PDA

View Full Version : What's "in" for HJ?

luvs2ride79
Mar. 22, 2011, 10:56 AM
So, my daughter is thinking of showing HJ this year, locally. No A rated shows, but I still want her to look good as they do hire good judges. She has a nice saddle, getting a better bridle soon, but I would like some advise on saddle pad and attire. I really like the half-pad only look, but I don't know if that's still "in."

Please let me know and post pictures!!

RxCate
Mar. 22, 2011, 10:58 AM
Half pad is definitely still in, though a nice fitted white pad is always classic.

The classic "Hunter Look" is navy blue or black jacket, white ratcatcher & beige or greeny/beige breeches, and of course spit shined field boots.

Depending on the color of her mount, you can experiment with jacket/shirt colors.

As long as everything is clean (mount & rider) and turned out with care, she'll look fine.

Name brands won't get you blues, a great turnout & good ride, will.

sarcam02
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:20 AM
really good rounds are the latest rage! ;)

Less is more - neat and clean. You don't the the most expensive by any means

Show pad should have very little excess white.

luvs2ride79
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:00 PM
Half pad is definitely still in, though a nice fitted white pad is always classic.

The classic "Hunter Look" is navy blue or black jacket, white ratcatcher & beige or greeny/beige breeches, and of course spit shined field boots.

Depending on the color of her mount, you can experiment with jacket/shirt colors.

As long as everything is clean (mount & rider) and turned out with care, she'll look fine.

Name brands won't get you blues, a great turnout & good ride, will.

She has a Haflinger with VERY thick white/blonde mane and tail. I know, not that great of a H/J horse, but this is her first year showing and she wants something "safe" to show in. They want to go with eventing next season. Right now we're teaching him quiet and nice over fences and around, so the H/J shows should be good for that.

She has a French Blue window pane jacket by Merigold that a friend gave me. It's so pretty with a peach colored shirt and pale tan breeches. Do you think that would be too "out there" considering she's already riding a non-traditional horse? These are informal shows, with many kids just riding in shirts and breeches, no jackets, but most will be fully outfitted.

luvs2ride79
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:02 PM
really good rounds are the latest rage! ;)

Less is more - neat and clean. You don't the the most expensive by any means

Show pad should have very little excess white.

Very good point of course :cool:. We're working on getting her boy to slow down and think before he flies. He's not really in to that, but endless gymnastics and flat work are finally getting him to slow down and look cute, not just fly around the jumps, lol.

I used to show H/J as a teen myself, back in the early 90s in Southern California (just C-rated shows), so I have an understanding about what is traditional. I just wanted to see if there were any fun trends going on.

RxCate
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:53 PM
I don't know that I'd do peach with a palomino.

The blue jacket is perfectly fine, and so is the haflinger! I think I'd stick with the white shirt/blue jacket to match his mane/tail but add a pop of color with the jacket. If she's young enough you can always add more color with cute braids/bows :)

HunterRider992
Mar. 22, 2011, 09:03 PM
Because of the recession, we're experiencing a return to more classic, traditional looks. Yes, there are a few twists (Samsheild/KEP/Antares helmets and Euro Seat breeches), but for the most part people have gravitated back towards very plain navy/black jackets, white shirts, and beige breeches.

luvs2ride79
Mar. 22, 2011, 09:35 PM
I don't know that I'd do peach with a palomino.

The blue jacket is perfectly fine, and so is the haflinger! I think I'd stick with the white shirt/blue jacket to match his mane/tail but add a pop of color with the jacket. If she's young enough you can always add more color with cute braids/bows :)

She would kill me if I tried to put braids in her hair, lol. She's 12 yrs old, but already 5'7" and all 'tude... :cool:

You're right, white would look better, less "pop" on al already "poppy" horse! What color breeches? Pale tan on a palmonino? I'm afraid silver/gray would blend with the coat to much and green khaki would be too dark.

snaffle635
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:17 PM
Go to this link for recent photos of hunters at HITS Ocala:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_videos?nid=25821

There are lots of pics to give you a good idea of what's in...almost all the riders have the same color breeches. I don't know if you call it tan or beige or khaki, but you get the idea.

If you follow the trends set by the top people, you probably won't go wrong. :-)

Everyone is using a fitted saddle pad.

If the peach is a soft pale peach and looks good with the blue jacket, I say wear it. If it's a bright peach, maybe take a pass and go with white. From far away, it's hard to tell the actual color of pastels. Oh, and go with a plain or embroidered collar - pins are not very popular.

Don't forget a belt and gloves (although not all riders in the photos are wearing gloves). It finishes the look.

I hope she has fun!

luvs2ride79
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks snaffle that was very helpful.

luvs2ride79
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:55 AM
I was looking at all of the different hunter albums on that web site and it occurred to me that most of the riders didn't really have that great of position over the fences, at least not compared to what I had drilled in to me as a teenager (and am now drilling in to my daughter, lol). Rider's rears too high, shoulders too low, looking down at the jump, toes stuck really far out to the side, heels not down that much, swinging legs, etc. Since it appears these are top rated shows, I expected to see a lot of "picture perfect" riders that I could show my girls as examples, but most it seems were "what not to do" type pictures in at least one thing or another. And there were almost no auto-releases, which is what I would expect from advanced or medal riders. Most were doing crest releases, even over big fences... ???

Do the judges not look at rider form anymore? Or have standards just dwindled? Is the horse's breed/color/conformation and the rider's clothes/tack more important than rider performance? Most of the horses looked nice, knee tucked, ears forward, etc. But most of the riders would have earned a dressage whip across the leg from my old jumping trainer, lol.

sarcam02
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:40 AM
Those hunter photos are judges primarily on the horse and its form over fences and under saddle. The equitation of the rider is far less relevant but a smooth performance is helpful.

snaffle635
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:55 AM
Sarcam is right. There have been ad nauseum threads on COTH about degrading equitation of hunter riders. My take is that whatever these folks are doing, it's getting a gorgeous jump out of these horses. You had asked about hunters, so I gave you hunter pics. If you want eq pics, we could probably dig those up too. :-)

callie208
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:59 AM
Those hunter photos are judges primarily on the horse and its form over fences and under saddle. The equitation of the rider is far less relevant but a smooth performance is helpful.

Sarcam is right, these are mostly judged on the horse, so the rider doesn't have to be perfect, but they do have to be effective. The kind of position you described is very trendy right now. Laying on the horses neck, jumping ahead, seat too far out of the saddle, no bend in the knee over the fence...I see it alot out there. And somewhere I recently read a George Morris quote about it, but at this point I couldn't even tell you where. Personally, I think if you can ride correctly you will get more out of your horse, but in the hunter classes it just doesnt seem to matter as long as the horse is nice enough.

Chezzie
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:21 PM
Do the judges not look at rider form anymore? Or have standards just dwindled? Is the horse's breed/color/conformation and the rider's clothes/tack more important than rider performance? Most of the horses looked nice, knee tucked, ears forward, etc. But most of the riders would have earned a dressage whip across the leg from my old jumping trainer, lol.

to answer this, i would quote trixie (from another thread bemoaning the decline of the hunter rider):

Why do we always forget hunters is judged on the horse, regardless of what the rider is doing? What wins is the horse who had the best course of that day. If that horse has a monkey on his back, it doesn't actually matter as long as the monkey paid all the appropriate USEF fees and is wearing an ASTM-approved helmet.

:)

luvs2ride79
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:39 PM
lol, very good ladies. Thanks for the informative and entertaining responses ;-).

justkidding1989
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:56 AM
The half pad i was taught was a look used when it was needed for the horse, or for adult or older teens, sheepskin fitted pads are very in but pricey, just a nice clean fitted pad is the way to go, you dont want to bring attention to the saddle pad, but your horses great movement and so on.

As for apparel...RJ Classic anything is in, navy colored hunt coats, Charles Owen GR8 or similar models, and Ariat boots...

Golden Pony
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:54 AM
OP - when my daughter was showing her Haflinger gelding in local hunter shows she always wore a dark green coat,white shirt, and light tan jods. I always thought they looked smashing and they got lots of compliments. Just remember to have fun!

justkidding1989
Mar. 24, 2011, 01:45 PM
Not saying that the green coat is wrong or anything, i think its great, but if your going for the fads per say, the green coats are a little old school, its what i always had till i was a teen, then the fads changed, but nothing wrong with the green

GingerJumper
Mar. 24, 2011, 03:27 PM
Upon no longer fitting my old coat, from an earlier trend and an earlier size, I went back to classic Navy... but with a twist ;)

It has somewhat bold navy-on-navy pinstriping, and vivid light purple lining. Just enough flash to look fashion forward, but not enough to clash with my silver bay varnish ;)

I'dRatherBRiding
Mar. 24, 2011, 05:33 PM
My navy Grand Prix jacket is about a size too small for me now, and I don't want to be stuck in my tan RJ Classic , so I've been checking out consignment stores for a good deal on a navy jacket, with no luck. Then I found this new with tags, solid navy, RJ Classics jacket on e-bay for $66, and I finally decided to go for it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250786235671&ssPageName=ADME:R:RC:US:1123
Does anyone think it's too plain? I wont have it until next week, but I was thinking I could spice it up a little with a patterned white on white shirt for the bigger classes, and my old lavender or turquoise shirts for more low-key shows. I haven't shown for a couple years, but I've heard what everyone has been saying on here about classic navy or black being in style, and I figured for $66 I couldn't go too wrong with it.

snaffle635
Mar. 24, 2011, 07:10 PM
My navy Grand Prix jacket is about a size too small for me now, and I don't want to be stuck in my tan RJ Classic , so I've been checking out consignment stores for a good deal on a navy jacket, with no luck. Then I found this new with tags, solid navy, RJ Classics jacket on e-bay for $66, and I finally decided to go for it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250786235671&ssPageName=ADME:R:RC:US:1123
Does anyone think it's too plain? I wont have it until next week, but I was thinking I could spice it up a little with a patterned white on white shirt for the bigger classes, and my old lavender or turquoise shirts for more low-key shows. I haven't shown for a couple years, but I've heard what everyone has been saying on here about classic navy or black being in style, and I figured for $66 I couldn't go too wrong with it.

If there's any way for you to check out the low end RJ's in a tack shop first, I would. I'm not a big fan of their Essentials line...I find the material to be a little rough in the finish and flat in the color. I'm pretty sure it's this one:

http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,8800.html

I haven't seen this one in person in a while, so maybe it's changed in the last few years.

I'dRatherBRiding
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:10 PM
Ahhh, that's why it was so cheap then! And I never considered it could be a wool-poly blend because my tan one from them is so nice, and all wool. I guess I can consign it if it's horrible, since I already bought it that is. Obviously a first-time e-Bayer:eek:
For the OP though, the consignment shops had a much better selection in childs jackets, I guess because there's more turnover, so if your daughter still fits in kids sizes it might be worth a look if you have one nearby.

forestergirl99
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:31 PM
I'dRatherBRiding: Keep looking on ebay though! I just bought an RJ Classics Prestige coat in black from a consignment shop on there(that allowed a 7 day return policy) for $124. I've seen them for sale for anywhere from $218-$250, but was never found a black one(the color I wanted). I LOVEEE it!!! It looks brand new. Lovely fabric, super flattering fit, and light enough that you won't burn up at summer shows. I can't wait to show in it. :D

SanJacMonument
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:52 PM
Green is popular in Texas with the Palaminos. Have fun and focus on a winning round and clean turn-out!

luvs2ride79
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:38 PM
The shows around here, everyone is in Navy and white... BLAH! Boring! lol I found a good deal on some kahki TS breeches second hand. She has a navy coat and TS look-a-like breeches in tan that she'll sell me for a song... I might get it just to see, but the Navy just kills me. I like the sound of the navy/navy pinstripe, but I'd really like to go a bit more "fun." I mean, she IS riding a Haflinger after all, lol. And a drafty one at that ;). I'll have to see how her french blue window pane jacket looks with the breeches. Maybe we'll go with a white shirt under that and see what the judges think. I think the lighter colors will look really smart on the lighter horse. We'll have a navy jacket for backup if it fails miserably :D.

luvs2ride79
Mar. 28, 2011, 11:44 PM
One more question. I really want one of those wide noseband bridles for her horse's ginormous head. Does anyone have any recommendations on more affordable brands or know of anyone selling one second hand? I just can't afford the nice Americanna one I have been eyeing right now and the super fancy Edgewood bridle is just WAY out of the budget, lol.

This is the one I'd really like, or something just like it.
http://www.justbridles.com/index.php?p=product&id=168&parent=0

I can get a nice Bobby's from a friend who deals for them for $140 plus shipping, but I'd really like to stay under $100. And budget brands worth buying? I really am a leather snob, but my daughter isn't the best at keeping her equipment up (what 12 yr old is, lol) and I hate to invest a lot in a bridle she may destroy.

Fashion Police
Mar. 29, 2011, 10:18 AM
Crown makes a really nice bridle for the money, and Dover has it on sale right now:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=MA%2D12215&qs=1

I think the Wilker's fitted fleece pad (quilted cotton underneath) is the most popular pad on the A circuit:
http://www.wilkers.com/show-saddle-pads.html
just make sure to order the right size (& type) for your saddle. There should only be about 1" showing around your saddle.

I don't think you'll find anyone showing in just a half pad, they're usually layered with a fitted pad (or square pad in jumpers).

Nilla Wafer
Jun. 29, 2011, 09:02 PM
about the bridle question -
i have an edgewood bridle for showing in, but i also have this:
http://www.smartpakequine.com/harwich-padded-fancy-stitch-bridle-by-smartpak-7215p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

and i have to admit, i think the smartpak bridle looks really good -- no one can tell it's my schooling bridle and i often leave it on for the shows.

pattnic
Jun. 29, 2011, 10:47 PM
One more question. I really want one of those wide noseband bridles for her horse's ginormous head. Does anyone have any recommendations on more affordable brands or know of anyone selling one second hand?

I can get a nice Bobby's from a friend who deals for them for $140 plus shipping, but I'd really like to stay under $100.

Look at Ovation... I got a wide noseband fancy-stitched job with reins for a friend for less than $100. Alternatively, you could get just the noseband from justbridles or the like, assuming you can find one that matches your current bridle.

chizzle
Jun. 29, 2011, 11:42 PM
Navy jacket, white shirt, beige breeches would be great particularly if your daughter is also wanting to event - as that would be great for eventing too. If the window pane jacket is fairly subtle she could also use that for eventing at the lower levels..

Bridles - love Bobby's some seem a bit nicer than the others. Having a horse with, how shall I say "kind intelligent head", be careful of getting too wide/thick a noseband as sometimes they exaggerate that part of the head instead of making it look better.

BAC
Jun. 30, 2011, 10:20 AM
. . .
Everyone is using a fitted saddle pad.

Not everyone. I have been noticing all of Betsee Parker's ponies go in a half pad, and no one wins more than her animals do, so its more than acceptable to show in a half pad. Personally I prefer a white fitted pad on hunters though.

Wholehearted
Jun. 30, 2011, 10:52 AM
At my last show there was a rider in a gray jacket, not dark gray, more of a medium gray and she looked very classy, but I like to be safe and stick with the navy jacket. I still see stock pins around but I think monogramming the ratcatcher looks much better. Ladies need to learn how to do their hair because putting it in a messy bun and sticking a hairnet over it looks like crap and like you don't care about your own appearance and from my last show, which did not require braiding, if you're going to braid your horse's mane and tail, do them both and make it look halfway decent or don't do it at all.

I thought it looked far worse to have an incredibly sloppy braid job than to not do it at all, especially since it wasn't required...

Other than that, TS breeches in beige, white or a very light pastel show shirt always with long sleeves(!) and a CO, GPA, IRH helmet.

BAC
Jun. 30, 2011, 12:10 PM
At my last show there was a rider in a gray jacket, not dark gray, more of a medium gray and she looked very classy, but I like to be safe and stick with the navy jacket. I still see stock pins around but I think monogramming the ratcatcher looks much better. Ladies need to learn how to do their hair because putting it in a messy bun and sticking a hairnet over it looks like crap and like you don't care about your own appearance and from my last show, which did not require braiding, if you're going to braid your horse's mane and tail, do them both and make it look halfway decent or don't do it at all.

I thought it looked far worse to have an incredibly sloppy braid job than to not do it at all, especially since it wasn't required...

Other than that, TS breeches in beige, white or a very light pastel show shirt always with long sleeves(!) and a CO, GPA, IRH helmet.

I haven't seen a pin on a choker since the dark ages LOL, at least not in the northeast (unless its on a stock tie, when fox hunting). Wrap collars shirts have taken the place of regular chokers. And I disagree about always braiding the tail if the mane is braided. Horses with a heavy show schedule frequently have their tails left unbraided in an attempt to help save their tails, and only braid for "special" classes like Classics, Derbies, etc.

gerut
Jun. 30, 2011, 12:18 PM
What about the Ladies Elite Signature Show Coat in Brown/Blue Plaid? I bought it at Dover because I liked the look/fit, but I haven't read anything about brown coats in the show hunter ring. http://www.doversaddlery.com/ladies-elite-signature-show-coat/p/X1-40388/cn/35/

Schune
Jun. 30, 2011, 12:33 PM
Everyone has done a fantastic job giving you pointers already, but I'd like to heavily emphasize what I consider very important - the FIT of the clothes.

A jacket could cost $500, but if it's too long in length, too broad in the shoulders, or short in the sleeves, it will look off no matter what. I was at a B rated show once and saw a SS rider who rode wonderfully BUT... the flaps of her jacket went almost halfway down her thigh. The jacket did not fit at all and made her presentation look sloppy.

I would take the Marigold jacket into a quality tack store and ask a sales associate to evaluate how it fits your daughter. If it needs to be altered, they could possibly have a recommendation as to who to use. It can be difficult to find a tailor that understands riding clothes and how they are supposed to fit.

Same advice boot wise - nothing looks sillier than boots that are too big in the calf or inches too short!

Best of luck :)

xxreddxheaddxx
Jun. 30, 2011, 01:06 PM
super shiny healthy looking horse!! nice, tall, well fitting boots, basically well fitting clothes.

BAC
Jun. 30, 2011, 02:25 PM
One more question. I really want one of those wide noseband bridles for her horse's ginormous head. Does anyone have any recommendations on more affordable brands or know of anyone selling one second hand? I just can't afford the nice Americanna one I have been eyeing right now and the super fancy Edgewood bridle is just WAY out of the budget, lol.

PM Lucassb, she has a wide noseband Edgewood for sale, and all of her used stuff looks like brand new. It might be posted on TheOutsideCourse.com - although I am not sure about that.

Ponymom64 also has a beautiful used, wide noseband Aramas posted on TheOutsideCourse.com, and I know she takes great care of her stuff.

lucyeq
Jul. 8, 2011, 09:23 PM
If you do nothing else, please, please, please make sure her hairnet/pigtails look neat. There is nothing worse than a badly done hairnet. Also, for the love of God, please don't get the dressage-y bun hairnet...

Hair rant over :)

I love the classic equitation look: black jacket, white shirt.

vxf111
Jul. 8, 2011, 11:15 PM
When did the puke green transition into the tanner-color? I feel like I missed that? I mainly show in my TS Supremes and/or Euroseat Trophy and was wearing those guys in tan back when the puke green was the trend... but ALL the photos in the slide show are tan tan tan. When did everyone switch? I feel like a trendsetter ;)

snaffle635
Jul. 8, 2011, 11:20 PM
When did the puke green transition into the tanner-color? I feel like I missed that? I mainly show in my TS Supremes and/or Euroseat Trophy and was wearing those guys in tan back when the puke green was the trend... but ALL the photos in the slide show are tan tan tan. When did everyone switch? I feel like a trendsetter ;)

I switched from the pukey green about 2 or 3 years ago. I don't consider myself a trend setter, but more a fashion lemming.

BAC
Jul. 9, 2011, 08:02 AM
vxf111m, tan has been the dominant color in breeches for several years now, at least in my area. I would guess about 3 years ago maybe more.

vxf111
Jul. 9, 2011, 09:38 AM
Shows how much I pay attention! I never really liked the way the TS 2 ways fit on me and they were the queen of the puke green... so I've been wearing tan the whole time. Now I'm "in." ;)

Koniucha
Jul. 9, 2011, 11:39 AM
Is it a big no-no to use anall purpose type pad that is white with say, a pink outline? This is for schooling shows.

Lucassb
Jul. 9, 2011, 12:34 PM
I would buy the nicest quality bridle you can afford, and teach DD how to care for it properly. Tack is not just about aesthetics but also about safety - and better quality is not going to be as prone to loose stitching, breakage, etc. I have any number of bridles that are literally a couple of decades old, and they are still perfectly nice and absolutely show worthy; I'd rather buy good quality once than have to replace poor quality over and over.

Marigold makes lovely jackets and the one described earlier sounds perfectly suitable. In the hunter ring, riders tend to have a bit more latitude in their shirt choices and peach would be perfectly fine if it flatters DD's coloring and doesn't clash with the pony's coat color. Tan has definitely replaced the old (awful) puke green, thank God... so those will be fine. The point is to make an elegant, attractive picture.

MOST people do not use half pads anymore, although there are exceptions, as BAC pointed out. On a less-traditional animal, I personally would be VERY conservative in my choice of tack and would use a plain, white, fitted pad.

(For the poster above, if by all purpose you mean a square pad, then no - typically that would not be correct for a hunter or equitation class, although it would be fine for the jumper ring.)

Do make sure the horse/pony is clipped up properly, with a neatly pulled mane (most do not braid for local shows) and everything shining with good care. The rider's clothing should be tailored to fit properly. The rider's hair should be neatly contained, whether in braids or put up in a hairnet under the helmet. BTW, all helmets MUST be ASTM/SEI approved now, so do be sure whatever you use has the proper sticker and make sure the chinstrap is properly adjusted. Dark gloves, a conservative stick, and spurs if needed should all be clean, neat and unobtrusive.

Have fun!

HappyHoppingHaffy
Jul. 9, 2011, 02:57 PM
I have a haffie, too, and I love the look of the big flat bridle on him.
I don't buy expensive bridles. Maybe it's just me, but bridles break so easily (as in pony puts a foot through it...never had a problem with rot or stitching) that I can't imagine spending big bucks on them. I buy inexpensive ones and take care of them. This one is an Ovation: (Please excuse the postion! I was trying to hunt in my dressage saddle as I had recently sold my jumping saddle in an attempt to only have one saddle. Dressage saddle + hunt field = not fun)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1595734&l=a3e91f7281&id=1068781776

another view later in the day...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1595733&l=81e81cc558&id=1068781776

Do you have any area hunts? It might be worth looking up what they consider formal hunting attire and following that protocol for your daughter? I wear what my hunt considers formal attire for the hunt field when I'm competing in dressage and eventing. Someday I hope to have my colors and I can't wait to proudly display them from the centerline. :) Good luck and have fun.

Koniucha
Jul. 9, 2011, 03:04 PM
Looks like you were having fun!

Fun Size
Jul. 10, 2011, 12:02 AM
@HappyHoppingHaffy - I am absolutely in love with your horse! I LOVE the haffies and being short myself I would love to have one. Maybe someday :) and I hope he will be half as cute as yours!

SarahandSam
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:18 AM
Fashion Police, thank you for the Wilkers link... I prefer the fitted pad look, but my horse needs a half-pad with shims in the back to make his saddle fit correctly, and so I use just the half pad for shows--now I can order a special Wilkers pad that has the lift in back! Yay!

kelsey97
Jul. 10, 2011, 08:56 AM
@HappyHoppingHaffy - I am absolutely in love with your horse! I LOVE the haffies and being short myself I would love to have one. Maybe someday :) and I hope he will be half as cute as yours!
Love your Haffy, he is adorable! :yes:

HappyHoppingHaffy
Jul. 10, 2011, 10:00 AM
He is a really fun guy. He's big (for a haffy) 15hh, 1200lbs, and I'm 5'5" and 140lbs; haffies aren't just for small people! We call him the little/big guy. ;) He's game for anything and has a huge personality!
To the OP, I'd love to see pics of your haffie and the attire your daughter wears. I can always use ideas on how to spruce things up!

Dakotawyatt
Jul. 10, 2011, 12:42 PM
I have a haffie, too, and I love the look of the big flat bridle on him.
I don't buy expensive bridles. Maybe it's just me, but bridles break so easily (as in pony puts a foot through it...never had a problem with rot or stitching) that I can't imagine spending big bucks on them. I buy inexpensive ones and take care of them. This one is an Ovation: (Please excuse the postion! I was trying to hunt in my dressage saddle as I had recently sold my jumping saddle in an attempt to only have one saddle. Dressage saddle + hunt field = not fun)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1595734&l=a3e91f7281&id=1068781776

another view later in the day...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1595733&l=81e81cc558&id=1068781776

Do you have any area hunts? It might be worth looking up what they consider formal hunting attire and following that protocol for your daughter? I wear what my hunt considers formal attire for the hunt field when I'm competing in dressage and eventing. Someday I hope to have my colors and I can't wait to proudly display them from the centerline. :) Good luck and have fun.

OMGosh, your horse is the most darling thing I've seen in a while! You guys make a GREAT pair!:yes: