PDA

View Full Version : Trading Saddle question

Pixie0304
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:18 AM
I am considering trading my saddle for another one.
My saddle is an HDR advantage, 16.5, 5 years old, but excellent conditions. bought it for 500 euros. ( 700 $)

the thing is , I like it a lot,but let's face it, my butt is not fitting really well in the 16.5 anymore....
I might need to get 17,or 17.5 depending the model.
and it does not fit all horses I ride.

my question is , is it worth trading it ? and what other saddle brand could I trade it for?
I am looking for a saddle with interchangeable gullet system if possible as I don't own a horse right now, I ride different horses.

I have heard from some people on another forum HDR advantage are lower quality saddle because this line of HDR are not made with French leather, but Argentinian.

thanks in advance for responses!!

potterma
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:31 AM
Ya, I've noticed that the HDRs don't really do much breaking in. We have two out at our barn and they're a few years old (I think) and still basically rock-hard leather. If you're looking for a gullet change system, I'd try out the Bates. My best friend has one that's super soft and nice to ride in. I'd suggest selling your saddle on ebay or craigslist. That's what I've always done with my used saddles and it works out pretty well. Good luck!

findeight
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
Saddle seats measure the length of your femur, not the size of your butt.

But less expensive saddles sometimes are not very carefully sized and sometimes the proportions are not carefully considered so the seat never does really fit and match up with flap angle and length and where the stirrup bars are set as a better saddle does. That is one reason they are so far under what an average saddle would sell for.

No knock on the HDR brand for what it is, I got a bridle for schooling for under 85usd. The browband was way too short and I had to swap it out with another old bridle, the noseband was way to big so had to punch some extra holes-and it stretched out pretty bad...but it's good enough to school in.

That brand is also usually made in S.A with leather tanned in S.A using whatever tanning processes allow mass production. Your French leathers on more expensive saddle get alot more time and care. That's what makes the difference, not where the cattle were processed-and they can ship S.A hides to France (and do) and take more care in processing.

Anyway, you can expect at least a 30% drop off your original retail price...and if it goes as a trade in or on consigment in a tack store? If you get 50% of that you will be lucky.

That's ANY saddle brand. A 2200 used Butet was a 3400 saddle when new.

I'd sell it privately. Probably easier to sell then a pricey one these days, ask about 300, take 200 if you have to.

Pixie0304
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:49 PM
Ya, I've noticed that the HDRs don't really do much breaking in. We have two out at our barn and they're a few years old (I think) and still basically rock-hard leather. If you're looking for a gullet change system, I'd try out the Bates. My best friend has one that's super soft and nice to ride in. I'd suggest selling your saddle on ebay or craigslist. That's what I've always done with my used saddles and it works out pretty well. Good luck!

thanks, my saddle is actually pretty soft, I have been treating it really nicely since I bought it.
I heard about the bates that they all have the CAIR system which I do not like very much.

I also heard Collegiate have gullet change system. and wintec, I was just wondering if any other brand did too

Pixie0304
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:53 PM
Saddle seats measure the length of your femur, not the size of your butt.

But less expensive saddles sometimes are not very carefully sized and sometimes the proportions are not carefully considered so the seat never does really fit and match up with flap angle and length and where the stirrup bars are set as a better saddle does. That is one reason they are so far under what an average saddle would sell for.

No knock on the HDR brand for what it is, I got a bridle for schooling for under 85usd. The browband was way too short and I had to swap it out with another old bridle, the noseband was way to big so had to punch some extra holes-and it stretched out pretty bad...but it's good enough to school in.

That brand is also usually made in S.A with leather tanned in S.A using whatever tanning processes allow mass production. Your French leathers on more expensive saddle get alot more time and care. That's what makes the difference, not where the cattle were processed-and they can ship S.A hides to France (and do) and take more care in processing.

Anyway, you can expect at least a 30% drop off your original retail price...and if it goes as a trade in or on consigment in a tack store? If you get 50% of that you will be lucky.

That's ANY saddle brand. A 2200 used Butet was a 3400 saddle when new.

I'd sell it privately. Probably easier to sell then a pricey one these days, ask about 300, take 200 if you have to.

thanks for your input,

I wasn't sure about the seat size measured by the femur's length, for some reasons I feel like the saddle does not fit me anymore. maybe it is just me ?

I was actually thinking on trading it or sale it and buy a used saddle. tack store will take a percentage of the sell I suppose so not much left for me in the end to get another one.

do you know any gullet change system saddle ? or have experience with them ?

findeight
Mar. 22, 2011, 01:00 PM
IMO, some riders change their position and balance in any saddle over time. or they started as a beginner and now are simply stronger and more aware they are sitting too far back or reaching for irons that are not under their hips as they should be.

In that way, you can grow out of a saddle. I would guess the way the seat is shaped on that HDR is pushing you back against the cantle which would make it feel too small. Nothing wrong with that for a beginner saddle, it is the safety seat. Not so much when you advance.

Far as the adjustable gullets? Some of the synthetics, like Wintec, offer them and a few leather ones too. Not a fan unless you are riding multiple horses with the same saddle. Just think they promise more then they deliver in fit but some people love them.

Whatever works.

Pixie0304
Mar. 22, 2011, 02:09 PM
thanks again findeight, but my saddle was bought 5 years ago, I have been riding for 13 years though...

my saddle ended up fitting my OTTB mare perfectly, as the saddle was bought in France and was a gift, so I was really lucky for that one. I would have probably not go for this one if I would have chose it myself.
anyhow, I do not have my mare anymore and I ride multiple horses, so, different size and shape. I was told the gullet system would be my best fit right now. I have never use one before, but I have heard lots of good things about them and I have to say that in my position right now, the gullet change would be really helpful. I might not get another horse for a few years so I need something for now.
I am a little scare about the fact that even with gullet change, it might not fit every horse, although the companies claim it will

potterma
Mar. 22, 2011, 02:34 PM
There's another thread about leather saddles with adjustable trees. Maybe you can find some enlightenment ;)
http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286369&page=3

I don't know much about the adjustable trees, just know that the Bates and Wintecs have them. But after scanning this thread, I think Collegiates have the option, and they're a lower-cost option if that's what you're looking for. And if you'd like to get the most from your saddle, definitely sell it yourself. Ebay's super easy to use!

SonnysMom
Mar. 22, 2011, 02:50 PM
I looked at a new Pessoa that has interchangable gullets.

I found my Beval Devon fit 90% of what I rode. Just not my current horse but he has a really tough back to fit. You can sometimes pick up a used one for a decent price. I think Rick's Heritage has one. They will ship for a trial.

findeight
Mar. 22, 2011, 03:30 PM
I am a little scare about the fact that even with gullet change, it might not fit every horse, although the companies claim it will

Nonsense, of couse it will not fit every horse...and the gullet does not change how the rest of the saddle fits. But it does get it to where you can do a little creative padding to get it better then it was.

Pixie0304
Mar. 22, 2011, 04:04 PM
There's another thread about leather saddles with adjustable trees. Maybe you can find some enlightenment ;)
http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286369&page=3

I don't know much about the adjustable trees, just know that the Bates and Wintecs have them. But after scanning this thread, I think Collegiates have the option, and they're a lower-cost option if that's what you're looking for. And if you'd like to get the most from your saddle, definitely sell it yourself. Ebay's super easy to use!

thanks for that other thread sharing ;)

Pixie0304
Mar. 22, 2011, 04:05 PM
I looked at a new Pessoa that has interchangable gullets.

I found my Beval Devon fit 90% of what I rode. Just not my current horse but he has a really tough back to fit. You can sometimes pick up a used one for a decent price. I think Rick's Heritage has one. They will ship for a trial.

never heard of the Beval Devon, but I will look into it, thanks ! :D