PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Butet?

smileyrileyxoxo
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:13 AM
I am looking for a new saddle, and from the get go I crossed Butet off my list because I had heard that they are bad for the horses backs. But recently, I heard that they are some of the best. I have heard chiropractors say they love them, and others say they hate them. Whats your opinion? Also, how would you compare their fit with other saddle such as CWD's?
Thank You in advance and I apologize if this thread has been done already!

DMK
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:17 AM
I think Butet got a bad rap when they first started selling here since they came in only 1 tree size... but everybody wanted one. That one tree size happened to work for my horse so it was all good, but he is a knife withered horse. I can see how a saddle that worked on my horse wouldn't work on a broader flatter back.

But now they come in humpty bjillion options, so I'm pretty sure it's like any other saddle: did you buy the one that fit your horse?

findeight
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:20 AM
The Butet has a bad rap because some people are stupid and buy the label instead of the fit-and they have stupid trainers that don't know the difference between a saddle that fits and a designer label that does not but looks good in the tack room.

It all depends on what you prefer assuming it does fit. there are a ton of options in seats, flaps, blocks, and so forth. It also depends on what you are doing-if you jump higher, you will probably like a deeper seat that puts you farther back then a floaty Hunter at 3'6" max. two point needs.

One knock on them is the French glove like leather is not durable and usually will need repair around 8-10 years of regular use (especially if you wear jeans). But they are now available in other leathers. Also, if you like the fit and feel of a Butet, look at the Luc Childerics.

BAC
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:26 AM
I agree with DMK and Findeight about their reputation. As long as it fits your horse correctly, the Butet is a wonderful saddle, I love riding in one. I ended up buying a CWD and it is "more saddle" than the Butet, but the important issue is that it fit the horse you are buying it for.

KateKat
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:01 PM
They're nice and agreed that if it can fit your horse and fits you, well, you've found the glass slipper :)

I haven't ridden in one, but I have done a side by side comparison of them to Antares and CWD and the Butet is definitely more streamlined and flatter. Older models (over five years) definitely don't seem to "fit" as many horses as more modern saddles. Also, I agree about the leather. A woman at my barn who has had hers for less than 10 years had to get the seat replaced, and she never rides in jeans. I also feel like it tends to put some people in a chair seat, I think because it seems relatively flat it tends to invite it.

BAC
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:09 PM
Also, I agree about the leather. A woman at my barn who has had hers for less than 10 years had to get the seat replaced, and she never rides in jeans. I also feel like it tends to put some people in a chair seat, I think because it seems relatively flat it tends to invite it.

The Butet, as well as Antares, CWD, etc. can be ordered with flat, half deep and deep seats, so they are not necessarily more flat than other saddles. The Butet is less padded but just as comfy IMO. Maybe that's what you mean when you say it is flat?

And the newer Butets are being made with a more durable leather as well. Still, unless you have a buffalo leather saddle I would not ride in any high end French saddle in jeans, I always wear breeches.

findeight
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:45 PM
.... I also feel like it tends to put some people in a chair seat, I think because it seems relatively flat it tends to invite it.

Yes, it can. But that suits some people who prefer to stay behind the horse a little and drive as many WB types need. For a rider that is unaware and unable to sit properly that way on a saddle that does not fit, that translates in to the infamous "Butet back"-sore right at and behind the cantle.

Newer models are set up to place you more forward and have a little more padding under the cantle. The Childerics are very similar but almost like an Antatres with the cantle support/padding and they center the rider in a more traditional position over the stirrups.

Some of the other saddles like a CWD have larger flaps and seat area-less streamlined but weight distribution over a larger area then the French saddles. The TC uses a leather sort of pad thing, does the same thing.

You have to sit in them and ride in them and consider what you need for what you are doing and jumping. Elegant and streamlined or more support and weight distribution.

So much depends on the rider and how they ride as well as the actual fit of the saddle to the horse.

KateKat
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:50 PM
The Butet, as well as Antares, CWD, etc. can be ordered with flat, half deep and deep seats, so they are not necessarily more flat than other saddles. The Butet is less padded but just as comfy IMO. Maybe that's what you mean when you say it is flat?

And the newer Butets are being made with a more durable leather as well. Still, unless you have a buffalo leather saddle I would not ride in any high end French saddle in jeans, I always wear breeches.

I don't know if the Butet offered that variety of seat sizes on their older models-the three in my barn are all flat and over five years old, but its entirely possible the riders just ordered the flat seats at the time. And I feel like the seat is flatter than say a CWD flat seat, Butet flat seems more along the lines of a County Stabilizer.

BAC
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:54 PM
I don't know if the Butet offered that variety of seat sizes on their older models-the three in my barn are all flat and over five years old,

They did, the first ones I rode in were almost 10 years ago and some were flat seats and others deep. CWD is a "cushier" type of saddle, Butet is more streamlined. Both comfortable but with each with a much different feel to them.

KateKat
Mar. 22, 2011, 01:14 PM
well, I stand corrected then ;) They are lovely saddles though, I wasn't dissing them in any way.

MintHillFarm
Mar. 22, 2011, 01:52 PM
Love mine - both the 20 yr old + one and the 2004 model though the latter has more delicate leather in the seat.

I am guilty however, as I always ride in chaps and jeans.

myalter1
Mar. 22, 2011, 01:56 PM
i love mine..it's a 2000, deep seat with a padded flap and no blocks (it's pretty flat compared to other saddles) but i had to get a new saddle (antares) b/c the butet didn't fit my horse...That being said, i DID NOT sell my Butet...I just couldn't bear to part with it. As DH said, maybe some day you will have a horse that it fits...gotta love my hubby!

EquineLVR
Mar. 22, 2011, 02:02 PM
Well I love mine - its a 2010 model with the french tree..deep seat and long flaps.. completed changed how well I could ride over fences..

It also seems to fit a vast array of my horses.

mepkkg
Mar. 22, 2011, 02:10 PM
They are lovely saddles, though the only one I've ever ridden in wasn't mine and I thought it seemed to put me in a chair seat, not sure what the seat depth on it was. Everyone else who's sat in her saddle seems to love it though and I've always heard good things about them.

luckeys71
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:08 PM
Want one! Currently trying to find one old enough that I can afford it! My horse has decided she hates me in my Bates Elevation H, but is perfectly happy in the Butet and I love the Butets. Fortunately, my barn has a couple in the school, so I've been able to ride in one without owning one, yet. The trainer did just get a new Devoucoux, because she was having discomfort issues in her Butet (which is one of the ones I currently I ride in). I got to ride in her Devoucoux and it was HEAVENLY! It was like sitting on nothing. Anyone want to buy a kidney, so I can get me one of those?

smileyrileyxoxo
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:34 PM
Thank You guys for your answers! They are quite helpful

speculation07
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:43 AM
I just ordered the 2009 deep seat model with slightly forward flaps and blocks, it arrives today I am THRILLED! I have been waiting forever for one with the right specs to come along used in my price range. I found that the butets were more close contact with the horse than the CWD's or PJ's I tried and I ride hunters so a really deep seat isn't necessary the Childric make me to forward on the pommel but that could have been cause it was a little small. When trying to do flatwork in the other saddles it was harder to wrap my legs around and have a constant feel (but that could be other things than the sadldle too).

Good Luck on your search!!! I will let you know how mine works out!

JumpWithPanache
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:52 AM
I'm in the same boat as luckeys71... horse dislikes current saddle but loves the Butets. Since I've started keeping an eye out though I can't seem to find the right combination in a used saddle. The Butet I'm using is a forward flap model which puts me in a bit of that chair seat unless I really work at keeping myself centered. The long and forward flap really gets me wonky... so I'm looking for a straight up extra long. Anyone have one hanging around that they want to get rid of?

speculation07
Mar. 23, 2011, 11:10 AM
Ok it just came via fedex to my office and its much "cushier" than every one I have tried so I am DYING to try it out after work today!!!!

barnbum2096
Jul. 23, 2013, 06:11 PM
So I read these reviews when i was in the process of looking for a saddle. Mind you my current saddle was a HDR that is probably close to ten years old. It is still in fantastic shape and it is very comfortable but it was time to upgrade. My trainer kept telling me don't buy a new low end saddle like a pessoa, buy a high end saddle like a butet and she was set on it. I chose to listen to her because she is brilliant and is showing in grand prix's every weekend so she definately knows what she is talking about. Anyways I began searching for a used Butet but, we are not the richest people in the world and spending more than 3,000 was going to be a stretch for us. If you don't know this new Butet's sell for around 5,000. To me that's a car haha :D. Anyways I found a 2011 that had barelya been used it was dark brown and gorgeous, short flap 16". I had read that butet's run large and so even though my HDR was a 16.5 everyone I talked to said it would be ok. I am only 5'1 so I was also told the short flap would be a good idea for me. We did end up spending a little bit more than expected but I got the stirrup leathers and the $100 butet custom cover with it which when I got it was a bit dirty but washed up in one wash and looked brand new. When I opened the box I was in love with how it looked. The first time I decided to ride in it I got to the barn and was riding one of the larger lesson horses and I would have never thought that the billet straps would have been to short. I was literally in the middle of the barn isle waiting to start my lesson and about to cry because I thought something was wrong with the saddle and I had gotten tricked by the seller. Anyways one of the girls told me I just needed a girth extender from dover which I was thankful for. Long story short I used to love my HDR but now I know what all the hype was about. MY BUTET IS AMAZING!!!! It's like riding on a comfy cloud. I will say I would recommend a regular flap just to help with the billet straps yes the short flap is good because I'm so short but then you have to deal with the extra stuff by your leg which you can't even feel. Would recommend a butet to anyone and everyone!!!!:)

wishfulthinking711
Jul. 23, 2013, 06:26 PM
My boss has a new 2012 Butet that is absolutely the most comfortable saddle I have ever sat in. Even when we get new CWD's or Antares in we compare. Nothing better than that Butet! She hopes it never sells as it is "her" saddle because it is that amazing! Personally never ridden in one though, just sat in it.

Kenike
Jul. 23, 2013, 06:27 PM
^ Or you could just go with a larger girth...

I'm going to be the dissenter. I had two. My older one I loved. It (mostly) fit a wide range of backs and I never felt like I was sitting in an odd position. One day while riding one of the ponies I heard a crack. It was on the landing side of a straight-forward vertical. Tree broke. No more 1991 Butet.

My newer one only even remotely fit one horse out of the dozens I tried to put it on. Even on her it put me in a chair seat that was nearly impossible to ride. If I put a riser under it, I could at least post the trot. I gave up on it and sold it. It just wasn't worth it.

FTR, I am a pretty decent rider. There are those here who can vouch for me on that fact. If I'm saying the chair seat was too much, it was REALLY too much (I have no problem riding behind the motion in a chair seat. Sometimes you catch ride and take what comes to you. I've won many times in this position).

I'm not saying they're bad! I'm just saying I'd suggest test riding on your horse before plopping the money down. Then again, I'd suggest that for any saddle!

butiwantedapony
Jul. 23, 2013, 10:51 PM
I had an older Butet that I picked up online for $500. It was in decent shape but the seams on the seat were split hence the low price. I found it extremely comfortable. It appeared to fit my horse very well (and pretty well every other horse I put it on). However, after regular use, my horse became very sore in his back from the saddle. He had never had back soreness issues with other saddles. I sadly sold it after that. Be VERY careful with fit on the Butet - it really appeared a near-perfect fit on this horse and still caused a sore back. I believe the thinly padded foam panels were probably to blame.

Alternative1
Jul. 24, 2013, 02:52 AM
I love my Butet!!! Don't like riding in anything else!! I did have to have the seat replaced but now it is good as new. Mine fits pretty much everything in the barn.

barnbum2096
Jul. 24, 2013, 05:17 PM
I thought about getting a bigger girth however that wouldn't solve the problem completely depending on each horse. The girth extender will help with all different size horses. Plus I had already bought a new Toulouse jumper girth that I wasn't getting rid of!!!!:winkgrin:

STA
Jul. 24, 2013, 06:34 PM
My Butet is a 1991 and I had to have the seat and knee pads replaced some years ago. I have had twenty horses during the time I have owned my saddle and have not experienced any problems. I love it and would not consider selling it for any other saddle.

westie55
Jul. 25, 2013, 09:24 AM
I ride in a butet and it is by far my favorite saddle of any I've rode in including most of the other top names. I ride a variety of horses (and sometimes ponies!) and I've never had a problem with the fit. I definitely recommend butets.

Donkerbruin
Jul. 25, 2013, 11:45 AM
I love, love, love my Butet. I believe it is a 1995 model. Have never had to have anything replaced on it. It is flat seat as opposed to deep. Tried a deep seat Butet once and couldn't stand it. I have yet to encounter a horse that my Butet wouldn't work on. It is fabulous, and extremely comfortable! However, I would never buy a Butet without riding in it first...they are all different.

woops
Jul. 26, 2013, 04:02 PM
I customed ordered mine and Chris from be all who is one of their fitters was awesome.
The panel design of mine allows freedom under the stirrup bar
Total contact with rear panels
Front panels allows freedom of shoulder and does not come down on withers.
It is a regular tree but the panels give a totally different fit than the standard butet. If you really love them like I do go to effort and customize it. I love mine , no regrets

kafesoap
Jul. 26, 2013, 06:56 PM
My 2001 Butet was the best saddle that I have ever owned hands down - I felt the most comfortable in that saddle. I would buy another in a heart beat if I could find one from that time period. I love my Voltaire but I am a total Butet fan (my horse unfortunately is not).

They are not for everyone, they are on the flatter side and they do not fit every horse - but no saddle does.

The leather is delicate - I would say a little more so than the other Frenchies in calf options.

There is some variance in the model year by year. I loved my 2001. I also loved my friend's 2000 and another's 2002 was pretty good. I purchased a 2010 and did not like it at all so I resold it. Didn't have the magic that the 2001 had though the specs were about the same on it. So I would not consider a 2001 comparable to a 2010 in my experience.

As far as comparing them to a CWD or other brand, they are flatter and much less saddle overall - less cush/padding - but I prefer that.

Chair seating - I would point a finger at a Devoucoux for throwing more riders into a chair seat before I would peg a Butet.