PDA

View Full Version : Saddle fit

Imaginagent
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:10 AM
I tried searching but could not find a thread, so if someone could direct me that would be great. I have a saddle fitting question.

I have a Classic Saddlery saddle with an adjustable tree for my 16hh quarter horse who is wide in the shoulder but has big withers. So I have the tree open enough so that it does not feel tight on my hand when I put it under the saddle, but when I ride, it sinks down too far so that the channel is not clear. What should I do?

I have a Beval wither relief half pad. I also saw a post where someone used the sticky shelf liners to pad certain areas, but about where would I put them? Any help would be great.

KateKat
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:23 PM
my horse is the same fit, minus being wide. Basically, she needs a supportive enough panel back behind the wither (if that makes sense) to help hold the saddle up, and then some extra padding on the sides of the wither so it doesn't slip down too far. It also helps that her back is a little curvy, so the banana shaped trees fit relatively well without correct paneling, and the pommels are relatively high enough to clear her withers. I don't have the additional challenge though, of also needing a wide tree.

But, this is why I am getting a new saddle. Mine right now, with pads, just does not get the job done and presses down on the wither area like you're describing and fixing it with pads isn't the solution I personally wanted to pursue. But, if you can find some way to pad up the underside of the panels from the withers back, that would probably help. I know a pad manufacturer has been discussed on here that specializes in Endurance pads that has one that performs this function. Maybe someone else with a better memory than me can chime in...

Imaginagent
Mar. 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the help. That is about what my saddle does, goes down in front near withers. The actual front of the saddle does not hit the withers, it is a little further back that sinks more than is right for it to.

KateKat
Mar. 22, 2011, 01:45 PM
definitely sounds like your panel just isn't deep enough for your beast. Thats the issue I had with a lot of off the rack saddles, they were not built up enough. So...now having to go the custom route.