PDA

View Full Version : Price of a 6 month lease

4sslack
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:13 PM
What would be an average lease price for a 6 month lease on a Hunter/Eq horse that has shown successfully? It would be an out of state lease, unfamiliar customer, but with references...Is insurance always charged on top of what the lease price is? Looking for some direction...and a lease agreement if anyone has one that is standard..Thank you!

whatnow
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:23 PM
Generally it is 1/3 of the value of the horse for the year. That is then broken down into a monthly rate. Person leasing the horse assumes all bills, insurance, vet, board, training, shows etc.

The owner carries the insurance policy but when I've leased, they have billed me per month for the policy.

For periods less than a month, it is generally a more expensive monthly rate. Say horse is worth $36K, 1/3 of that is 12K or 1K/month plus other expenses for an annual lease. For a six month lease many times it is more than that per month especially if it ties it up for something special like medal finals etc. If the horse is a sales horse and can be sold out from under someone, there is generally a clause in the lease that allows that to happen. Sometimes, the lease is discounted if the owner needs the horse shown and seen.

It really depends on what your goals are for leasing a horse. Is it income, getting a horse sold, break from paying bills etc?

Many times people are VERY specific on what can and can't happen with their horses if they go out of state. We had one horse that had a limit on the number of classes to be shown each day. Others have specified who is able to ride the horse other than the person signing the lease (trainer, professional riders etc)

If the person if thinking about buying the horse but wanted a lease trial period, then generally a portion (or all) of the lease fee will go toward the purchase.

4sslack
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:29 AM
Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate it!