PDA

View Full Version : Home-made Paddock Drag?

sahqueen
Mar. 21, 2011, 02:49 PM
Has anyone ever made a home-made paddock/pasture drag? I have a few ideas in mind but haven't actually started building anything yet. I need something that a mid-sized lawn tractor can pull...

mustangtrailrider
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:28 PM
6' chainlink fencing connected to steel pipe at each end. Section of chain bolted to steel pipe. Have a caribiner to connect it to the lawn tractor. It is honestly too wide. It is ideal for a large pasture, but not for a small paddock. I think that 4' wide by 6' long would be perfect....It was easy!

crosscreeksh
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:40 PM
We use a piece of hog panel ($14 for a 3.5' by 14' sheet), cut down to 3.5'x5' (or any workable size you want) with a car tire (or wheel) fastened to a cleavis (ring) at the rear of the lawn mower with a short chain or rope. Nice handy size. Turn the wire so the cross pieces are toward the ground and it really works well. It works better for us than the chain link which seems to bounce over the piles of poo too easily. We recently made a drag with the same material, but 7 feet wide and about 10 feet long with pipe at the tractor end and another heavy piece of pipe 3/4 way down the drag for added weight for doing the big pastures.

lorilu
Mar. 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
I have seen a few of these: 4 ft. chain link fence gate, with two cement blocks chained on top for weight. Chains to attach to back of ATV/mower.

L

horsetales
Mar. 21, 2011, 08:22 PM
6' chainlink fencing connected to steel pipe at each end. Section of chain bolted to steel pipe. Have a caribiner to connect it to the lawn tractor. It is honestly too wide. It is ideal for a large pasture, but not for a small paddock. I think that 4' wide by 6' long would be perfect....It was easy!

We used an old chain link gate, so we didn't have to add pipe and then weighted it with a couple free used tires

mroades
Mar. 21, 2011, 08:40 PM
hog panel and a 6x6, eyebolts and a chain..good to go

kari
Mar. 22, 2011, 10:56 AM
Not sure of the measurement on it, but I think it's a 5' section of chain link fence, probably 10' long, so it's folded in half (which makes it pretty heavy), stuck a pipe through it, ran a big section of chain through the pipe, and bolt the chain together. hook it onto the tractor or farm truck and voila!

Chardavej
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:08 AM
I have heard of some people stripping a mattress of it's cloth and using the metal box and springs as a drag. Attach a few cinder blocks to the top and chain to the tractor.

goeslikestink
Mar. 22, 2011, 01:07 PM
Has anyone ever made a home-made paddock/pasture drag? I have a few ideas in mind but haven't actually started building anything yet. I need something that a mid-sized lawn tractor can pull...

yeah- i use an old chian link door and metal frame brilliment it is and makes smaller poohs and cover any holes and picks up any stones and horrid weeds been doing it this way for 30yrs and paddocks are clean and lovely and i use an old tow rope

sahqueen
Mar. 25, 2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the ideas...I was thinking of using chain link, but was having trouble finding a piece. Didn't even think of the hog panels...I have lots of left over pieces sitting around after building the mini's stalls.

lostkiwi
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:51 PM
I have seen a few of these: 4 ft. chain link fence gate, with two cement blocks chained on top for weight. Chains to attach to back of ATV/mower.

L

yep, exactly what we use too, towed behind our riding mower.
Works just great.

SunkenMeadow
Mar. 25, 2011, 02:58 PM

This. We love ours. Simple & easy