PDA

View Full Version : H/J Boarding A circuit barn - North Houston

dcm
Mar. 21, 2011, 02:46 PM
My daughter is thinking to relocate to Houston (yay since I already relocated here this past summer), and wants me to look into boarding (and the costs of) her mare. More than likely she will be in the The Woodlands/Magnolia/Tomball area.

She would need to have a good trainer for her very arrogant and opinionated mare, but not have pressure to show until her budget allows. The barn would have to be an A circuit barn for when she finally can. Her mare is trained as a hunter, but is one of those horses who needs to have a good trainer to keep her mind where it should be. Emphasis on a good horse trainer for a very arrogant mare. Mare is really just naughty with a humorous streak (i.e. too smart), not a bad bone in her. I could go on and on, but it would take way too much time and effort. LOL. We really love this mare. :yes:

PM is fine as is a response here. If the barn has a website, we'd love a link. Thank you in advance!

sly9977
Mar. 21, 2011, 10:52 PM
:)www.slyfieldfarm.com

Tha Ridge
Mar. 21, 2011, 11:31 PM
Check out the THJA (thja.org) website for a preliminary list of trainers.

When she is ready to show, what level does she want? You say "A" circuit, but does that mean 6+ weeks at a winter circuit and indoors or just regular Texas "A" shows?

dcm
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks Sly & Tha Ridge. We're just doing some preliminary exploring. She may decide not to make the move for now.

Daughter has shown regional A's around Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, and Kentucky. She did get to spend one lucky winter at WEF, but she's on her own dime now. Their last show was 2 weeks at Traverse City last year just hanging out. This year her work schedule and finances won't permit summer horse shows. Her horse is currently in a bigger show barn and has known this barn for years so there is no pressure for her to show.

I'm not sure what regular Texas A shows mean, but I suspect the same as the A's in the midwest, only in one state. (LOL)

I did check out thja.org, but find myself not quite knowing how to determine which side of Houston the barns are on without clicking the links if there is one. It's been 20+ years since I lived here, this ain't the same town. :winkgrin: The biggest fear is having a trainer who can't manage the mare. We'll get through them, and make a few phone calls.

Thank you for the links and all.

hjeq
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:41 AM
Tony Font... Timber Ridge Farm

HiddenAcres
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:18 AM
IME the Peter Pletchers, Tony Fonts, Will Roberts tend to pressure you to show. They make their money in the double dipping fee structure, like other A trainers nationally do. In other words, they train on the road, and if your horse is not on the road, it don't get "rode". Shannon Slyfield on the north side, Patty Roberts in town, and Katie Lambert Boone inbetween the two stay home a lot more - or at least are in Dallas instead of Florida, or Kentucky.