PDA

View Full Version : pelham bit converter w/ rein placement?

Sonoma City
Mar. 21, 2011, 01:20 PM
I don't know if this product exists, but if it does I'm sure someone here would know about it! I'm looking for a bit converter for a pelham which you can adjust so that your reins either have more or less leverage. With regular bit converters, your rein will pretty much sit in the middle of the converter strap. I have a high port bit, and would like the option of riding with one rein, but would not want it to be placed such that the port is harshly engaged. The real problem here is that I don't need the action of a pelham, but I found a bit with a mouthpiece that I really like and can't find it in a plain snaffle! Thanks!

Reagan
Mar. 21, 2011, 01:30 PM
I have never seen something like this, but I don't doubt it exists.

If you can not find the converter why not just ride with two reins and just keep the curb rein loose? This would honestly be my first option, especially if you dont want any curb action.

zakattack
Mar. 21, 2011, 01:30 PM
As long as you are not showing, just use one rein attached to the "snaffle" ring of the pelham. Then you only have one rein that will have little leverage.

Elmstead
Mar. 21, 2011, 01:41 PM
If you don't need the curb action/leverage at all then just attach your rein to the snaffle ring.

If you are looking to have that much precision with a converter (specific rein placement, etc), then you would probably just want to use two reins....the two reins will allow you to apply pressure to either the curb or snaffle, or both as needed.

Sonoma City
Mar. 21, 2011, 01:51 PM
I use the Pelham when riding out so wanted to use the converter so I don't have to deal w/ two reins. I might have to figure out a way to rig something up myself! Thanks for the ideas!

justblu
Mar. 21, 2011, 02:30 PM
Check out saddleseat tack places. I've seen a converter for a double bridle that has independent adjustment for each bit. Would problably work for your purposes and I know I've seen them for under $20.

pattnic
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:21 PM
Sure... it's called an Uxeter Kimberwicke! :lol:

JK - I see the reason you ask is because you like the mouthpiece. I would think that it ought to be possible to rig such a thing. Maybe it could work with some of those rubber keepers, or rein stops with the excess trimmed off?

CHT
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:30 PM
There is such a device! They sell them in Europe, but I have yet to see one sold over here. A decent saddle maker should have no trouble whipping one up for you though.

What it looks like is a normal rein to the top ring of the bit, then to the bottom ring is a shorter strap that buckles on to the top rein (in sort of a sideways V). You can adjust the tightness on the curb by moving the bottom strap higher or lower up the rein.

Makes much more sense than the converters I tend to see, and looks almost the same as if you had two reins.

Madeline
Mar. 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
If you look at close up photos of Hickstead, Lamaze seems to achieve the effect with electric tape. If it's good enough for the Olympics and World Championships...

FAHN
Mar. 21, 2011, 08:06 PM
is it something like this?
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-018&ids=1005191468

then you could stretch these to put on and create the rein placement?
http://www.doversaddlery.com/rubber-rein-stops/p/X1-012/cn/4694/

War Admiral
Mar. 21, 2011, 08:10 PM
Oh for heaven's sake, just learn to use two reins. Six-year-olds can do it.

wanderlust
Mar. 21, 2011, 08:38 PM
Oh for heaven's sake, just learn to use two reins. Six-year-olds can do it. Why do you have to be a jerk? I don't see where the OP said she couldn't, she said she didn't want to when hacking out. Which is understandable, especially if you have to open gates and/or mount dismount.

I'd go with the electrical tape option, myself.

Sonoma City
Mar. 21, 2011, 08:39 PM
Oh for heaven's sake, just learn to use two reins. Six-year-olds can do it.

I'll have a little chat with Eric Lamaze and let him know that the two of us should learn how to use two reins together ;) Heck, maybe I'll even invite Rodrigo along since he clearly doesn't know how to use them either!

Ahem, now that's out of my system. Thanks for the ideas everyone. CHT, that sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

War Admiral
Mar. 21, 2011, 08:59 PM
Sorry if you think I'm being a jerk. I just don't hold with "Because I don't feel like it" kinds of excuses, particularly when the effect on the horse's mouth is likely to be detrimental.

Besides, opening a gate with double reins while holding a fox-hunting whip with furled lash really is NOT that difficult (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/goonrgrrl/avery/hands2_gate_halting.jpg). (Note: my LH is higher than it should be - I was backing, and had slipped the reins a hair so that the photographer, who was shooting me from the ground, could get both hands.)

It just takes practice. Do the time. Your horse will appreciate it!

wanderlust
Mar. 21, 2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry if you think I'm being a jerk. I just don't hold with "Because I don't feel like it" kinds of excuses, particularly when the effect on the horse's mouth is likely to be detrimental. Oh for god's sake, using a converter isn't abuse. But you keep on with your purist self-righteous self.

izzy 2
Mar. 21, 2011, 10:23 PM
CWD makes these, item # AL01:
http://www.cwdsellier.com/?currentPage=Collection&family=BR

They are pricey ($100/pair). I've seen cheaper versions on sale for $25 range at Kocher's tack and Bevals

ohsopersuasive
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:10 AM
I have both the CWD and the cheaper pair on show bridles for my horses. I love having the option to loosen off the curb rein without changing the chain. It's a lot quicker than fiddling with chains 1 or 2 horses out. The CWD ones were longer, and were a higher quality leather. The cheaper ones are shorter; and great for the horse I have them out - super short. They replaced a nylon curb strap and electrical tape.