PDA

View Full Version : Large stall size or storage area?

morgansnmind
Mar. 21, 2011, 01:27 PM
We are about to fix up the stalls in our barn. When I bought it I had 5 roughly 10x10's. Since I currenly only have 2.5acres (though we would like to buy the 2.5acres next door in a couple of years) I don't need 5stalls. So I was planning on making 3stalls and 1 storage area but now I'm not sure. The biggest stall would be my mare's (who is a neat freak) a 10 x 17 1/2..second would be a 10x14. Next would be a storage area 6x10, and then the fourth stall 10x12 . The 10x12would have the only window..though I do have plans to put another in the biggest stall on the other end sometime in the future.
Is it better to have a place to put a few item likes wheelbarrel and few haybales or it it better to have a bigger stall than a 10x12? There's limited places where I can put the walls because of the doors and openings in the cinderblock fronts.

Lady Counselor
Mar. 21, 2011, 01:33 PM
As I can tell you from experience, go with as much storage space as you can. You avoid cluttering up your work areas then. I have 10x12 stalls and they are fine for my horses (who range up to almost 17H)

deltawave
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:38 PM
You will never regret having more storage. :)

How many horses do you have or plan on having? You KNOW what will happen if you have 3 stalls and 2 horses, right? ;) Nature abhors a vacuum.

Horses can do just fine in 10x12 stalls. You can always rotate them if they have to stay in for long periods of time so each has a chance to lounge around in the bigger stalls.