PDA

View Full Version : Meet my new fella! (From the VA sale!)

AliCat518
Mar. 21, 2011, 10:34 AM
I went to the VA Sport Horse and Hunter Sale for the first time last Saturday. It was a cool experience! Picked out 3 horses that I really liked during the "classes" in the preview. After watching the jumping class, it was clear who I realllly wanted. Vetted him. All was good. Didnt have a chance to ride him, but I was fine with that.
Of course his hip # was laaate, so we had to wait and wait and wait. (Which I didnt mind too much...it was fun to watch!) Finally, the bidding started. There were 4 or 5 people bidding on him, which of course was nerve wracking. Finally, it was over and he was mine :D

I LOFFFFF him. He settled in nicely and made a BFF. I rode him a tiny bit yesterday and he is fabulous! Amazing gaits...so responsive. I cant wait to start working him consistently!

Through a little COTH stalking, ive realized that im pretty sure I "bought" him from a COTHer. SideSaddleRider, I believe it was you!

Here's a few of the hundred pictures ive taken of him! ;)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=31207071&aid=2245343

Hopefully the link works!

citymouse
Mar. 21, 2011, 10:47 AM
He's lovely!

What is he?

AliCat518
Mar. 21, 2011, 10:49 AM
Hah I guess I left out a ton of details. He's a 16.2 TB gelding. Wonderful personality and nice gaits. I'm going to use him as a hunter. I havent shown recently, as my other gelding had surgery a year ago, so this guy will be my new show horse!

citymouse
Mar. 21, 2011, 10:55 AM
well CONGRATULATIONS!

Of course you will have to keep us all updated by posting pictures from home and at the shows! Enjoy him!

barnbum81
Mar. 21, 2011, 11:22 AM
Congrats! How exciting!

KBEquine
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:00 PM
Congratulations -

We watched him go through the ring & commented on how nice he was!

Mayaty02
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:16 PM
Jeffrey! Congratulations, I love him...I rode him a bit last year at sidesaddleriders, even did a show :) he's a sweetie. Good luck with him!!

SidesaddleRider
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:27 PM
JEFFREY!!!!! :):):):)

I'm so glad to see he settled in well, and that you liked him when you rode him. He has had a LOT of flatwork, so he had better darn well be responsive! :lol:

ridingmomof3
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:31 PM
congrats! he's beautiful.

MyGiantPony
Mar. 21, 2011, 04:00 PM
Jeffrey is such a cutie - I was so glad to hear he went to the perfect home!

AliCat518
Mar. 21, 2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks everyone! Im SO SO SO excited to start riding him all the time and showing soon. He's really been perfect with everything so far. Gets along great with all of the other horses and even the "bullies" seem to love him and dont bully him at all!

witherbee
Mar. 21, 2011, 04:35 PM
He's gorgeous - looks like a big warmblood! I also have a gray "Jeffrey" too funny. I really like his looks and it sounds like he has a great temperament too! Congratulations.

Claudius
Mar. 21, 2011, 04:48 PM
Why would a lovely horse like that be in an auction???

Mayaty02
Mar. 21, 2011, 05:09 PM

he was in a quality auction with a reserve, what's wrong with that?

TarheelJD
Mar. 21, 2011, 05:14 PM
Congratulations - he is lovely! There is nothing quite as exciting as bringing home a new horse, and getting to know him/her.

AliCat518
Mar. 21, 2011, 05:15 PM
I was VERY impressed with this auction. You get to watch the horses go (w,t,c, j), then you're given the chance to ride and vet the horse. You can check out the horse thoroughly in his stall also.
This sale was very different than what I think when I hear "Auction." There were many very nice ponies and horses there. Prices ranged from a couple hundred dollars to bidding up to $34,000(which didnt meet the reserve).

CBoylen
Mar. 21, 2011, 05:46 PM
Congrats! Glad to hear you found the right one after your disappointment with the last vetting. Sometimes things happen for a reason!

AliCat518
Mar. 21, 2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks CBoylen! I was definitely disappointed that the other horse didnt vet, but this horse is SO much more what I was looking for. (Much more expensive, of course, but im glad it worked out this way!) I would much rather spend a little more money for what I REALLY want! :)

SidesaddleRider
Mar. 21, 2011, 08:57 PM

As MayaTy02 said, it is a quality auction, and he had a reserve on him. I certainly was not giving him away! He is a very nice horse, with a good show record, no soundness issues, no vices, well-broke, a good mover, and excellent jumper. I welcomed anyone who wanted to vet him at the sale -- there was certainly nothing to hide! He really spoke for himself. http://cherryblossomfarm.net/Jeffrey.html

The sale is good exposure for my farm, as not only are there a couple hundred buyers in one location looking at your horse, there are even more people who received the auction catalog. If he hadn't sold, people saw him, can remember him, and hopefully think of my farm and the nice horses I have for sale when they are looking for their next horse.

In Europe, auctions are common. They have gotten a bad rap in the US because of the low-end auctions that are found across the country. The PAS Hunter & Sport Horse sale is not like that. To give you an idea of the quality of horse that you can find there, I bought my former A/O horse (who was also champion at Harrisburg in the ladies' sidesaddle) before a PAS auction that he was entered into. http://cherryblossomfarm.net/quest.html

I have bought several horses either before or after the PAS auction they were entered into. And I think that everyone who "knows" me here will attest that I have a "thing" about having only NICE horses -- they had better be sound, be really good movers, jump well, and be nice to look at. ;)

I personally couldn't be more thrilled about Jeffrey's new owner. And without the auction, she might not have found him! So I will continue to be a fan of, and patronize, the PAS auctions.

pony4me
Mar. 21, 2011, 09:06 PM
Jeffrey! So glad you found a good home! Your other momma in Tennessee will be so happy! She doesn't post on here any more, but I'll ask her if it's ok to pass on her COTH name so you can keep in touch.

He's a really nice horse, and has placed well in shows. He was well started, by a knowledgeable person, and SSR continued with his training.

Good luck, and enjoy!

RugBug
Mar. 21, 2011, 09:12 PM
I went to the VA Sport Horse and Hunter Sale for the first time last Saturday. It was a cool experience! Picked out 3 horses that I really liked during the "classes" in the preview. After watching the jumping class, it was clear who I realllly wanted. Vetted him. All was good. Didnt have a chance to ride him, but I was fine with that.
Of course his hip # was laaate, so we had to wait and wait and wait. (Which I didnt mind too much...it was fun to watch!) Finally, the bidding started. There were 4 or 5 people bidding on him, which of course was nerve wracking. Finally, it was over and he was mine :D

I LOFFFFF him. He settled in nicely and made a BFF. I rode him a tiny bit yesterday and he is fabulous! Amazing gaits...so responsive. I cant wait to start working him consistently!

Through a little COTH stalking, ive realized that im pretty sure I "bought" him from a COTHer. SideSaddleRider, I believe it was you!

Here's a few of the hundred pictures ive taken of him! ;)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=31207071&aid=2245343

Hopefully the link works!

I haven't read the anymore of this thread, but it must be Jeffrey. I've always heard such wonderful things about him.

Brydelle Farm
Mar. 21, 2011, 09:19 PM
Congrats on the new edition!! Good luck this show season! ;)

back in the saddle
Mar. 21, 2011, 09:19 PM
Do you remember what the German Riding Ponies sold for?

Which one had the 34k reserve?

Are the sold prices listed anywhere?

riverpup
Mar. 21, 2011, 09:30 PM
Congratulations! And congrats to Jeffery! I got my forever horse (#1) at that sale at Frying Pan Park on June 17, 2000. Changed my life and there could not have been a better horse out there for me.

3Dogs
Mar. 21, 2011, 10:05 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!:yes:

I sold a horse through PAS some years ago and thought they very professional, horse sold well - win win

- nothing at ALL wrong with buying at an auction, specifically one run by PAS.

KBEquine
Mar. 21, 2011, 10:24 PM
Do you remember what the German Riding Ponies sold for?

Which one had the 34k reserve?

Are the sold prices listed anywhere?

Catalog is at:
http://www.professionalauction.com/11VAsp.htm

Prices are in post #30 at:
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293172&page=2

You should be able to find any GRPs there.

kayteedee
Mar. 21, 2011, 11:09 PM
Enjoy, he's lovely!

AliCat518
Mar. 22, 2011, 10:10 AM
It's so cool how many of you know (and love!) Jeffery!! I'll keep you guys updated all the time...probably too much! I'm about to head out and play with him right now. :)

pleasantmeadowfarm
Mar. 23, 2011, 09:19 AM
I was at the VA Sale as well and kept commenting on what a NICE gelding he is. Best of luck with him and I hope your other mount makes a full recovery~

MintHillFarm
Mar. 23, 2011, 01:36 PM
Seems like a really lovely horse! Lots of luck and congrats to seller and buyer!

PlatinumVt
Mar. 23, 2011, 05:43 PM
He's soooo handsome!!! Congratulations!