PDA

View Full Version : Draw Reins?

mosmom
Mar. 21, 2011, 10:09 AM
How effective would Draw Reins be if you used them 1x a week for approx. 1 hour?
I work at a lesson barn and there is an older TB that is very mellow - can take very beginners to advanced riders with no problem. One of the instructors started using Draw Reins on him (without asking the BO)and now he seems very confused. One of my beginner students rode him yesterday (she rides him all the time)and after a couple minutes on him she asked what is wrong with him. He looked like he was going to fall on his face. One of the other instructors noticed this too. Could the Draw Reins be the cause of this? I told the BO and she plans on stopping it right away.

supershorty628
Mar. 21, 2011, 11:39 AM
Draw reins - used properly - can be great. Used improperly, they can be a problem.

When you say he looked like he was going to fall on his face, what do you mean by that? Was he really heavy? On his forehand? Stumbling?

my_doran
Mar. 21, 2011, 12:49 PM
agree with above post about improper vs proper use...my look on it,is if he looked like he was going to fall on his face,to me that mean there was to much contact(to short)on the draw reins making him drop his head way too low.
i would use draw reins in a contact situation,but slightly longer then you would do with just your everyday rein.draw reins are just used as a secondary tool to teach the horse how and where his focus of frame and contact should be,and working more from his back then just of his front end.remebering to have enough leg as well.
using draw reins for 30 min is quite a bit...couple rounds around the ring in both directions should be enough to utilize them well ,then take them off and ride like they were still there.
its up to trainer and BO but im just saying how i have used them....personally i wouldn't let a beginner use them, unless they hand good rein control etc with there hands..but thats me.

mosmom
Mar. 21, 2011, 01:09 PM
I'm sorry I should have clarified. But yes, he is very heavy on the forehand and he was not like that before. I do know that they used them on him for about an hour and also jumped with them on too.

kgro632
Mar. 21, 2011, 04:22 PM
I'm sorry I should have clarified. But yes, he is very heavy on the forehand and he was not like that before. I do know that they used them on him for about an hour and also jumped with them on too.

Eeeeek!

eclipse
Mar. 21, 2011, 04:31 PM
If he's an older school horse why on earth would they even think to put draw reins on him in the first place? Poor guy sounds confused and the fact that he's now heavy and leaning tells us that they were probably misused. Time and place for everything, but probably not this time!

holaamigoalter
Mar. 21, 2011, 05:40 PM
My favorite quote:

"Riding in draw reins without spurs is like going to the bar with no underwear on. You're just waiting to get f***ed."

Tuesday's Child
Mar. 21, 2011, 10:16 PM
holaamigoalter - :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

my_doran
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:26 AM
eeeek is right! i wouldn't jump with them either.thanx for classifying. if he wasn't heavy on forehand before they were used then,i wouldn't use draw reins on this horse at all.
my question also for this is "what made instructor think horse needed to be ridden in draw reins in first place? for example was horse doing something or going in a way that suggested they need to be used etc.
and yes agree that draw reins are being the cause and BO is right to stop it.JMHO

just kind of getting a picture in my mind,as there is no pic or vid to go on.before draw reins and with draw reins.

tallygirl
Mar. 22, 2011, 01:03 AM
My favorite quote:

"Riding in draw reins without spurs is like going to the bar with no underwear on. You're just waiting to get f***ed."

you owe me a new keyboard (drink went everywhere)!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

tallygirl
Mar. 22, 2011, 01:07 AM
My favorite quote:

i had to use it for my signature!! it was TOO good to pass up! :lol:

doublesstable
Mar. 22, 2011, 01:14 AM
Sorry but I cannot get this out of my mind now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Ts4M3irWM

tallygirl
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:17 PM
choo choo!! :lol:

findeight
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:26 PM
There could be 50 things causing this aging schoolie to stumble. Draw reins may or may not be one of them and they sure are not helping. Wouldn't be my choice for sure. But it's not my call or my horse.

However, you did the right thing and only thing you can do by going to the BO on this. Sometimes when you work for barns with multiple instrctors on shared school horses? Stuff like this comes up.

With any luck, the BO will say something-but I would not hold my breath based on many years of past expereince with this kind of thing.

Have you thought of POLITELY asking that other instructor her theory behind using them? After all, you are a professional instructor using the same horse. It's fair IF you stay polite and don't argue. Maybe you will get lucky and she will rethink it on her own. Or not.

There really is not much beyond that you can do when you use somebody else's schoolies to teach on.

MIKES MCS
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
I'm gonna be blunt, There are just to many stupid people in this world who call themselves trainers. Draw reins, Old TB school Horse ?? Seriously, what a poser.