PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Would you go to a "B" show trainerless?

LunaTheGreyMare
Mar. 21, 2011, 12:18 AM
Would you go to a "B" show trainerless?
Why or why not?

Renn/aissance
Mar. 21, 2011, 01:22 AM
I should hope I know how to ride well enough to not need my hand held- A show, B show, or otherwise! Can, have, and will continue to do so.

sansibar
Mar. 21, 2011, 01:38 AM
I did an A show without a trainer before, when an old coach refused to come with me. My friends came to be my jump crew/eyes on the ground. It ended up being the only time the bugger jumped clean that year.

And I have done plenty of schooling shows without coaches.

I love having my current coaches there at the shows, however I feel I have been prepared enough so that if they are ever not there I will be able to handle it, especially at the lower level shows.

PNWjumper
Mar. 21, 2011, 02:14 AM
I do all of my shows without a trainer (AA, A, B, and other) and have for the last 10 or so years. The only time I have an issue with not having a trainer (in the schooling ring and at home) is when I'm schooling big jumps and WISH someone else would set up the big oxers so I wouldn't have to see them before I'm headed towards them :lol:

With that being said, I rarely did a show without my trainer when I boarded at a training barn, but not because I "needed" the trainer, more because I enjoyed the companionship of the rest of the barn and always went to the shows they went to....and the majority of people went where the trainer went.

fourmares
Mar. 21, 2011, 02:30 AM
Sure... My trainer wouldn't have done her job if I couldn't manage to show without her. Even if she is ther she can't coach me in the ring. The biggest problem is getting a decent warm-up. Without a trainer you'd better be willing to stand up for yourself since some of the trainers seem to think they own the warm up jumps.

doublesstable
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:01 AM
I have and will again no problem. I like riding with a good trainer, love the support and help, however recently I wanted to go to a few shows that the trainer I was riding with was not going, so I went anyway.

I'm hoping in the future to be able to go with a really nice barn (trainer) and group of people.... kind of miss the socialization part of it... but being a moody gal, sometimes I just like to go off on my own and relax with just my horse....

findeight
Mar. 21, 2011, 12:08 PM
Sure, why not if you know what you are doing and have a nice horse that knows what it is doing????

But, I voted "maybe" because greener riders can get nervous and/or continue to develop bad habits over fences, green horses can suffer meltdowns or forget everything you thought they knew...and a B show is still an awfully expensive place to perpetuate problems.

flash1
Mar. 21, 2011, 12:40 PM
Would you go to a "B" show trainerless?
Why or why not?

Go to all shows w/o trainer....

morganpony86
Mar. 21, 2011, 02:11 PM
I should hope I know how to ride well enough to not need my hand held- A show, B show, or otherwise! Can, have, and will continue to do so.

:yes::yes::yes:

Florent
Mar. 21, 2011, 02:28 PM
That's an interesting post....

I would go to any kind of show without a trainer as long as I have the experience and expertise to perform properly by myself.

My only question to all: how do you set up your warm-up jumps? Dismount/remount every time? Do you use the jumps set up by other's trainers?

Rockfish
Mar. 21, 2011, 02:52 PM
I went to all my B shows last year trainerless and ended up Champion for my division! My trainer and I work real hard the week before, to compensate for her not being there. The only pain in the rear part is that I usually go by myself, so I have to put the horse back on the trailer if I need to pee or something.

chi.adult.hunter
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:04 PM
I have done it and will not do it again. It just isn't the same -

(*) Even as an adult, the show office treats you differently when you show up without a trainer. That can go for the in-gate ppl as well.

(*) You need someone on the ground for warm-up, at the least. Otherwise, you are going to warm-up over whatever jump you can catch, at whatever height it was last set.

(*) Camaraderie - forget it. Unless you are horse showing with a fellow group of trainer-less riders, it's going to be a very quiet week. Non-horsey family members, god bless them, will only make the situation worse.

(*) God FORBID you get hurt, have serious horse troubles, your horse plans a great escape in the middle of the night, etc. ... You do not want to be solo in those situations.

If you want to go to the horse show alone, at least set something up to meet a trainer on site. (Have your trainer at home arrange something, or pull out your horse contacts to meet up with a friend's trainer, etc.) Even if it takes a recommendation from a recommendation from a recommendation, you will eventually find someone who knows someone at the show. You don't have to stable with them. (In fact, I'd suggest not stabling with them. It will keep the costs down and allow you to have the independence you were aiming for when deciding to come alone.) However, the borrowed trainer can alleviate several of the problems I mentioned above.

DMK
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:06 PM
The only thing I can say about the above post (and I bet PNWJumper agrees) is:

Your mileage may vary

;)

AliO
Mar. 21, 2011, 04:01 PM
I took 3 horses to a show this past weekend, without my partner, and when I was closing out someone came up to me and said "Did you bring ALL [3] those horses, in that BIG trailer [6 horse gooseneck] here all by yourself?" I looked at her with a puzzled look, and said "Yes? It was supposed to be 5 horses, and thats my little truck..." She responded with "I hope my kid grows up to be like you!" lol

It's nice to have a trainer, or just someone there, but more so for schooling (setting jumps and the like) or holding a horse for me, or polishing feet and boots before I head in the arena. I'm totally fine going out to show by myself though. I feel like there is less pressure.

Janet
Mar. 21, 2011, 04:06 PM
I picked the first one, but in fact I know of no "B" shows around here. Mostly A and a couple of C (e.g., Warrenton).

I have been to A JUMPER shows by myself, and would again. There is definitely an advantage to having a trainer there, but I wouldn't let the absense of a trainer stop me.

On the other hand, I am much less confident about hunters, and I would be less likely to go to a B (or A, or even C) HUNTER show without a trainer.

I have found the office staff (even ones I hear compalints about) to be very accomodating as long as I am polite.

Yes, a BNT has more pull at the ingate, but I have generally found the in gate crew to treat me fairly, w or w/o a trainer.

Setting jumps can be an issue.

I prefer to focus on my riding - I am just as glad not to have the "camaraderie" of a bunch of other riders as a distraction.

I fully agree that YMMV.

morganpony86
Mar. 21, 2011, 05:54 PM
I have done it and will not do it again. It just isn't the same -

(*) Even as an adult, the show office treats you differently when you show up without a trainer. That can go for the in-gate ppl as well.

(*) You need someone on the ground for warm-up, at the least. Otherwise, you are going to warm-up over whatever jump you can catch, at whatever height it was last set.

(*) Camaraderie - forget it. Unless you are horse showing with a fellow group of trainer-less riders, it's going to be a very quiet week. Non-horsey family members, god bless them, will only make the situation worse.

(*) God FORBID you get hurt, have serious horse troubles, your horse plans a great escape in the middle of the night, etc. ... You do not want to be solo in those situations.

1) I have never had the office or gate people treat me differently. In fact, the gate people always sneak me in whenever I want to go for my O/F or jumper round instead of waiting for trainers who have clients in other arenas.

2) I've also never had a problem with schooling arenas & fences. The fences are usually set at the height of the division that is currently going, which, if I'm on my horse, is usually the division I'm in.

3) I have a lot of friends that I met at the shows, so I hang out with them and their respective barns. I also often made friends with the show staff, which was great.

4) I have been thrown, had horse troubles, and truck/rig problems. I have never had to handle those situations by myself! I can always find someone (oftentimes a stranger) who is willing to help crack the whip behind my monster who won't get in the trailer, or change my trailer tire because I'm scared I won't get the lug nuts tight enough, or catch my pony who decided that running through the barn was a great option after pitching me on my a$$. ;)

tamarak_equestrian
Mar. 21, 2011, 06:25 PM
I haven't been to B shows alone before, since I've never had to, but I wouldn't hesitate to go by myself since I've been to C shows alone and stood in for a coach at a couple A shows. My barn isn't doing B shows anymore, so if I did decide I wanted to do one, I would have to go myself but I'm an adult and I do most of my riding without a coach anyways. I've been showing long enough that I know what I need to do, I usually have my mom to set jumps for me and if for some reason she isn't able to do so, I just ask a trainer I've met before if I can share theirs.

I do most of my office/in-gate stuff myself even when I'm with a coach, so I've never found that to be a problem. I actually find it easier to get in the ring when I'm alone, because I can swap off with anyone and be ready to go at any place in the order since I don't have a trainer with conflicts to wait on.

mvp
Mar. 21, 2011, 09:44 PM
Showing alone ROCKS for the same reason that traveling alone does: You meet more people.

If you have it together and are nice, then office staff and gate crews are more than accommodating. Usually, its the well-organized lone ammy who causes few problems and is happy to wait her turn. It can be refreshing for folks bossed around by trainers of all sizes.

I would like a pair of eyes on the ground for the Hunter warm ups.

Jumpers I can usually do by myself, though it's nice if I can get friendly with someone setting fences.

You people showing 3 or more by yourself? My hat is off to you. I do my own work and there's no way I could do three. I can groom more than that, but two just about killed me when I was showing both.

*Liz*
Mar. 21, 2011, 10:44 PM
My only question to all: how do you set up your warm-up jumps? Dismount/remount every time? Do you use the jumps set up by other's trainers?

First, I start by schooling my horses in such a way that I don't need 23 warm-up jumps before a class, usually less than 6 will get the job done, and I only need 1 or 2 of those to be at height or better.

Second, you make a fast friend and say something like "I'm here alone, mind if I use your jump a bit between your riders?" Usually the response is "sure, no problem" since you aren't asking them to change anything for you and you're only going to jump 'their' jump a handful of times.

doublesstable
Mar. 21, 2011, 11:56 PM
....<snip>...But, I voted "maybe" because greener riders can get nervous and/or continue to develop bad habits over fences, green horses can suffer meltdowns or forget everything you thought they knew...<snip>...

Well wait a minute! I'm not a green rider (well I shouldn't be after riding as long as I have - but often I wonder) and "I" get nervous AND develop bad habits without a show involved! :lol:

Uggg I need to go take some lessons!

I do believe if you are in a training barn, in a good training program your success rate is much better. :)

kayteedee
Mar. 22, 2011, 12:08 AM
Absolutely but I do bring a friend or hubby to help on the ground. My horse can on occasion be a pill to trailer so I can't just throw him in if I need to pee! That'd be the one time he'd refuse to load after sensing my urgency!:winkgrin:

my_doran
Mar. 22, 2011, 01:35 AM
lower level shows i don't need a babysitter/coach.i am new to rated so currently still learning ropes at that level so i make sure i take trainer/coach with me.

bumknees
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:40 AM
I have in the past and will again. Mosty because of geographic location between myself and reputible trainer ( ie about 75miles each direction). But because when I do take lessons I feel confident in my skills to be able to cope. AND I feel confident in my choice of trainers to teach me how to do things well enough to b able to do on my own. I do not think I could be attached to a trainer ( even if in a 'show/training' barn) to where I would be 'forbidden' to go to shows on my own. After all would it not be a 'feathe' in the cap' of trainer if his/her clients were taught well enough to where they could do things with out them?
Green rider first year of showing yeah sure ''should' have trainer somewhere close by but once out of schooling and lower nonrated shows why?

PNWjumper
Mar. 23, 2011, 12:03 AM
The only thing I can say about the above post (and I bet PNWJumper agrees) is:

Your mileage may vary

;)

Hahaha! Yes, I would completely agree with this :lol:

I get all sorts of perks from the show office and I end up "training" with a variety of people who help me set jumps (from BNTs to random parents), though I usually bring a helper with me to set the jumps in case no one else is around (which can often be the case if I'm in the big classes that run at the end of the day and often after the other rings are done).

It's all a little bit more "spur of the moment" than some people might be comfortable with, but I have an absolute blast showing by myself. And I certainly don't feel that I'm missing out on any camaraderie.....I can usually pick who I want to have dinner with as well as which barn I'd like to hang out with during the day (if I don't have my own people there). In fact, I have a lot more friends as a "loner" than I ever did as part of a barn because you're not in that semi-insulated atmosphere of being part of a small group.

As for the safety of the horses (at night in particular)....I don't see it as any different than being part of a big barn. I hire someone to clean my stalls and water my horses specifically so that I've got someone other than me to keep an eye on them all day and all night (and I make sure to let them know that I'm using them for that as well as making sure they have my contact info in case something happens).

I think it comes down to how outgoing and comfortable you are. If you make friends easily and don't sweat the small stuff, going alone can be a blast! If you aren't terribly outgoing, and need to have a super regimented preparation protocol, then I think having a trainer there can make it more enjoyable.

I guess the way I would sum it up is that going to a show alone can be whatever you make of it.

H/J Anonymous
Mar. 23, 2011, 04:14 PM
I would definitely go. However, some trainers do not allow it all. That is not the program I am in though. It depends on your training level, what you are comfortable with and if it is allowed in your current program.