PDA

View Full Version : Riding in sunglasses...

Beethoven
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:57 PM
How many of you do it? Do you show in them?

In the summer, when the sun is out really bright, I do ride in them. I have never showed in them, but imagine I would in the jumpers. Would it look weird in the hunters?

Just my random thought for the evening. ;)

norcalammie
Mar. 20, 2011, 10:03 PM
I ride and have shown in sunglasses. Many people do not like the look but I have light sensitive eyes and without sunglasses I squint something terrible. Better to protect my sensitive eyes than try to ride without.

Get a pair that fit well and that do not slide around your face as nothing worse than having them slide around when you are on course!

Beethoven
Mar. 20, 2011, 10:20 PM
I ride and have shown in sunglasses. Many people do not like the look but I have light sensitive eyes and without sunglasses I squint something terrible. Better to protect my sensitive eyes than try to ride without.

Get a pair that fit well and that do not slide around your face as nothing worse than having them slide around when you are on course!

Thats also why I wear them. My hazel/green eyes are very sensitive to sun! I thought of this because I had a migraine coming on today because I rode my first horse without them. I took some migraine medicine and hopped on my second one with the shades! I have the perfect ones that I even forget I am wearing! $10 at Target! Can't beat that!

snaffle635
Mar. 20, 2011, 10:40 PM
There are numerous threads about riding and showing in sunglasses. I do it because, like you, I am very susceptible to migraines. I wear them in the hunters. I think they look ridiculous and I don't like my pictures where I'm wearing them, but I'd rather wear them than suffer a shattering headache later in the day.

GM rides in them often. I figure if it's ok for GM, it's ok for me. :-)

GraceLikeRain
Mar. 21, 2011, 12:25 AM
I don't show but I school in them April-September. I would rather look a bit silly then deal with watering eyes and a massive headache.

JinxyPoo
Mar. 21, 2011, 12:33 AM
I sometimes show in my (huge) sunglasses if the sun is really bright. I have blue eyes and contacts so my eyes are really sensitive. I can't be outside even if it's cloudy without sunglasses. I've even had to wear them when it was raining a couple times! I don't like the way I look in small sunglasses normally so I don't have any, but with huge ones and a helmet I look like a total fool! But I don't have to squint or have watery eye problems. Someday when I have money I'll get a pair of those special sports sunglasses.

A big pro rider, I think it's Maggie Jayne? rides in sunglasses all the time so it's definitely not totally bizarre for hunters!

ETA: it is her, found a pic from Devon: http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_videos?page=20&nid=20313

ParadoxFarm
Mar. 21, 2011, 10:11 AM
I lesson in them, but have not shown in them. I don't know that I would rule it out though, if I needed them! I remember years ago seeing a picture of I think it was Don Stewart on the cover of Practical Horseman wearing sunglasses in the hunter ring.

PNWjumper
Mar. 21, 2011, 11:19 AM
I ride and show in them.....any time it's sunny.

AliO
Mar. 21, 2011, 11:35 AM
I wear sunglasses almost every second I'm outside. I havent shown in them, but I think I'm going to start.

jump4me
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:20 PM
I wear regular glasses (which I am "blind as a bat" without) which have Transitions lenses- so yes, I ride and show in my glasses/sunglasses year 'round. I get a headache if I'm out in the sun squinting without sunglasses, which is why I switched to the Transitions lenses several years ago. :cool:

tidy rabbit
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:22 PM
I ride and show in them.....any time it's sunny.

What you said. :) Ditto. Copy that. Righty-0!

DNB
Mar. 21, 2011, 04:40 PM
I have very light blue eyes and they are extremely light sensitive. My pupils get so big even in a semi-dark room. It is really frustrating sometimes. That being said, I wear sunglasses anytime I am outside normally. Even when it's cloudy. If I don't then I squint terribly and get a headache. I have ridden in the summer with sunglasses, but I have never shown in them. For anyone who is willing to put the money down for them, Raybans are fantastic and definitely get the job done. Not to mention they look great too ;]

3 is the limit
Mar. 21, 2011, 05:13 PM
I must school and show in sunglasses. The one time I didn't wear them (cause they were at home) is the one time I got a huge piece of arean footing in my eye and scratched my cornea. Now I even have orange tinted lenses for cloudy days and clear lenses for night riding as I don't want to go thru that again.

GreystoneKC
Mar. 21, 2011, 05:33 PM
I wear sunglasses at almost all times when I am outside, even on cloudy days if it is glare-y.

I have spots on my eyeballs and went years ago to get them looked at by a doctor. I was told that they are generally harmless, but will not disappear. The only way to keep them from getting larger or growing more spots is to protect my eyes from the sun. Since then, I have always worn sunglasses. Because of this, my eyes are also very, very sensitive since they have barely seen the light of day since that doctor's visit. I get nasty headaches if I have to be in the sun without my glasses - which is why I walked around the horse show yesterday with my father's old, giant, aviators on my tiny head when I couldn't find my pair! lol

I wear my glasses riding and showing. I don't love the look, but it is what it is and my eyes are more important to me than my fashion (which is saying something for me, lol). My biggest challenge is finding pairs that do not distort my depth perception since many of the cheap pairs that I buy do distort depth perception badly. I would love to buy a good pair of sport sunglasses but I lose them so often that I am scared to break down and do it!

tamarak_equestrian
Mar. 21, 2011, 05:34 PM
I'm always paranoid about my glasses or sunglasses falling off so I generally just squint and deal with the headache I get from light sensitivity, and I wear my horrendously uncomfortable contact lenses instead of my regular glasses. I'm thinking about getting some sport sunglasses when I get back into showing myself. I see other people wear them in the adult hunters sometimes, so why not me ;)

Bit O Groby
Mar. 21, 2011, 06:00 PM
I wear sunglasses while riding from about March to the end of October because my farm is surrounded by wetland - and half the year is host to an infinite amount of gnats. The sunglasses do double duty for me. I don't care what it looks like, glaring sun and a big fat gnat in the eye makes them necessary

bamboo
Mar. 26, 2011, 01:09 AM
I wear contacts and if it is at all windy, just got back from Thermal, and there is dust blowing I need them badly. Otherwise one feels like a large rock is lodged between my eye and the contact.

Canaqua
Mar. 26, 2011, 11:44 AM
Yes, same reason as Bamboo...I wear hard contacts and have to keep dirt out of my eyes or I'm in terrible pain (and can't see from the watering and swelling!). If it's dry or at all windy, I wear sunglasses. I've even worn them in an indoor when it was dry and lots of horses were kicking up clouds of footing. If it's just rained, I'm OK without them.

RAyers
Mar. 26, 2011, 12:36 PM
A word of safety for those who wear sunglasses; popular commercial brands are not made to prevent injury if you fall or your horse pops you in the face. The lenses and frames break into jagged pieces that will cut. There are a couple of lenses and frames by Oakley and Smith made for sports that are safety rated. Otherwise there are specialty safety glasses makers who make high quality safety glasses for cheap. Wire or metal frame and glass lenses have the potential to leave you scared and blind. The name of fashion is not worth it.

I always ride in glasses. I use clear safety glasses on cloudy/indoors and safety or my Oakley M-frame sunglasses outdoors.

Pixie0304
Mar. 26, 2011, 01:22 PM
my eye are blue/grey and really sensitive too.
I cant even step out my door without sunglasses, so I obviously have to ride horses with them LOL

florida does not help, the sun is here 365 days a year ;)