PDA

View Full Version : bit help??

empowerme
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:06 PM
I have a hunter that i school at home in a springsteen bit, and I'm still trying to find the appropriate bit to show him in. He leans and lugs, which is why I've been using the springsteen (which he goes really well in), but have yet to find something that's legal for the show ring that he goes well in too. Help please??

ps...a lot of people have never heard of springsteens. this is it...
http://www.macgregorstables.com/Bit%20Encyclopedia/slides/Springsteen%20Bit%201.jpg

SanJacMonument
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:20 PM
A good trainer can help and don't be afraid to ask friends to let you borrow their bits as well.

All of my horses have used different bits based on natural poll break, headset, lightness, and pallet. Some horses have a lower pallet ceiling than others and a broken bit will bother those with a lower pallet ceiling.

Good luck!

CBoylen
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:24 PM
Well, I know I've seen a similar mouthpiece in a D, but obviously it's the "hackamore like function" that the side pieces are supposed to provide that you're looking for. I had to google for an explanation of the function of the bit, and haven't seen one work in person, so I guess you would have to decide if the closest substitute to the action of the bit would be a curbchain on a pelham, or the above-mentioned D (or another D with a stronger mouthpiece) with a chain or tack noseband. What did he show in before that didn't work?

empowerme
Mar. 20, 2011, 10:03 PM
We've tried a lot for him that didn'e work: slow twist, corkscrew, dr. bristol, waterford....i'm considering having jay shuttleworth make one, but i was just wondering if there was an off-the-shelf bit that I could try first.

CBoylen
Mar. 20, 2011, 10:07 PM
I would also try a jointed segunda, and a triangle/knife edge (with an actual edge, some places they sell them so round they're worthless). I'm pretty sure the D with the same mouthpiece I've seen was a Shuttleworth, so he might just have one in the bag for you.

empowerme
Mar. 20, 2011, 10:14 PM
Thank you so much!!!

findeight
Mar. 21, 2011, 12:17 PM
Yaaay, I actually have one of these...someplace. Haven't seen it in 30 years-used it Western to back them off but I bet it works great for a Jumper or schooling a Hunter. Never thought of that.

The spoon things on the side pinch in like a curb chain but with more pressure when you pull so I'd think you might want to try a pelham???? If you have no luck with the others, try that.

You CAN certainly show Hunters with a pelham and have your curb rein to go to-do NOT use a converter, that defeats the whole purpose of the curb.

You can also school the course (if allowed) as well as warm up in the springsteen and switch before you go in.

Work on sharpening your halts and down transitions in your flatwork too....the bit just refines what you put in them with flatwork.

Dressagelvr
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:05 PM
Yes. Pelham w/o converter.