PDA

View Full Version : Pin Oak Charity Horse Show

Stoneheart Equestrian
Mar. 20, 2011, 08:01 PM
My first time posting on this forum. I've been lurking for quite some time and finally got up the nerve to post. lol

My daughter will be competing in Pin Oak for the inaugural Collegiate Invitational Equitation Challenge at the Great Southwest Equestrian Centre in Katy, TX.

If you have competed there before what should we expect in the way of footing, on-site venues, food, etc. Any information would really be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Tollriffic
Mar. 20, 2011, 08:26 PM
The footing is good. They've recently redone the outdoor rings. The food on site is alright but we always went down Mason Rd to get something. Usually at Pin Oak they bring in some other food vendors that are a little bit better. Pin Oak is the biggest hunter/jumper show held in Houston so basically everybody will be there. Back in the planning stages of the class I heard it was running Sunday afternoon but go Saturday night for the prix. Wilhelm Genn and Tracy Fenney have traded wins back and forth for the last few years but the Mexican boys give them a run for their money. Its always a great class. Otherwise its a huge show so definitely take the time to go watch some of the other classes.

Stoneheart Equestrian
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:30 PM
Thx Tollriffic - we arrive on Friday evening. Practice on Saturday - so we will make a point of watching the Grand Prix that night.

There are a couple of people I would like to thank with a nice dinner out - nothing too too pricey - but nice. Does anyone have any suggestions of good restaurants close to the show grounds?

Tollriffic
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:35 PM
There's a Babin's Seafood and a Saltgrass Steakhouse if you go down Mason Rd to Ih-10. I haven't been out there since Pin Oak last year but ask Annette or Kelly in the show office. They ought to have a good recommendation or two.

EverAfter
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:35 PM
I think there's an outback close to there..

Love Pin Oak.. super fun horse show

rachelporter123
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:37 PM
There are a TON of food places on the road off of the show (Mason Road). You may have to search a bit to find something nicer but there are lots of options. I'm sure if you google restaurants in the area you can find something! As for the show I think it is very fun! Pin Oak is huge and now the footing is great and there is usually lots to watch!

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Mar. 20, 2011, 10:05 PM
Cheddars on I-10 West just east of Mason is good too.

I'll be there the next two weeks showing. Footing is nice, the outdoor rings it's wonderful, indoor rings the footing is older and more clay-based but nothing bad and it should be kept just right for Pin Oak, being such a big event.

Good luck!

Stoneheart Equestrian
Mar. 20, 2011, 10:30 PM
Thx Everyone for the recommendations. We are very excited about going to the Houston area and hoping to make it a special weekend.

I think its great that Pin Oak is offering the Collegiate Invitational Equitation Class similar to the class at WEF. It's another opportunity to show what Varsity Equestrian is all about and it is an honor to be part of the first year.

I hope that anyone who is at the show will stick around and show their support for the class on the second Sunday at 4 p.m.

ponyjumper525
Mar. 20, 2011, 10:55 PM
Pin Oak is a super fun show! I love it haha. Have fun and good luck! And definitley check out the Prix and the Derby, they make it so even non-horsey people that come in can enjoy it. Also, the footing in the outdoor rings is awesome. I've show at Great Southwest Equestrian Center a lot (in the indoor rings and the outdoor rings) and the Ottosport footing is great - even in the pouring rain.

Wizard of Oz's
Mar. 21, 2011, 12:14 AM
I'll be there for the next couple weeks showing as well, and it always is a great show. Like everyone else said, footing is good and food is not bad, but there are tons of places on Mason Rd. I also second the recommendation of Saltgrass for a decent restaurant, which is right on the corner of Mason and I-10 W. We go down there all the time for shows. It's also great that they are doing that Collegiate Invitational class! I've never heard of it there before but I'll be sure to check it out on Sunday! Is it the first week or second week?

Nickelodian
Mar. 21, 2011, 01:24 AM
Sadly, my horse is hurt so I will not be at PO or SG this year. When I was last in Houston in the fall, the footing had been redone in the main hunter rings, but was still the same in the warmup and second show ring. It's not bad, just not ottobock like in the main ring. It's definitely a huge show with a lot of vendors, and lots of fun classes to watch.

As far as food goes, almost every chain in the world can either be found on Mason or I10 close to there. If you wanted to go non chain, try out the Taco Grill (inexpensive and quick eats) on the left hand side of Mason as you leave the show facility. Also, Thai Spice (I think....) is another of my favorites if you like Thai.

We always like to hit the Texas Road House on the west side of 10 for a sit down place, I like it better than Salt Grass.

Best of luck to your daughter!

BAC
Mar. 21, 2011, 01:06 PM
I have never been to Pin Oak but can remember reading about it way back in the 1960's when I was a kid. Its nice to know that some of these shows with a long history are still going strong, the ones in my area disappeared and what we have to replace them are sorry substitutes.