PDA

View Full Version : 440 Fence: Anyone use it?

PinkMartini
Mar. 20, 2011, 07:33 PM
One of my girlfriends and I were talking today. I went to her to see if she knew any horses for sale I might be interested in, and to see about boarding at her place later on when I find my next horse.

She was talking about replacing all of her fencing. It is 5 acres and with 4 pastures and a riding area. Round pen is right next to the barn. Right now her fence is no-climb wire with 3 rails. She showed me the 440 Fence and asked my opinion on it. Told her it seemed like nice fencing, and looked attractive. (She is thinking about starting a boarding barn and wants it to look professional.)

Anyone use this fence or know anyone who does? What are the pros? What are the cons?

BasqueMom
Mar. 21, 2011, 02:03 AM
The offices are very close to us. We met with them years ago concerning
using our coated wire products with their posts, but nothing much came of it.
Had it on our website for a while but the price put potential customers off.

The big disadvantage to pipe horizontal rails is no give if they run into it or
get a leg through and pull back suddently. Had a young mare once very bonded
to my old guy. They were boarded at the time--she went out with the mares and he went with the geldings. She saw the guys bringing him in and ran full
bore into the pipe gate on the mare's side. Huge hematoma on her chest,
one emergency vet call, a quart of fluid drained, antibiotics, daily flushings of
her chest.

Bluey
Mar. 21, 2011, 11:05 AM
I know breeding farms in OK that used that fencing and were very happy with it.

Some kinds of flexing fences may not injure a horse that hits them in the same way a stiffer fence may, but unless you go to big, heavy well pipe, most pipe fences do have give to them.

The advantages of a rigid fence is that it will stand up to horses much better, even without electricity, to keep them in, something flexing fences won't do, horses tend to walk thru them if not kept very tight and/or hot, just like any wire fence.

There really are all kinds of suitable fencing out there, but for perimeter fencing, I would prefer rigid over flexing fence, especially if the flexing fence requires electricity to keep horses off it.
I think the chance of a horse hitting a solid fence and getting hurt is smaller than a horse getting out and getting hurt and causing a wreck where others also get hurt.
That is a serious consideration.

For inside fencing, well, you don't have to worry so much if ocassionally a horse gets out.