PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Shippers for Showing?

eq3019
Mar. 20, 2011, 05:33 PM
Anyone have recommendations for shippers in the Brewster, NY area? I am planning ahead and trying to make showing more affordable for me this summer. The shipper my trainer usually uses is.. quite expensive. I would like to recommend a cheaper shipper to her but I would like to come prepared with names and prices.

Any recommendations? I would be looking for someone to ship to maybe to HITS or Vermont, although a local shipper for Old Salem and such would be helpful as well.:)

Zenyatta
Mar. 20, 2011, 05:52 PM
With the price of gas sky rocketing, I doubt there are any reasonable shippers.:(

Lucassb
Mar. 20, 2011, 07:48 PM
What would you consider "affordable"?

We are nearby in CT and people at my barn tend to use Pony Express ... you might check them out. I am guessing a local show (for us would be Fairfield, Old Salem, Ox Ridge, etc) is in the $150-$175 range, per horse.

It was those costs that led me to buy a truck and trailer of my own. I figured if I was going to spend that kind of money every month, I might as well get some equity out of the deal. And I could often offset my own expenses by shipping an "extra" horse for my trainer, which made it "more affordable."

Atlas Shrugged
Mar. 20, 2011, 08:38 PM
Girlfriend I have seen your truck and trailer and you would have to do an awful lot of shipping to make up for the cost of same!

What would you consider "affordable"?

We are nearby in CT and people at my barn tend to use Pony Express ... you might check them out. I am guessing a local show (for us would be Fairfield, Old Salem, Ox Ridge, etc) is in the $150-$175 range, per horse.

It was those costs that led me to buy a truck and trailer of my own. I figured if I was going to spend that kind of money every month, I might as well get some equity out of the deal. And I could often offset my own expenses by shipping an "extra" horse for my trainer, which made it "more affordable."

HoofaSchmigetty
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:52 AM
Ask yourself this...

GM, Ford, Dodge 3500 pick up.........$45,000-55,000
4-6 horse trailer............................$30,000-50,000
Fuel at $4 per gallon (10miles per gallon)
Proper Insurance
Maintenance
Sitting at a horse show for 8-12 hours, waiting, waiting, waiting.

What would YOU charge?

pepperw
Mar. 24, 2011, 09:57 AM
Judge Manning and Barry are good now sure how "cheap" though

STA
Mar. 24, 2011, 10:26 AM
I second Pony Express. Danny does a great job, dependable, and pleasant. I have never seen him be impatient because of those shows that go on endlessly for no reason.