PDA

View Full Version : Hunter barn on the Eastern Shore, MD?

Stillatit
Mar. 19, 2011, 08:54 PM
I'm looking for a hunter/jumper barn on the Eastern Shore around Easton, MD. I'm moving there soon.

CBoylen
Mar. 19, 2011, 08:56 PM
http://www.elizabethsolter.com/

Sparky Boy
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:10 AM
Where on the shore will you be moving to?

Stillatit
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:26 AM
Not exactly sure at this moment. My husband works in the Denton area, so we want to stay within an hour of that, preferably under an hour. I want to find a suitable barn for my horse and then we'll figure out where we will live. Would like to be as close to the horse as I can.

bizbachfan
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:48 AM
http://www.countrycomfortfarm.com/
Might be too far from Denton though

Also Miles River Farm in Easton,
here is a link, look by county, Talbot or Caroline

http://www.equiery.com/ridingBoardingStables.php

suniday
Mar. 20, 2011, 11:30 AM
What amenities/qualities are you looking for?

There are not a lot of choices in this area. But, if you are going to be in Easton, you will have a few more options.

Stillatit
Mar. 20, 2011, 12:48 PM
Looking for full board with lessons in a show barn. I don't need to do the A shows, but do like at least to show locally. Good turnout with grass is very important to me. Availability to trails would also be on the list.

We can go anywhere from Harrington, DE to the Easton area.

Sparky Boy
Mar. 20, 2011, 04:16 PM
There's a place called Cavalier Farm. It's either in Salisbury or Cambridge. I'd look there. Or Country Comfort in St. Michaels.

suniday
Mar. 21, 2011, 07:20 AM
Will you need an indoor and/or lights for an outdoor ring? Do you need a lot of turnout? Do you need group or individual turnout?

Cavalier Farm has it's base of operations out of Fox Farm in Salisbury, MD.

Elizabeth Solter bases her farm out of Berlin, MD

barnbum81
Mar. 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
Do you show? Local? Rated? There are tons of options, we take greenies on the great little local circuit and show in Easton often, drive right through Denton. Actually one of my bffs grew up and lives in Denton

RxCate
Mar. 21, 2011, 09:18 AM
Is there any truth that Elizabeth will be switching farms to one out in Libertytown (technically an extension of Berlin) ?

I know the one she's on now is for sale (my mom and I used to be at that farm before Elizabeth got there) and there has been a rumor going around that she's moving to my friend's farm. They just bought it and are renovating it right now, but the barns & indoor are all set up.

And if anyone on here is working w/ Elizabeth, I'd like to know what's happening to the 2 horses that are still on the farm that were the owner's. My mom and I bought the mare for him & bred to get the filly for him as well. I'd be really interested to know what's been done with them (if anything) and what the plan was for them after the Elizabeth left (if she is).

OP, as far as farms around Easton, I'd say Miles River or Country Comfort are good - Where is Rand Thaw based? He would be great too. Though I think he's in Pittsville, which would be a hike.

serendipityhunter
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:20 PM
If you are moving to easton, salisbury and berlin are a bit of a hike (at least an hour from there). Country Comfort is in St. Michaels and is really nice, I'm not sure how much they are showing. There is also Phil Ake and Jen Shaw in Church Hill (Stillwater Farm), and Bradley Caine teaches once a week out of Breezy Run Farm, also in Church Hill. Jamie Sullivan (Snapdragon Stables) is in Queen Anne, not far from Easton, and she goes to rated and local shows. There is also a new farm in Cordova called Kingston Farm, has an indoor/outdoor and looks to be good turnout. PM me if you need more info!!

theblondejumper
Mar. 21, 2011, 07:56 PM
I have to second Jamie Sullivan at Snapdragon Stables in Queen Anne. I rode with her at her previous location in summer of '09 and she is fabulous. Great quality of horses, she goes to loads of shows, she's encouraging and will definitely help you reach your goals. If I still lived on the shore I'd be back in a heartbeat.

Whew, this whole thread just made me miss the good 'ol eastern shore!

Best of luck.

Stillatit
Mar. 21, 2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the help. I'll research and visit and find the fit for me. I'm presently trying to work, sell a house, help plan my daughter's wedding, ride, find a new home and a new home for my horse! Whew!

To the MAX
Mar. 22, 2011, 01:07 PM
Although I have never been to Country Comfort Farm, I have met Nancy Faulkner several times and she is very professional and knowledgeable. I have no doubts that you'd be pleased with her barn.

jay0087
Mar. 22, 2011, 03:39 PM
I really like Jamie Sullivan at Snapdragon Stables. I know her from horse show and trying out a horse to purchase. Very nice barn from what I remember.

suniday
Mar. 23, 2011, 07:51 AM
Jamie Sullivan has her own farm in Ridgely/Queen Anne now. Her website is www.snapdragonstables.com.

Wow, stillatit - you have a lot on your plate! Good luck and keep us posted on where you end up. Would love to meet up.

StrawberryFields
Apr. 8, 2011, 07:29 PM
I have a few things to add to the list....there are several barns in the area within an hour of driving. Breezyrun farm is in centreville along with crawfords chance farm. They just got a new hunter/jumper trainer I hear. Its a lovely old german style barn with an outdoor and an indoor. Also is waterfront ;) with heated tackroom and feed rooms. Large pastures as well as individual turn outs if desired. And board is very reasonable (for the services provided). also has someone on the farm 24/7. You may want to try contacting chris cross farms in trappe. It's run by john christ (i think thats how you spell it). He doesnt usually have stalls open, but the barn is GORGEOUS! It only has an indoor ring though. The indoor doesnt have sides which in my opinion is nice! Also has plenty of trails as well as 24/7 service.

i would also like to add to what SAShugars said about cavalier farm in Salisbury, md (Even though I think that would be a little bit of a hike from ridgley).
First off, Amy is NOT a lower level trainer. Not only is she a wonderful person who honestly cares about her students and the horses, she is an AMAZING trainer and OUTSTANDING horseperson. She goes to all the rated shows in the delmarva region and her students always come home with top ribbons. I ride with her now and have ridden with several h/j trainers in the area. I have learned more from her than any other trainer in this area. She is truly amazing. She does not take any shortcuts and isn't afraid to take you back to work on basics. She does have limited stall boarding if her boarders want it. She also has 5 pastures for her students horses and horses used for the SUET. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE YOUR HORSE USED FOR LESSONS. That is just silly to say. She takes wonderful care of her horses. They are handled everyday and get top care. Further down the road there is another farm you could board at...they all use the same ring. The farms are really close together and board prices are about the same. I ride on the SU equestrian team and I can honestly say everyone on our team has improved tremendously. She has lovely lesson horses for all level riders if you wanted to try riding other horses as well. I'm really sad that you would say Amy is a lower level trainer stephanie as she obviously is NOT.
just my two cents.
:winkgrin:

Katharine
Jan. 9, 2012, 07:02 PM
This discussion looks to be exactly what I need to know. My husband got a job in Maryland, and we are moving to the Eastern Shore (YAY!) in the next 2 months or so. But I may be working in Anne Arundel or Prince George County so any of the 3 counties would be good for a barn. I am looking for a hunter/jumper training barn. I have 2 OTTBs horses: an 18-year old jumper, who is semi-retired due to arthritis (only hack him and occasionally pop him over x-rails) and a coming 7-year old mare that we got off the track almost 3 years ago. She loves to jump but still needs a lot of work on feeling comfortable and focusing at shows and staying relaxed and focused in flat classes with other horses. I am looking for a hunter/jumper barn that likes to work with young horses and can help me bring her along to show in the Adequan hunter division and maybe beyond.

suniday
Jan. 10, 2012, 09:23 AM
Katherine,

Where on the Eastern Shore will you be living? That will help us recommend a great place to keep your horses. I highly recommend Jamie Sullivan of Snapdragon Stables in Queen Anne, MD. They just put in lights for their outdoor arena, so riding this time of year after work is still possible! And, there is no problem jumping at night - the lights are that well placed.

theoldgreymare
Jan. 15, 2012, 02:22 PM
Might be too far for you but I highly recommend Marianne Roth at Endeavor Farm in Bishopville. Local to AA showing, a nice facility (with good footing and fantastic lights for night riding) and great turnout.