PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about training barns and help me find one? (DC area)

Gnomeland
Mar. 19, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'm beginning to think that it's time for my mare to get some professional training. We are both getting frustrated and I think I need to swallow my pride and get her some pro training.

Can someone explain the in's and out's of training board? Just everything I would need to know. I'm not particularly familiar with it. For example, generally, do most programs allow the owner to still ride the horse or is it more: "bye horsie see you in a few months" type thing? How involved is the owner?

Also, could anyone suggest any places in the DC area? (within an hour or two please) I'm working with a *fairly* limited budget but it's flexible. (1-1.5k/month) Care and good training is most important.

Thank you!

Va2Ga
Mar. 19, 2011, 08:49 PM
Sent you a pt

Gnomeland
Mar. 20, 2011, 12:30 AM
Thank you very much!

Gnomeland
Mar. 20, 2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions via PM. I'd really love some general info on training board if possible.

gottagrey
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:38 PM
Where are you in DC area and what type of training are you looking for there are several places in the area that would be good

marley
Mar. 21, 2011, 12:08 AM
Training board usually includes full care board (some places require that you also pay for full grooming) and a set number of rides by a pro per week. Some places offer partial training (say two or three rides per week) in lieu of full training and some offer training board that's based on a combination of training rides by the pro and lessons for you on the horse with the pro. Depending on the issues your horse has, some pros might feel that they should ride the horse exclusively for a while.

There are bunches of great training facilities within an hour of DC, both in MD and in VA. Your best bet is to go visit as many of them as you can, meet the professional, look at the facility, and then go back again to the place(s) that left you with a good feeling and sit down and find out what the program you want will cost you.

That said, I'm sending you a p.m.:)

Gnomeland
Mar. 22, 2011, 09:14 AM
Where are you in DC area and what type of training are you looking for there are several places in the area that would be good

NW DC. Mainly Hunters and Equitation. Thank you!