PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: Eric Lamaze & Rio Grande TROT a grand prix fence!

ImmortalSynn
Mar. 19, 2011, 05:23 PM
Haven't made any vids in a while due to a computer crash having wiped out all of my video digitizing/editing software, so I was unable to create any new ones. But now I'm back, and plenty more to add, for those here who like 'em! ;)

How's this one for a start:
RIO GRANDE, pride of the Great North!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31tuxWztj4s

Here he's being shown as a 9yr-old, already at international derby competition level, despite his late start to the showjumping discipline. He handles the course amazingly well for a greenie, vaulting his way up to first place in the order of rank! And as the title details, watch him **TROT** a fence nearly 5ft in height! See it at 2:29 into the clip.

This amazing stallion was indeed among Canada's great superhorses of the '90s. His style, scope, and smooth way of going were only surpassed by his striking good looks.

Speaking of looks... um, check out Eric Lamaze at the start of this clip. H-O-T-T-I-E!!! lol

Footage is from the 1995 Spruce Meadows Shell Cup Derby.
Another amazing round over this grueling course can be seen by yet another of Canada's amazing superhorses, Easy Boy, at the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfm4ZnURRAQ

3Dogs
Mar. 19, 2011, 05:35 PM
WOW - thank you - what an incredible course with incredible horses :yes:

I MUST get to Spruce Meadows one of these years !!

mckenna310
Mar. 19, 2011, 05:40 PM
Loved the videos, thanks for sharing!

SnicklefritzG
Mar. 19, 2011, 06:09 PM
hottie is right. In fact, I need two copies of the Dover catalog. One to preserve the photos of eric and another to actually look through for the products.

enjoytheride
Mar. 19, 2011, 06:11 PM
I seem to remember seeing quite a few horses trot that rail jump coming off the bank like that. I think it's smaller then the rest for that reason.

RyuEquestrian
Mar. 19, 2011, 07:31 PM
Thanks for sharing! We are thilled to have some straws of Rio Grande in our tank and are eager to see what he produce when crossed with our Alla 'Czar mare in future.

RegalBeagle
Mar. 19, 2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks for sharing ....... thanks for the memories

ImmortalSynn
Mar. 19, 2011, 10:03 PM
I MUST get to Spruce Meadows one of these years !!
...can I get an Amen?! :D

hottie is right. In fact, I need two copies of the Dover catalog. One to preserve the photos of eric and another to actually look through for the products.
Speaking of, are there TWO editions this year? Because I got the Eric Lamaze one, but one of my barn-mates got one with Philippe LeJeune on it.

She didn't know if she got a back-edition, or what?

Equine Studies
Mar. 20, 2011, 08:59 AM
Holy crap he made that look easy coming off the bank. I've never really sen Rio Grande jump-what a powerful horse!

War Admiral
Mar. 20, 2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for these. That's a nice Derby course. Silly me, I didn't realize we even had one like that on this side of the Atlantic!

ImmortalSynn
Mar. 20, 2011, 12:57 PM
I seem to remember seeing quite a few horses trot that rail jump coming off the bank like that. I think it's smaller then the rest for that reason.
It's definitely not maximum height, but IINM it's still somewhere in the 1.30M-1.40M (4'3"-4'7") range... so still incredibly impressive.

Silly me, I didn't realize we even had one like that on this side of the Atlantic!
...and have for nearly 40yrs! ;)

fourmares
Mar. 20, 2011, 05:19 PM
Back in the 80's my trainer was in a 4'6" jumper class, the last fence was a max height oxer at a 45 degree angle in the corner just past the gate. My trainer jumped the line before it, forgot about the last jump, came back to trot, dropped the reins to the buckle and patted his horse... we all yelled "Oxer" at him figuring he'd circle and take the refusal but finish the course. Realizing his mistake he turned to the jump without picking up the reins and trotted the oxer for a clean round. It was pretty cool.

Roxy SM
Mar. 21, 2011, 12:05 AM

I was about to post the same thing. I've seen lots of horses trot that jump (pretty effortlessly too) right after the bank.

doublesstable
Mar. 21, 2011, 12:13 AM
Look at that stride! ::WOW:: Nice horsey!

Video is great... thanks for posting it.

Watched the other one and WHAT A GAL! And great horse. Loved it. Thanks~

supernova
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:32 AM
I love that stallion, he's such a powerful guy! My trainer has a four year old by him and out of a TB mare...nice, easy youngster. I think they're thinking the hunter ring for him, but if he jumps like his daddy.....!

HRF Second Chance
Mar. 21, 2011, 09:20 AM
*swoons* Eric sure is pretty!

Great video, thanks for posting and we're glad you're back posting videos!

That course looks like tons of fun. But maybe at 3' instead of 5' for me! LOL!

can't re-
Mar. 21, 2011, 11:58 AM
Rio is a favorite of mine. I have had five very nice foals by him and still have two - one is a big, quiet stallion.
This video of the Shell Cup Derby from 1996 is awesome - Rio jumped two clear rounds and was a close second. His was the fifth clear ride in the Derby in 6 years.

Rio Grande Shell Cup Derby 1996 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJuLQaWuJVs)

BAC
Mar. 21, 2011, 03:35 PM
[quote=ImmortalSynn;5493361Speaking of, are there TWO editions this year? Because I got the Eric Lamaze one, but one of my barn-mates got one with Philippe LeJeune on it.

She didn't know if she got a back-edition, or what?[/quote]

Nope its current, I got the Philippe LeJeune one as well. They always mix up the covers, and use several different horse/rider combinations on the same catalogue, its hit or miss which one you get.

doublesstable
Mar. 21, 2011, 07:35 PM

:lol: I love a beautiful horse, but really - - - DITTO the above!!

JetSetjr
Mar. 21, 2011, 07:44 PM
Look at that stride! ::WOW:: Nice horsey!

Video is great... thanks for posting it.

Watched the other one and WHAT A GAL! And great horse. Loved it. Thanks~

I was thinking the SAME thing. That stride is just breath taking!!!

doublesstable
Mar. 21, 2011, 07:47 PM

:lol: you know you were thinking this too - -

;)

wsmoak
Mar. 21, 2011, 08:05 PM
I miss all the Spruce Meadows coverage on Outdoor Life Network. :(

Western
Mar. 21, 2011, 08:32 PM
Magnificent Stallion! Boo on rider smacking him twice with crop at refusal.

If a horse refuses a request, you either asked the question wrong, or you asked the wrong question.

As the announcer said, rider should done what Ian Miller did, which was to swing him out farther before turning him back to the jump; Rio was turned right sharply, then a sharp left about 4 strides before jump, leaving him no choice but to slam on the brakes.

ImmortalSynn
Mar. 22, 2011, 11:11 AM
You ain't kidding!

Watch Eric open up Rio Grande's MASSIVE stride at 2:55... between the Devil's Dyke and the Open Water he knocks out two strides less than Easy Boy, who wasn't exactly a tiptoeing horse himself. Heck, Easy Boy got a crop behind the leg, and STILL added two more between those obstacles!