PDA

View Full Version : Protecting barefeet

enjoytheride
Mar. 19, 2011, 09:48 AM
I seem to remember the endurance people use some sort of squirt on "stuff" on barefeet to protect them from moisture and rocks as an alternative to shoeing.

Sorry to be so vague!

Huntertwo
Mar. 19, 2011, 10:28 PM
I love Durasole... If used consistently, and follow the directions exactly, it really toughens up the hooves.

Supreme69
Mar. 19, 2011, 10:53 PM
I have been using Durasole for a month and so far I am pleased with it. Not sure if that is the product you were thinking about though.

Jana
Cres-or-Lar Stable

LMH
Mar. 20, 2011, 06:46 AM
soleguard?

Mersy
Mar. 21, 2011, 09:45 PM
Keratex, http://www.keratex.net/

HossShoer
Mar. 22, 2011, 05:23 PM
Horseshoes

2enduraceriders
Mar. 22, 2011, 06:12 PM
Horseshoes

Y E S !!!!

wildlifer
Mar. 22, 2011, 09:23 PM
Horseshoes
ROFLMAO, you beat me to it.

Auventera Two
Mar. 23, 2011, 10:38 AM
Durasole is very effective at hardening hooves if used regularly. I trim quite a few horses that don't necessarily need shoes, but aren't 100% bare either. Using Durasole is a great compromise. It gives the soles just enough rigidity to be comfortable on trails bare foot so the horses don't need to use shoes. Every horse is different though, and Durasole might not be enough for some of them.

wingedmare
Mar. 24, 2011, 12:56 PM
I remember a client that used some stuff that was liquid kevlar I belive? It worked fantastic.

Huntertwo
Mar. 25, 2011, 05:11 PM
Durasole is very effective at hardening hooves if used regularly. I trim quite a few horses that don't necessarily need shoes, but aren't 100% bare either. Using Durasole is a great compromise. It gives the soles just enough rigidity to be comfortable on trails bare foot so the horses don't need to use shoes. Every horse is different though, and Durasole might not be enough for some of them.

When I first tried it, I did get lax about using it consistently. Therefore, it really didn't work like I thought it would. My fault.

I tried shoes/pads and she threw them within a week. Even used bell boots and she still managed to over reach.

Went back to Durasole and used consistently. Sometimes before and after a ride.
It really did the trick. Even the small rocks/pebbles never bothered her.