PDA

View Full Version : Long Oval head but dont want a Charles Owen!

hydro101
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:49 PM
I haven't been able to search through past posts (which there are a lot of!) however...

Basically I need a new helmet. Reading the 'should I replace it?' helmet post has made me realize that my helmet doesn't fit me as well as it *could*, and there are helmets that would look just as good and be more comfortable.

My problem: I have a long oval head. Right now I wear a 7 3/8 GPA Extreme Pro Helmet and I have quite a bit of space on the sides and get that ugly red pressure mark on my forehead when I take it off :no: It does not fall off and is more or less comfortable so I haven't gotten a new one... until now. I'm moved.

My MAIN problem: need new helmet, but I have a long oval head and I HATE the look of the Charles Owen helmets (which I've heard fit us long ovals well). Anyone have any good ideas? I show/compete and need it to be/look nice enough (no troxels! haha)

Thanks everyone! :)

rugbygirl
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:55 PM
I thought the Charles Owens were ugly too. Then a sales rep at a trade fair pushed me into one.

I bought it. Right there.

They fit SO WELL. I'm sure there is a similar replica out now though, but when I find something that fits, I cling to it.:lol:

CobJockey
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:59 PM
They fit SO WELL. I'm sure there is a similar replica out now though, but when I find something that fits, I cling to it.:lol:

I'm no help here, except to back rugbygirl up on this one. It's like wearing a perfectly fitted pillow on my head. Nothing else I tried on fit as well. I did go with the Wellington Pro rather than the GR8 as the Wellington Pro has much more of a round profile than the GR8, IMO.

myrna
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:13 PM
If it fits,go for it.

Po-Po
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:16 PM
Have you considered IRH?

rizzodm
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:23 PM
I just bought a Charles Owens. I didn't like the look of it (mushroom head) but it fit better than anything that I have put on my head. The sales person told me everyone else out there is going to have a mushroom head anyway. I bought it and once I had the rest of my show gear on it looked really nice. I am glad I bought it.

Dawn

RolyPolyPony
Mar. 19, 2011, 09:40 AM
I really don't see that CO helmets look any different from any other helmet, but if you really hate them, maybe try IRH? I tried some IRH models and various Troxels before settling on my CO JR8, which I love more than I love some members of my family!

magnolia73
Mar. 19, 2011, 11:35 AM
I'm a long oval. IRH helmets work well and they have many styles. Just an FYI, Troxels never fit me. I fit Charles Owen or IRH. IRH has knock offs of GPA's and Charles Owens. I will say that it is hard to find tack shops that stock them.

prudence
Mar. 19, 2011, 11:51 AM
Tipperarys fit oval heads:D

hydro101
Mar. 19, 2011, 11:53 AM
sounds like I should just buck up and get the Charles Owen... Maybe trying some on in person will do the trick.

TBrescue
Mar. 19, 2011, 11:59 AM
yup. I have an oval head and nothing fits like the CO

dani0303
Mar. 19, 2011, 12:12 PM
I have the opposite problem. I have a perfectly round head and the only *nice* helmet that fits is the GPA. All $599 of it. Ugh. My wallet (and myself!!) wish I could fit into a CO.

Brooke
Mar. 19, 2011, 12:57 PM
I have an oval head and the only helmet that fits me is the Troxel Sierra. Not fancy - not 'in', but it fits.

wanderlust
Mar. 19, 2011, 01:02 PM
I have a long oval head as well... my GR8 is the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn, by a long shot. I also have a GPA Air S, which doesn't fit as well as my GR8, but fits much better than the old GPAs and is much cooler than the GR8 in the hot summer.

Canaqua
Mar. 19, 2011, 02:02 PM
I have a very long oval head and a tall forehead and long, narrow face. Charles Owen does not fit me well and looks completely ridiculous on me because the helmets are too shallow, top to bottom, so they look "perched" on top of my head. Some IRH models come in long oval and they fit me fairly well. I'd need a 7 1/2 in a regular helmet, but the 7 1/4 IRH long ovals fit me pretty well. Right now I have an Elite Extreme and I like it. The only retail store around here that keeps long oval sizes in stock is Smartpak. All the others require a special order :(. Even Dover (two stores near me) didn't stock the long ovals. It's frustrating because you might have to try on a number to find the one you like best. If you have a cooperative tack store, you could ask them to order several IRH long oval helmets for you to try on.

SpicyMonarch
Mar. 19, 2011, 05:13 PM
You might want to try the GPA Speed Air then. I have a very oval head, but it's oval in its own unique way. I wear a 7 3/8 in my CO Hampton, a 7 1/8 in my CO AYR8 and didn't expect to be able to wear the Speed Air. Tried my friend's one on that was a 7 1/8 and it fit me just as well as my AYR8 did!

The older GPA Textium type fit me very well. The Titium *could* work for me in a pinch (older type, haven't tried the newer ones), but I wouldn't be able to wear them all the time...but they were always more comfortable for me than any IRH. IRH is either very hit or miss...and it's a complete miss for me!

ForaSmallFee11
Mar. 19, 2011, 11:40 PM
Typically if you fit into a CO you do not fit into an IRH, correctly that is. The IRH normally have a rounder fit, and most people complain of having excess space on the side of their head and the IRH's pinching from front to back. So a long oval head is definitely more likely to fit into a CO.

I will agree with most of the others that the CO are extremely comfortable. There is also the newer helmet, the Samshield.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-36281&ids=576430346