PDA

View Full Version : Argh--need show name help for OTTB hunter

LuvMyTB
Mar. 18, 2011, 01:13 PM
HELP!!! :lol:

I've been trying to come up with a show name for my horse for months with no success. I need to get him registered with USEF soon, so the pressure's on.

He is a big bay OTTB, 12 years old. JC name is El Condor, barn name Condor. I hate his name but kept it as his barn name out of respect for him. Sire was Birdonthewire, dam was A Lady With Appeal. I also hate birds and hate flying, so I really don't want a name that relates to his JC name (sorry).

Everyone who meets this horse describes him as "cool." He is smart, funny, and loves to work....definitely a classy guy. He'll be making his baby green debut this spring.

I love all things book-related, anything royal (I'm a royal watcher), and I'm a total prep at heart.

The only names that have made the cut so far are:

Limited Edition
First Edition
Rhythm & Blues
Prep School (no one likes that one but me)

ANY ideas would be helpful....I've never had to pick a show name before (this is my first real show horse) and I'm at a total loss.

Thank you!

MIKES MCS
Mar. 18, 2011, 01:44 PM
Coronation
Monarchy
Monarch
Crown Royal
Royal Affair
or
Royal Watcher

FineAlready
Mar. 18, 2011, 01:48 PM
How about "Classic"?

I also really like First Edition and Limited Edition.

AChestnutMare&ABlonde
Mar. 18, 2011, 01:49 PM
I personally like Condor, it's unique and makes me think of him as big and bold. It's a strong name, too. But IMHO I know Hunters are more keen on "show names", but I have always liked keeping their registered name of their previous job or breeding line out of respect for who they are. I only renamed my QH because he wasn't registered, but my DWB was fortunate enough to have a nice name...although now I call her "Charlie" around the farm, lol. :lol:

Hmmm...What about...

Boy with the Popped Collar
Ralph Lauren
CoCo Chanelle
Grande Frapp

haha I kinda like Ralph Lauren (pronounce it Laur-enn) Forgive me, though I am trying to think preppy/yuppie as much as possible. :)

Good luck with your name and this show season!

AChestnutMare&ABlonde
Mar. 18, 2011, 01:50 PM
How about "Classic"?

I also really like First Edition and Limited Edition.

Ohh I like "Classic"!! I'd probably call him "Classy" :yes:

LuvMyTB
Mar. 18, 2011, 01:54 PM
I personally like Condor, it's unique and makes me think of him as big and bold. It's a strong name, too. But IMHO I know Hunters are more keen on "show names", but I have always liked keeping their registered name of their previous job or breeding line out of respect for who they are. I only renamed my QH because he wasn't registered, but my DWB was fortunate enough to have a nice name...although now I call her "Charlie" around the farm, lol. :lol:

Hmmm...What about...

Boy with the Popped Collar
Ralph Lauren
CoCo Chanelle
Grande Frapp

haha I kinda like Ralph Lauren (pronounce it Laur-enn) Forgive me, though I am trying to think preppy/yuppie as much as possible. :)

Good luck with your name and this show season!

You must be channeling one of my best friends, LOL--she gave me the same shpiel about Condor being bold and strong (both of which do describe my horse). But, I just can't stand it. It makes me think of a vulture.

I was trying so hard to think of something to do with a popped collar....I always get made fun of for turning up the collars on my polo shirts. I was thinking "Popped Collar" but my husband and friend thought that was the worst name ever. :lol:

AChestnutMare&ABlonde
Mar. 18, 2011, 02:03 PM
You must be channeling one of my best friends, LOL--she gave me the same shpiel about Condor being bold and strong (both of which do describe my horse). But, I just can't stand it. It makes me think of a vulture.

I was trying so hard to think of something to do with a popped collar....I always get made fun of for turning up the collars on my polo shirts. I was thinking "Popped Collar" but my husband and friend thought that was the worst name ever. :lol:

I understand, after thinking about Condor as a name all I could visualize were these big, ugly turkey vultures that hang out in groups by the road. Eww. lol. Too bad he's not a mare, lol...you could name him "My Other Ride is Alexis" LOL.

Catherine Cullen
Mar. 18, 2011, 02:13 PM
What about Conquistador? Sort of goes with Condor and El. But has some unfortunate historical baggage.

bizbachfan
Mar. 18, 2011, 02:25 PM
How about Royal Classic?
or Classic Royalty
I do think Popped Collar is goofy :)

Voldemare
Mar. 18, 2011, 02:25 PM
Oxford Blues
Windsor Knot (wins or not, you might not like that!)
Palace Guard
Kensington
Sovereign
Castleton
The King's Peach (OK, that was for fun)

I'm partial to one word names. You could always combine a literary word with a royal word - i.e. Royal Stanza. Just an example.

Kate & Will's wedding is coming up - perhaps there's inspiration there? Middleton? ;)

TrakeGirl
Mar. 18, 2011, 02:37 PM
A little random Friday afternoon google searching says that El Condor was a movie in 1970's - and one of the first R rated movies for violence, explicit language and nudity.

So...my name ideas based on this would be:

Explicit

Explicit Content

Parental Advisory

Rated R

ID Required

Check ID

Fake ID

stolen virtue
Mar. 18, 2011, 02:42 PM
Sir Bentley
Carrington (as in the 80's show dynasty)

These names remind me of large bay TBs. Have fun naming him !

headsupheelsdown
Mar. 18, 2011, 03:05 PM
Yaaaay! I have to get in on this!

What are some of the best british prep schools? I googled it and the first one that came up was Warwick School, which intrigued me because one of my very favorite songs is Warwick Avenue!!

Ooooooh! What about Westminster! He looks like a Westminster! A lot of Royal weddings are in Westminster Cathedral (Abbey?)!

Churchill?
Thatcher? (shredding the competition?)
Bond Street?
Canary Wharf?
Winston?
Sherlock Holmes?
Burke's Peerage?

Google British castle names, colleges and prep schools, british noble ranks, military ranks, society lables, the names of past horses owned by the crown, etc, for more inspiration?

LuvMyTB
Mar. 18, 2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys--GREAT ideas. Keep 'em coming!

Voldemare--I LOVE Kate Middleton, have followed her for years....and they are getting married on my BIRTHDAY! :) Also--Windsor Knot is really cute.....maybe not for my guy, but LOVE it in general.

HUHD--those are some great suggestions *begins googling*

headsupheelsdown
Mar. 18, 2011, 03:39 PM
One more! What about types of tartans and plaids? Burberry? McArthur?

AnotherRound
Mar. 18, 2011, 03:45 PM
I always wanted to name a big horse with a big personality

- Pendragon - barn name "Uther" heh heh

If you like royal here's one

-Canterbury

or

- Norfolk

- Aragon

- Westminster

AnotherRound
Mar. 18, 2011, 03:51 PM
Book related?

Atticus Finch.

Oh. But you hate birds. Heh heh

Ok -

Pulitzer barn name - Prize

how about

Chaucer

or

Emerson - barn name Waldo

AnotherRound
Mar. 18, 2011, 03:52 PM
You could name him

Poe

barn name Edgar

witherbee
Mar. 18, 2011, 04:45 PM
Royal Wedding
Westminster
Prince of Wales (although it would sound weird when they announced "LuvmyTBs riding Prince of Wales lol)
Joe Cool (for the comment you made about him being cool)
Wedding March
Groomsman
Night Wedding
Royal Watcher
Queen's Consort
Too Cool For School
Private Education
Royal Academy
West Point
Honor Role (or Roll? Brain is fried!)
Uppercrust (barn name Crusty - um, no lol)
Aristocrat
Blue Blooded
Coronation
Crown Prince or Crown Prince William, Harry etc.
Monaco
Principality
Dominion
Kingdom

My namesake here is actually named Witherbee Hall after a school that the owner attended (my have been one of his kids). I think those types of names are intersting and sound classy.

MunchingonHay
Mar. 18, 2011, 05:25 PM
if you like classic, you could have some fun with it, So and so riding classically.

Voldemare
Mar. 18, 2011, 06:15 PM
Any faves yet? Here are a few more:
Westminster (Kate & Will are getting married in the Abbey, of course)
Royal Regatta
Royal Rogue
Hampton Court
Marquis
Argyle
Canterbury Tale

I still really like Kensington. It's a gorgeous palace and Diana lived there <3

How exciting that the royal wedding is on your birthday! I see a theme party in your future. Make everyone show up in wedding attire & you can be the bride. I actually did that party for my bunco group once & everyone wore old bridesmaid dresses. Too much fun.

DancingQueen
Mar. 18, 2011, 06:23 PM
On track

EAY
Mar. 18, 2011, 08:43 PM
Yaaaay! I have to get in on this!

What are some of the best british prep schools? I googled it and the first one that came up was Warwick School, which intrigued me because one of my very favorite songs is Warwick Avenue!!

Eton, Harrow, Westminster, Rugby, Winchester, Charterhouse, and Shrewsbury

And I've got to ask, why do you hate birds? And does that include all birds - falcons, hummingbirds, loons, scarlet macaws, chickadees, scarlet tanagers, red-headed woodpeckers...?

InWhyCee Redux
Mar. 18, 2011, 08:51 PM
Noblesse Oblige
Prep Rap (anyone remember that 80s non hit?)
Lacoste
I Love Willy (a bumper sticker I saw in London)

2tempe
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:19 PM
IMO - too much obsession re names; stick w/ his JC name; respect his background and history and move on. Really - nobody cares but you...I understand that you hate it, but in the end you will do well or not; the horse will do well or not. I used to think I would change names on my horses, but have NEVER done it - they came w/ names that are now theirs. Just like your name is yours.

Lord Helpus
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:35 PM
If you are a preppy, then name him after a prep school:

Exeter
Andover
Deerfield
Choate
Lawrenceville
Hotchkiss
Holderness

Hmmmm.... Those were where the boys I dated (way- back-when) went. I know there are tons more, but I never dated anyone from other schools. :winkgrin:

Kryswyn
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:42 PM
Please 2tempe, the horses have NO CLUE what their registered names are, and while they *might* recognize the sound of their stable names, I've never had a problem changing their names. Rescue dogs get new names all the times, and very often I think it's a good thing because they've been abused by the person using that name. And people who don't like their names change them.

To the OP, so many of the names posted here are used so frequently I wouldn't consider them. Any thing with Class has been done a thousand times. I've known 2 horses called Limited Edition.

TKR
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:46 PM
You could look forward to the future and call him
King William
Lord Montbatten (sp)
King Arthur or Arthur's Court
Count Dracula?!
Robespierre
Rothschild
Dom Perignon
Royal Elixer
Balmoral
Sir Elton (John)
Royal Air Force
Tsar Nicholas
Sir Lancelot
King Lear
Hamlet
Ruling Monarch
King To Be
Regal Bearing
Realm of Power

Good luck!
PennyG

Mukluk
Mar. 19, 2011, 01:59 AM
Uppercrust
Lowell
Cabot
Hoity Toity
Debonaire
Care to Dance?

I think I would do better coming up with red neck names.

chemteach
Mar. 19, 2011, 05:46 AM
Silver-Tongued Devil and call him "Cad"

Event4Life
Mar. 19, 2011, 06:38 AM
I like Balmoral - name of the Queen's residence in Scotland.

Well known Prep schools in the UK:
Eton
Harrow
Marlborough
Wellington
Fettes
Could just go with Academy, as already mentioned.

Royal Residences:
Windsor (actually really like this for a horse)
Sandringham
Buckingham (obviously)
Holyrood (Queen's residence in Edinburgh) - is also a park, so Holyrood Park might be kind of cool.
Balmoral

Other
Hyde Park?
Royal Flush - sorry, could not resist.

Favourites so far? I like names with themes - cool!

judybigredpony
Mar. 19, 2011, 07:32 AM
Fine Print
Editorial
Readers Proof
Editors Review
National Trust
Queens Guard
Parade Review
Knighted
London Bridge
Chelsea Square
Royal Commission
Royal Obligation
Gatecomb Park
Trafalger Square
Palace Guard
Royal Warrent

dogbluehorse
Mar. 19, 2011, 07:55 AM
I love Rhythm and Blues. Excellent name for a hunter, since rhythm is really important, and who would complain about getting blue ribbons all the time? Go with that one, it's a fantastic name.

Event4Life
Mar. 20, 2011, 04:48 AM
I was thinking about this today and thought of another one that might be really cool for a horse's show name - Osborne House, which was Queen Victorias holiday residence on the Isle of Wight.

LuvMyTB
Mar. 20, 2011, 09:39 AM
WOW--I haven't been on here since Friday--I can't believe all the name ideas!!! I'm overwhelmed right now, LOL.

Favorites so far:

First Edition/Limited Edition
Lacoste
Editorial
Academy/Royal Academy? Academy Royale?
Fine Print
Atticus Finch (love, love, love that book)
Pulitzer

I saw a few others I liked--I'll have to make a list.

I will say that a lot of the names are great, but I have seen/heard them before--Kensington, Windsor, even Westminster--I've personally known a few horses with those names.

So over the weekend I started thinking of other avenues to pick names from--favorite songs/artists etc.--but that was hard.....all I could come up with was "Ventura Boulevard" from the lyrics in the song "Free Fallin" (huge Petty fan).

2tempe....I am not "obssessed" with names--would just like to pick one that fits him/us a little better. I've kept his barn name since day 1 and will not be changing it.

EAY--maybe "hate" was too strong of a word; I just have really never liked birds. They kind of creep me out. Maybe I saw the Hitchcock movie one too many times.

Ugh--who knew choosing a name would be this hard? LOL. Thank you for all the help....please post if you think of a good one, even if it's totally off the wall.

Question for you all: How did YOU pick your horse's show name? What did you use for inspiration?

Event4Life
Mar. 20, 2011, 12:19 PM
WOW--I haven't been on here since Friday--I can't believe all the name ideas!!! I'm overwhelmed right now, LOL.

Favorites so far:

First Edition/Limited Edition
Lacoste
Editorial
Academy/Royal Academy? Academy Royale?
Fine Print
Atticus Finch (love, love, love that book)
Pulitzer

I saw a few others I liked--I'll have to make a list.

I will say that a lot of the names are great, but I have seen/heard them before--Kensington, Windsor, even Westminster--I've personally known a few horses with those names.

So over the weekend I started thinking of other avenues to pick names from--favorite songs/artists etc.--but that was hard.....all I could come up with was "Ventura Boulevard" from the lyrics in the song "Free Fallin" (huge Petty fan).

2tempe....I am not "obssessed" with names--would just like to pick one that fits him/us a little better. I've kept his barn name since day 1 and will not be changing it.

EAY--maybe "hate" was too strong of a word; I just have really never liked birds. They kind of creep me out. Maybe I saw the Hitchcock movie one too many times.

Ugh--who knew choosing a name would be this hard? LOL. Thank you for all the help....please post if you think of a good one, even if it's totally off the wall.

Question for you all: How did YOU pick your horse's show name? What did you use for inspiration?

My first pony we leased before I purchased him, so his name kind of stuck. It suited him too. As his barn name was Stanley, my trainer nicknamed him "Stan The Man" which turned into his show name.

For my TB (unregistered...but I don't feel the need to keep registered names, Stan was registered and his registered name was AWFUL), her name before I got her was "Clio" which I didn't like because it reminded me of a school horse I hadn't got on with well. I changed her barn name to "Cassidy", after one of my favourite characters in the Thoroughbred series. Her show name became "Flying Colours" because she passed her vet check, which had made us all very nervous. I insisted on using the british spelling of Colours & got very annoyed when show secretaries changed it.

Out of those I like Academy Royale or Pulitzer best :-D.