PDA

View Full Version : Free Jumping?

mbm
Mar. 18, 2011, 12:54 PM
Hi All -

I am looking for info on free jumping .... specifically heights, spacing , length of each session, etc.

i have read the standard text's (klimke etc) but since i am training a pony (14.2+ with a large stride) i thought i would ask here.

he is just turning 3 - isn't backed yet, just now bringing into light pre backing work.... i would like to free jump him on an ongoing basis.

i will be working in a small indoor... shorter than a short court, but wider....

he is a connemara if that matters :)

input appreciated :)

Isabeau Z Solace
Mar. 18, 2011, 04:51 PM
First train him to work loose in the arena.

Then introduce the chute.

Forget about proper distances and heights. Just do what the horse can do.

Some horses 'get' it easily. Some do not. Some will take to the same exercises prescribed for teaching jumping under saddle (four trot poles to 3/4 stride pole/x-rail) some will just charge thru like lunatics no matter what you put in front of them.

After training them to work loose in the arena and making sure they know how to go thru an empty chute and come to a stop when I ask, I start by adding just a pole and then x-rail.
Gymnastics/combinations come when they are ready.

Those with natural jumping talent are easy to train and not only don't mind it, but are comfortable being asked.

Of course you can pull it off all in one day, but you can also teach a horse to piaffe 12 steps in one day if you provide sufficient motivation.....

TKR
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:55 PM
Someone should make a video of the "how-to" from beginning to end instead of just giving the instructions or measurements.
PennyG

Duckz
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:06 PM
here's a how-not-to video ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNAsFZzZhFE

mbm
Mar. 19, 2011, 12:16 AM
i think ingrid klimke has videos.... but i am too poor to purchase at the mo.

mbm
Mar. 19, 2011, 12:20 AM
oh, btw: pony free lunges, lunges, an has gone thru a shoot that had a ground pole and cross rail.

i need info on spacing etc since pony is a pony and all the books talk about horses... and i dont want to hurt his confidence etc. :)

oh, and along the lines of the fail video... when i was setting up the jumps the other day, i turned pony loose since it was easier.. and instead of wandering off he followed me over everything i walked over.... and far more elegantly that i! lol!

Bent Hickory
Mar. 19, 2011, 11:35 AM
Someone should make a video of the "how-to" from beginning to end instead of just giving the instructions or measurements.
PennyG

http://www.hanoverian.org/marketplace/store.shtml

Look for AHS Free Jumping Clinic Video and DVD.

mbm
Mar. 19, 2011, 12:40 PM
any help with distances appropriate heights, number of times a week to school etc?

Bent Hickory
Mar. 19, 2011, 04:16 PM
We start ours through the FJ chute as late yearlings. We typically just use piles of rails for the youngsters and might end up with a small cross-rail as the last element.

With the youngsters we don't "measure" the distances as the standards of the chute gets set for adult horses. We just set the piles of poles for the younger horses based on their stride lengths. So I can't help you with specific distances.

With two adults and two young kids, our chute takes two hours to set up and another two hours to take down so it only happens on long weekends about four times a year (Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, etc.). When it does get set up, we run everyone through it 5-6 times on each of three consecutive days. By the third day, all the horses know the drill of going forward through the chute. We typically don't set anything higher than about 3 feet, except for kicks with the older horses or for those younger horses that need to see a bigger fence once or twice in preparation for a performance test, but even then, not more than 4 feet high with a 4 foot spread.

On this schedule, by the time the horses are late 3 year olds, they are proficient through the chute.