PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Devoucoux saddle. Fit question

Fiwi
Mar. 18, 2011, 01:35 PM
I ride a few different horses and am looking for a versatile saddle. I really like the Devoucoux. I currently ride in a 16" Butet. If you are familiar with the saddles, I'm wondering if the Devoucoux Biarritz runs true to size. What about the Oldara? Which do you prefer?

holaamigoalter
Mar. 18, 2011, 01:58 PM
Don't know anything about the Devocoux. But I can tell you the CWD with the professional panels fits almost everyone! I have found 2 horses out of the (approximately) 75 it has been on that it doesn't fit.

SevenDogs
Mar. 18, 2011, 02:52 PM
I bought a Devoucoux Chiberta but tried the Biarritz and found both to run true to size, so I would assume that Devoucoux as a brand tends to run true.

shmon
Mar. 18, 2011, 03:01 PM
Devoucoux saddles mostly run true, but the Biarritz is a much deeper saddle than the Oldara, so I know a few people that size up 1/2" in the Biarritz.

Frizzle
Mar. 18, 2011, 04:16 PM
I've ridden in a Biarritz a few times and LOVED it. I felt like my leg had finally "found its home," and I didn't have to struggle to keep it in the correct place. My only issue with the French saddles is the foam panels, which can't be adjusted -- I prefer wool.

BAC
Mar. 18, 2011, 04:31 PM
My only issue with the French saddles is the foam panels, which can't be adjusted -- I prefer wool.

I get so tired of hearing this. For one thing, several of the French saddlers offer wool flocking as an option, so you don't have to have foam panels unless you want them. Also, foam panels can be adjusted to some degree, but your statement is misleading. And foam panels can be replaced with a different configuration of panel as well. It is more expensive, and time consuming, to replace foam panels than to reflock with wool.

The OP might be better off with foam, as she is looking for something to ride many horses in. High quality foam acts much as a good mattress does, it conforms to the shape of the person sleeping on it, and then springs back into shape when they leave. The same is true of foam panels. And integrated panels make the saddle even more likely to fit a wide variety of horses. If the tree doesn't fit a particular horse it doesn't matter whether it is foam or wool, it still won't fit.

Fiwi
Mar. 18, 2011, 04:36 PM
What about the flap length? How do they compare? Thanks for the help. There's no place nearby for me to try one. I started thinking about the Devoucox after reading the positive remarks on this forum.

shmon
Mar. 18, 2011, 05:03 PM
Flap length for me was pretty consistent with most other saddles. In Devoucoux/CWD/Antares, a 2 is "average" length.

SquishTheBunny
Mar. 18, 2011, 06:41 PM
I have a Devoucoux Biarritz, and ride my friends TB in a Butet flat seat.

Butet and the Devoucoux are pretty similar in size. I'd "maybe" go up 1/2 inch if you are used to a flat seat, but I dont notice a huge difference between the 2. They certainly do not run big, but I wouldnt say than ran small either.

I LOVE both of the saddles, but the devoucoux is a little more cushy. The butet is 12 years old now though...and looks brand new. I think the devoucoux may wear out faster because its all calfskin. Either way,I really love the fit for me and it fits my 3 horses well too (two thoroughbreds and a warmblood). I had the option for wool, but after talking with saddle fitter we decided to go with foam as its being used on 3 horses. Couldnt be happier since it really seems to fit all 3 very well.

I think you will be VERY happy with your purchase!

KateKat
Mar. 18, 2011, 08:02 PM
I just rode in one of these the other night. Very deep seat, I fit in a 17-17.5 depending on the brand and this one was too small. So I would probably have to size up at least a half. Very comfy seat though.

TarheelJD
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:28 PM
I just rode in one of these the other night. Very deep seat, I fit in a 17-17.5 depending on the brand and this one was too small. So I would probably have to size up at least a half. Very comfy seat though.

I agree with KateKat. All of my saddles (County, Stubben, Passier) have been 17.5. When I spent time with the Devoucoux rep, he recommended an 18 or 18.5 for me in the Biarritz, and he was right - I needed the bigger size.

Fiwi
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:57 PM
This has all been very helpful. I have my eye on one in Buffalo. I originally wanted calf, but the buffalo is supposed to be more durable and stickier. Probably doesn't matter a whole lot in the end.

Thanks to all for your very helpful insight!

SevenDogs
Mar. 19, 2011, 02:24 AM
I have Buffalo -- LOVE it and find it very durable. I'm not very good about cleaning/conditioning and it is doing great (four years old and looks new).

The Chiberta is pretty deep (seemed deeper than Biarritz) and I bought the same 17.5 size rhat I have in other saddles. Might just be personal taste.

horsecents
Mar. 19, 2011, 10:49 AM
I bought a new Devoucoux Biarritz a year ago. I love it. I'm 5'5", 140 lbs, long legs and ride in a 17 1/2 2AA. I could have gone with the 2A but wanted a little more saddle above my thigh, at the time my horse was narrower and I felt my stirrups needed to be shorted to have better leg contact. I also event so I needed to be able to raise my stirrups for XC. My saddle is calf, it does mark easily but those rub out, mostly from my stirrups when I'm putting my saddle away or from when I get off my horse and my clothing brushes up against the saddle (mostly zippers). I only have one horse so the panels fit him, the panels can be changed, for a price, to fit a different horse. If you go with the integrated panels the panels can never be changed. The Biarritz and Chiberta are the same saddle configuration except the Chiberta is a monoflap. I worked with Eric LeySalle, the eastcoast Devoucoux rep, and was very pleased.

Halfhalting
Mar. 19, 2011, 11:05 AM
I just ordered a used Biarritz and an Oldara to try last week! I LOVED the biarritz saddle. It fit my mare beautifully. BUT, it was a tad small in the seat because it was so deep, I would need to go up 1/2 size. It was perfect for finding the correct position when flatting, but I "felt" it a few times when jumping, hence why I think a tad bigger seat may have helped... Pommel is high. Super cushy.

The Oldara saddle also fit my mare beautifully. It is not as deep as the Biarritz, but felt deep enough to give plenty of security. Definitely not a flat seat. The thigh blocks were perfectly placed. I can get out of the saddle easily when jumping but always come back to the same spot. Not as "auto correcting" for position as the Biarritz when flatting, but puts me in an excellent seat still. I found that the 17.5 Oldara ran true to size, probably because it was not as deep/high pommel as the Biarritz. That particular model had the integrated panels, very cushy.

Ultimately, I preferred the Oldara. I thought for sure I would want the deeper seat Biarritz, but I just loved how the Oldara felt over and between the jumps - very secure and balanced. The Oldara also had integrated panels which is awesome. I don't think you can go wrong with either one if it fits you and your horses are M-MW in build.

Silly Mommy
Mar. 19, 2011, 05:37 PM
When I was trying out saddles, I felt I would prefer the Oldara if I was strictly riding hunters. Since I am a jumper gal at heart, I went with the Biarritz:cool:.

I LOVE it 3 years later and it fits nearly everything I ride. I ride a wide variety of TB and WB types. I am currently having a slippage problem with a baby that has no withers, but that would happen with any saddle:winkgrin:.