PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the shirts that are missing chokers?

seeuatx
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:16 AM
I realized that one of my stripey shirts, and my plain white shirt are both missing their collars. That only leaves me with my lavender shirt.

Now, the white shirt I've usually used mostly for dressage anyway, and have a stock for it, but sometimes I did like to use it. I have never monogrammed any of my chokers because I just don't like the look.

Think anyone would honestly really notice the difference between a buttoned up shirt with no choker, and one with an un-monogrammed choker?

My budget is super tight and I can't afford to buy new ones right now (would love some of the snap collars right now though and then would not have to worry about this)

Jo
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:21 AM
How long is the butt part? I forget the correct term, but I know people have had new collars made from the extra fabric on the butt part. :)

MintHillFarm
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:22 AM
Is there enough tail length in the shirt that you could have one made by cutting off some of that material?

seeuatx
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:25 AM
Super long. I tend to buy clearance, so if it's within a size or two it's all mine. Both were too big, and a friend of my mom's, who is a seamstress, took them in for me super cheap but left the length. Never thought about that, but will definitely call her and see if she can do something for me.

Thanks guys.

AliO
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:31 AM
I lose collars like its cool, and I've shown without them plenty of times. No one has ever said anything.

fair judy
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:58 AM
i was going to suggest making one from the tail of the shirt.

Yes, people do notice. it is like wearing navy stockings with a black dress..... close, but no cigar.

STA
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:08 AM
Make a new choker from the tail. I have a consignment shop and I have new chokers made from the tails. Since the tail is tucked into your breeches or jodhpurs, the tailor just adds a new piece of fabric to replace the piece taken to make the choker.

chunky munky
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:11 AM
Yes we do notice. Like an unmade bed. The one thing you always have control over at the horse show is what you look like when you walk in the ring.
I had many a collar made from the back tail of a shirt. use another collar as a pattern, cut off the back tail, use thin white cotton fabric as the inside. You can also sew on a new tail of the same thin white cotton just so the shirt stays tucked in properly.

sarcam02
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:55 AM
i was going to suggest making one from the tail of the shirt.

Yes, people do notice. it is like wearing navy stockings with a black dress..... close, but no cigar.

I have had grandma and/or the tailor do this on a few shirts in the past with good luck. The tails have been so long that we did not need to add replacement fabric back

doublesstable
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:58 AM
Go to your local tack store and ask if they have an extra. I know this because my white choker was old looking and they did have extras.

I do wish they sold them separately. You could mix and match compementary colors...

batman the horse
Mar. 18, 2011, 07:23 PM
I do wish they sold them separately. You could mix and match compementary colors...

Start mixing and matching and you might just start a new trend! :winkgrin:

War Admiral
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:34 PM
Start mixing and matching and you might just start a new trend! :winkgrin:

Actually, that would be reviving an OLD trend. Time was, you could get uber-cool polka-dotted, paisley, and all kinds of fun colors. One of them from the 1970s actually survived at the very back of my chest of drawers until just a couple years ago - probably b/c it was the one I disliked the most and never wished to touch again - canary yellow on one side, brown with white daisies on the other. :uhoh:

M. Owen
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:37 PM
I have seen spare chokers for sale at tack shops in standard colors, like white, blue, etc. You may be able to find a replacement if you can't get one made.

pony4me
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:59 PM
Try the Giveaways forum here. Someone might have an extra one, especially a white one.

PNWjumper
Mar. 19, 2011, 12:00 PM
When I'm using one of my old shirts, I never use my chokers (my new ones are all the built-in-choker/snap kind). I ride with just the buttoned up shirt and though I'm sure the super-detail-oriented person might notice, I've never had anyone comment, and it doesn't look odd in pictures or videos.

Troispony
Mar. 19, 2011, 05:17 PM
The Dover store near me always has a basket of single collars that you can buy. Call some tack stores near you and see if they have any for sale, especially if its a white or solid colored shirt.

jodyml813
Mar. 19, 2011, 07:53 PM
Another option is to turn a long-sleve shirt into a short-sleved one! I've lived in Florida and Georgia my whole life and most folks ride in short-sleves. Use the sleves to make the new choker!

fair judy
Mar. 20, 2011, 10:05 AM
Actually, that would be reviving an OLD trend. Time was, you could get uber-cool polka-dotted, paisley, and all kinds of fun colors. One of them from the 1970s actually survived at the very back of my chest of drawers until just a couple years ago - probably b/c it was the one I disliked the most and never wished to touch again - canary yellow on one side, brown with white daisies on the other. :uhoh:

we always seem to be returning to the old fashions and calling them new trends!!!! love it. i used to make my own chokers from my dad's ties. that was back when we had to roam the aisles of drugstores searching for quantities of hair nets that weren't white or had little colorful balls on them and made our own wraps from cotton sheets and cheesecloth! :cool:

War Admiral
Mar. 20, 2011, 10:17 AM
i used to make my own chokers from my dad's ties.

Wow, I'm impressed - I never would have thought of that! I bet they were gorgeous!!! I used to just buy the cheapo reversible ones you could get at the tack shops for, what was it, like $5? ($3 if they were fugly and on sale, which I am *sure* is how I got the awful brown with yellow daisies one! :lol:)

I admit I do sort of wish this trend would come back. It was practical as well as fun; no issue whatsoever if you lost all the chokers that came with your shirt.

Anybody want to go first?? :)

seeuatx
Mar. 20, 2011, 06:08 PM
Wow, I'm impressed - I never would have thought of that! I bet they were gorgeous!!! I used to just buy the cheapo reversible ones you could get at the tack shops for, what was it, like $5? ($3 if they were fugly and on sale, which I am *sure* is how I got the awful brown with yellow daisies one! :lol:)

I admit I do sort of wish this trend would come back. It was practical as well as fun; no issue whatsoever if you lost all the chokers that came with your shirt.

Anybody want to go first?? :)

I would totally do it if A) my lease mare were mine (Fingers crossed, praying to God and anyone else I can think of, lol) since I don't mind being looked at funny but I'm not sure her current owner would love it. And B) if she weren't so darned green. Can't be a trend setter if the rest of the picture isn't there. I don't want to be that girl ;)

I've been in love with the two-tone thing since I saw Horse in the Grey Flannel Suit. This scene shows the actress in a white shirt with blue collar and either a grey or light blue coat. Love it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq9z3dJRE4A.

For now I'll just stick to using a bit off the bottom.