PDA

View Full Version : training contract?

morganpony86
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:26 AM
Are training contracts common? I board at a barn, and plan to put my boy into 30 days training. I plan to talk to the trainer about goals (I have 3), but am curious about how to "protect" myself and my horse. In the past, I've known my trainer for at least a few years before putting my horse in training, so I've never been worried. But I've only know this trainer for a few months.
I've seen her put some students up on her training horses (which I am definitely not comfortable with), but I don't know the backstory behind those situations so perhaps it was discussed with the owners prior. Also covering things like showing while in training. There's an in-house schooling show during the month he'll be in training, and the trainer routinely goes to local A & B shows.

So should I expect one? Should I ask her to draw one up? Are these situations usually covered verbally?

Couture TB
Mar. 18, 2011, 12:15 PM
Always insist on a contract. If she does not have one, provide one yourself. It covers both your butts.

chunky munky
Mar. 18, 2011, 12:40 PM
I would be somewhat hesitant to put my horse in training with a professional that does not have their own contract. That says something about them right there.