PDA

View Full Version : Registration number for TB

EllenAspen
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know how to find a registration number for the TB that has never raced? I know she is registered...I can find her pedigree on the jockey club website but can't seem to find a number...:confused:

Laurierace
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:17 AM
There is no way to get the number without having the papers or the tattoo.

EllenAspen
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks, Laurierace...we bought this mare from someone who can't find the papers and are applying for duplicates through the Jockey Club. We are breeding her so was going to put her registration number on the breeding contract. But, from what you are saying we have to wait until we get the duplicate papers from the Jockey Club....correct?

Laurierace
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:30 AM
Right unless she has a tattoo.

Xctrygirl
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:31 AM
Were it me, I'd be awfully darn sure that she is the mare on the papers before I bred her. It'd be not very helpful if you're breeding to run and that mare's or foal's DNA test didn't match with what her pedigree on the duplicates says she is.

~Emily

EllenAspen
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:31 AM
No tatoo...she never raced. Is the Jockey Club difficult about giving out duplicate papers?

EllenAspen
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:35 AM
Were it me, I'd be awfully darn sure that she is the mare on the papers before I bred her. It'd be not very helpful if you're breeding to run and that mare's or foal's DNA test didn't match with what her pedigree on the duplicates says she is.

Emily...we aren't racing her...she is to be crossed with a warmblood to be a hunter/jumper.

Laurierace
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:38 AM
Duplicates are easy to get provided the person requesting them is the person who actually had them last and can sign an affidavit stating what happened to the originals. You might have a little trouble for example but it will be easy for her previous owner.

Xctrygirl
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:39 AM
Emily...we aren't racing her...she is to be crossed with a warmblood to be a hunter/jumper.

Then you're fine...

What's her name out of curiosity?

~Emily

danceronice
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:42 AM
No tatoo...she never raced. Is the Jockey Club difficult about giving out duplicate papers?

Very. There is a fee (I've heard ca. $400) and you must have a written statement from the last person to have the papers saying how they were destroyed or lost. They also need proof this is the mare in question. Tattoo #, I would think DNA but I've never done the process myself so I don't know, but proof this is the horse and you're not trying to create a ringer with this mare's identity.

Basically, they don't care about the horse's identity if she's being bred for non-purebred foals that can't be registered with them so there's really no incentive for them to go out of their way, and they don't want to just hand out papers to everyone who comes along with a "thoroughbred" with no proof of identity or proof that there won't be two sets of papers floating around for the same horse.

EllenAspen
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:50 AM
What's her name out of curiosity?

Slew's Hot Topic.

The reason the papers are important to us even though she isn't going to race is because you have to have them to get the mare approved to one of the warmblood registries...ie the American Hanoverian Association. Once the mare is approved her foals can be branded.

danceronice
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:57 AM
Slew's Hot Topic.

The reason the papers are important to us even though she isn't going to race is because you have to have them to get the mare approved to one of the warmblood registries...ie the American Hanoverian Association. Once the mare is approved her foals can be branded.

The thing is, that's not the JC's problem. In fact it's counter to their interests (crossbreds are of no value to them or the breed as they're out of the studbook and their offspring won't be registerable), so they're not going to be hugely motivated to be helpful.

It shouldn't be too hard, though, IF you've got the old owner there in contact and she can draft the statement (it might have to be notarized?) that the papers have been lost/presumed destroyed. Then if you have everything else they need (again, samples for DNA, markings, photos, etc) you can pay the fee and get the second set. But it's meant to be a very hard process as they don't want people passing just anything off as a TB.

EllenAspen
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:18 AM
FYI...just talked to the Jockey Club and they were very helpful. Told her that I knew she was registered but couldn't get the papers from the breeder...that she couldn't find them. She wasn't being very helpful and I didn't think she would go to the trouble to get a notarized statement saying the papers had been lost.

She said that I could sign a notarized statement saying the previous owner accidently threw them away. Take pictures, proof of ownership and $150. She already faxed me the Duplicate Certification of Foaling Form...

So we will see...

MardiGrasTimeStable
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:45 AM
I was going to say the Jockey Club has never given us problems for ANYTHING we've had to deal with. And trust me we have had some "Strange" ones in the last few years. To date they have been more then helpful with everything and we never had a problem obtaining duplicate papers for lost papers (or in one case "wrong papers" - similar markings, nearly illegible tattoo, yeah that was fun to figure out).
A phone call and conversation with them usually helps move things along smoothly. They really have no reason to let a TB float around without papers - its their benefit SHOULD the horse ever be used for a full-TB breeding to have the papers with the horse so /that/ foal could be JC registered..