PDA

View Full Version : Stats - colts vs fillies

Hippie
Mar. 17, 2011, 09:39 PM
The other thread has got me thinking....why is it that some breeders have these huge runs of either colts or fillies, whilst others get even numbers. I am a breeder in Australia and my stats are similar to Equine Reproduction's.....four fillies from about 40 foals. There must be something we are doing that causes this, when the odds are supposed to be 50:50 every time.

There was a study done on wild horses where they found that more fillies were born when the mares were losing condition at the time of conception and more colts were born if the mares were gaining condition. Perhaps there's something that happens to the uterine environment during weight loss or gain to favour the male or female sperm....

So, for the breeders out there, what are your colt v filly stats and do you have any comments to make on the condition (or any other management factor) of your mares?

alliekat
Mar. 17, 2011, 09:47 PM
We are very early in our breeding program so not sure how much weight our stats hold but so far we are 3 out of 3 fillies. I am thrilled with that but have a feeling that this year my mares will be doing the colt thing. We have 2 due this year.
But if it makes anyone feel better we are 3 out of 3 for chestnut fillies. LOL

EquusMagnificus
Mar. 17, 2011, 09:55 PM
Well I bred two mares last year, one of them was relatively thin (after suffering from colic post-foaling) and the other was... her usual lean self, with a colt at side (which didn't make it though).

The second is due mid-May, the first, mid-June. A friend came over and said she was betting they were both carrying fillies. :winkgrin: So we'll see. So far I've had... 3 colts, 2 fillies and of those, I have only actually bred 2 myself, the others were either a) surprise foal or b) the mare as bought in foal already.

If I have two healthy fillies and two healthy mares, I think I'll cry with joy. :sadsmile:

Dressage_Diva333
Mar. 17, 2011, 10:15 PM
I've bred them at all conditions... from a little thin post weaning to quite fat. I haven't found any correlation. I've had 10 foals; 7 fillies, 3 colts. Al fresh or fresh cooled breedings.

My stallion, however, is exactly 50/50 so far! :)

Here are my mares' results (obviously I didn't breed all these foals! Some I don't have anymore. Using barn names to help me keep track.):

Gracie: 2 fillies, 1 colt.
Tess: 1 filly.
Kitty: 2 colts.
Bailey: 1 filly, 1 colt.
Dolly: 2 fillies.
Trea: 5 colts (in a row), 1 filly.
Katie: 6 fillies, 1 colt.

Daydream Believer
Mar. 17, 2011, 10:23 PM
One of my stallions has produced consistently for six years predominantly fillies to a variety of mares. He's about 70% girls to boys. Our other stallion, who we've not bred as much, has done about 50/50.

Apparently there are some stallions that do produce more of one gender than another.

back in the saddle
Mar. 17, 2011, 10:25 PM
Has this been a colt or filly year so far?

genevieveg17
Mar. 17, 2011, 10:34 PM
2 for 2 colts so far this year. 7 more to go.
I usually end up pretty close to 50/50 unless I really want a keeper filly. Then it is a colt year.

everafterfarm
Mar. 17, 2011, 11:24 PM
I am still in the early stages of developing my program, but so far I have been 5 fillies and 2 colts with 2 coming this April. Mostly I breed and sell the foals, so I don't care much what they are as long as they are healthy and such.

BUTTTTT this year I have bred a keeper and I don't have a clue what I even want!! Part of me is so hoping for a colt that could be a possible stallion prospect for me to keep, but then on the other hand if it's a filly i don't have to stress about spending the money to get a stallion approved and get a good show record on him not to mention the tons of other stuff I'd need to do to get set up to have a stallion. While I guess I'm hoping for a colt, I am kinda secretly hoping it's a filly. That makes no sense at all!!! At least I won't really care what it is though!

coloredcowhorse
Mar. 18, 2011, 12:12 AM
So, for the breeders out there, what are your colt v filly stats and do you have any comments to make on the condition (or any other management factor) of your mares?

When doing in-hand breeding and covering mares only on day 3 and 5 I got about 50% each. Have done pasture breeding lately and so far in 4 years, 10 foals, 3 fillies. Used a different stallion this year but pasture bred....8 foals due starting next month so will have to see how that goes.

IronwoodFarm
Mar. 18, 2011, 05:19 AM
Our stallion is 15 colts to 4 fillies for the past 6 years. We are expecting 2 more soon and I'd be surprised to see a filly between the mares.

Of course my stallion thinks that it's really that a matter of the law of large numbers. If he had more mares to breed, he would be able to show that it really does even out to 50-50 in a larger population. :lol:

Callaway
Mar. 18, 2011, 06:57 AM
Out of 7 foals on the ground, 2 have been fillies and 5 have been colts. I have 3 due this year and am hoping for 3 fillies! I had all colts last year. I find that the colts are harder to sell as young horses (of course, once they're riding age, most want geldings).

madamlb
Mar. 18, 2011, 06:59 AM
My maiden mare had a colt this year.
I'll be talking to the universe, doing voodoo, worshipping false gods or whatever it might take next year- I want a FILLY :D

EllenAspen
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:12 AM
We are fairly new as well...but, we have had three foals and all three were colts. Have one due any moment and one due mid May...

JB
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:22 AM
The condition (losing, gaining) thing may be a generality, but when someone like Kathy has had all sorts of mares, all sorts of stallions, AI, LC, fresh, frozen, pretty much throwing out anything that would skew any results, well, what can you say about that? LOLOL

I think we've all tried to "blame" Kathy's situation on the water, her timing, SOMEthing she is doing specifically, and it's just all blown aside as being a non-factor.

Tasker
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:40 AM
We have found 0 correlation between colts vs. fillies in regards to the mare's condition at breeding. But we have never attempted to keep a mare thin or fat - just in good condition. Some years we do have a slightly higher ratio in one or the other but it averages out to 50/50 in the 40+ years. That being said, I like to have a foal crop that is a single sex - it makes weaning and dividing the herd simpler down the road in a small way. Here is a rough breakdown since the 70's (that I can remember and/or we kept). There were some larger crops in the 80's but I was disinterested (elementary school has a way of distracting a kid), so I can verify these numbers with my parents.

77 - 1 colt, 6 others (3 c, 3 f) lost to Rhino (no vaccine at the time)
78 - 2 colts, and there were some other Rhino deaths I believe.
79 - 2 fillies that we kept.
83 - 1 filly that we kept.
84 - 2 colts, 1 filly
86 - 2 colts
87 - 2 colts, 1 filly
88 - 1 colt
91 - 1 filly
94 - 1 colt
95 - 1 colt
96 - 2 colts, 1 filly
97 - 2 fillies
98 - 1 filly
99 - 2 fillies
2001 - 2 colts, 1 filly
2002 - 1 filly
2004 - 3 colts, 2 fillies
2005 - 1 colt, 2 fillies
2006 - 2 colts, 4 fillies
2007 - 4 colts, 2 fillies
2008 - 2 colts, 2 fillies
2009 - 3 colts, 1 filly
2010 - 3 fillies
2011 - 2 foals are due. I suspect 1 of each.

Equine Reproduction
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:11 AM
The condition (losing, gaining) thing may be a generality, but when someone like Kathy has had all sorts of mares, all sorts of stallions, AI, LC, fresh, frozen, pretty much throwing out anything that would skew any results, well, what can you say about that? LOLOL

I think we've all tried to "blame" Kathy's situation on the water, her timing, SOMEthing she is doing specifically, and it's just all blown aside as being a non-factor.

Yeah...^This <lol>. I've done everything but stand on my head and spit nickels. Obviously, we breed for success and not sex, and we have done everything...well..except live cover ;). But, we have collected and walked across the aisle and inseminated. We've bred mares that pooled lots of fluid several days before ovulation, we've bred AT ovulation with frozen semen, as well as fresh, we've bred POST ovulation (lost shipments that arrive late), we've bred mares on the gain, mares that are losing weight, old mares, young mares, tall mares, short mares...you name it, we've bred it. I'm thinking the odds are in my favor, right? I've got 6 mares due this year, so at least ONE of them should produce a filly, right???

The weird part about it is we breed LOTS of outside mares. Lots of them. And statistically, they are pretty much running 50/50 on sexes. It's just my own little corner of the world that the stats are so skewed. Grrrrr....

stolensilver
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:26 AM
Kathy the key is for you to want to have a colt. Then you'll be snowed in with fillies. :lol:

I've bred two foals, one filly, one colt. The one that is cooking this year has got to be a filly. I don't just want a mini-Matine, I need a mini-Matine. :D

Course, because I need a filly I'm not going to get one, am I? :(

paintjumper
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:41 AM
Have you tried feeding the cider vinegar? I did that some years back because my paint stallion was a colt producer and got great numbers of fillies that year, I think it was 5/6 or 6/7 in the filly department that year. I will be trying that again this year with my girls. Typically he would have 6/7 being colts. My old QH stallion was a filly producer, all the way. I think of all of his years breeding, he had maybe 8 colts, ever.

Formosus
Mar. 18, 2011, 10:45 AM
Ok,
I will play.
20 foals: 15 colts, 4 fillies.
This year I really don't care but next year I would like to keep a filly back...odds are not too good are they?
;)

Cindy's Warmbloods
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:07 AM
With a total of 17 foals, 13 fillies and 4 colts. Still hoping my filly streak continues!

turningpointequine
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:11 AM
I only breed one a year but got a colt in 2009 and a filly in 2010 (same sire, different dams). Have one due in May this year so we'll see.

Last year I wanted a bay colt, got a chestnut filly. LOL This year I just want a healthy foal. :)

Signature
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:17 AM
Our numbers are:

25 foals including two born yesterday: 13 colts, 12 fillies. So we're almost 50/50!

I will say that all our frozen semen breedings have resulted in colts. I don't know if it's true but they say the male sperm swim faster and die sooner, and the females are slower but live longer. So, breeding right at ovulation = colt makes sense, and breeding several days before ovulation = filly makes sense too... but, in the end it comes out 50/50 still so not sure it matters. LOL

JB
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:28 AM
This year I really don't care but next year I would like to keep a filly back...odds are not too good are they?
;)
Doesn't that mean you'll get the keeper filly this year? :winkgrin:

Formosus
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:44 AM
Doesn't that mean you'll get the keeper filly this year?

Probably, but they're all sold, so I can't...:sadsmile:

foxhavenfarm
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:46 AM
Out of 24 foals we have had 7 colts and 17 fillies. Interestingly, our stallion Artrageous has only produced 2 colts out of 11 foals.

jdeboer01
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:52 AM
I will say that all our frozen semen breedings have resulted in colts. I don't know if it's true but they say the male sperm swim faster and die sooner, and the females are slower but live longer. So, breeding right at ovulation = colt makes sense, and breeding several days before ovulation = filly makes sense too... but, in the end it comes out 50/50 still so not sure it matters. LOL

Are there any actual studies on frozen semen and gender? My only frozen semen foal so far has been a colt, and I have two "cooking" now -- hoping like crazy for fillies!

Cindy's Warmbloods
Mar. 18, 2011, 01:29 PM
Well 6 of mine were frozen semen breedings (post ovulation) and resulted in 5 out of 6 being fillies ;-)

Dalemma
Mar. 18, 2011, 01:55 PM
Well I have only bred once and got a filly but it was only the second filly for the stallion out of 24 foals on the ground....so I consider myself very lucky.

Dalemma

madamlb
Mar. 18, 2011, 06:03 PM
Are there any actual studies on frozen semen and gender? My only frozen semen foal so far has been a colt, and I have two "cooking" now -- hoping like crazy for fillies!

I've heard that, but I don't think there can be much in it (I say as I watch my frozen semen mares out the window) based on the results of friends I think it's pretty even.

Hippie
Mar. 20, 2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. So there doesn't seem to be concensus on condition loss or gain. How about diet? The acidic uterus is supposed to favour the female sperm (anecdotally at least)....I might start a new thread :)

RanchoAdobe
Mar. 20, 2011, 11:33 PM
I've got a filly streak going myself. Three for three on fillies, two fresh and one frozen. Two on the way this summer, so we will see if the streak continues!

sfstable
Mar. 21, 2011, 04:05 PM
I counted mine :)

19 live foals: 8 fillies, 11 colts
100% of frozen semen breedings have been fillies

on a side note, since I bred to Kathy's (ER) stallions, I have had 5 for 5 colts. Did she send her colt jinx to me along with the semen ?

My stallion's foals:
In Holland -- exactly 50% colts to fillies
In the US (including this year so far) 100% fillies

Antero Equestrian
Mar. 21, 2011, 07:47 PM
I am 5 colts to 10 fillies going into this season. Maybe I should breed to some of Kathy's stallions! :D

EllenAspen
Mar. 21, 2011, 11:34 PM
We have had four foals and four colts...

mtbeardoc
Mar. 21, 2011, 11:40 PM
Fifteen fillies and eight colts....course last year the filly fairy came with seven fillies...that changed the odds.

TSHEventing
Mar. 22, 2011, 08:50 AM
My mare has had 3 colts (two live cover, one fresh) and this years was a filly via frozen.