PDA

View Full Version : Darn That Alarm

BladicusStables
Mar. 12, 2011, 07:57 PM
Does anyone have any offspring from this TB stallion?

Flashy Gray VA
Mar. 12, 2011, 09:09 PM
I assume he sired timber great Darn Tipalarm? I loved watching that horse.

Florida Fan
Mar. 12, 2011, 11:16 PM
DTA raced here in S. Fla years back when I trained at Calder. His progeny are all older now, but the only two I know that I actually looked at for a friend of mine were broodmares at Big C Farms in Ocala. The one was a very typey smaller mare, fancy. The other mare was big, scopey, great neck and head.
I think his son, Pistols and Roses, still stands to a few mares, he is also in Ocala.
Personally, I loved the horse. Very flashy, game runner, always tried, and raced against some of the best of his time.

Mara
Mar. 12, 2011, 11:52 PM
I always loved his daughter Turnback The Alarm - a nice graded stakes-winning mare. I haven't kept up with her offspring, though.

shawneeAcres
Mar. 13, 2011, 08:33 AM
I had an appendix QH mare that was by him. She was quick and catty, but a bit unpredictable!

BladicusStables
Mar. 13, 2011, 02:22 PM
Huh, that is great! The mare I have is by him and she just turned 16. We just love her hoping to get a few more foals out of her, I guess all mares are different when it comes to how long they can reproduce. She orginally came from Ocala Florida I wonder if at one time she was at that barn Big C.... hmm I have a video of her but no photo's on this computer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUJrBdkM7kY video a little choppy, old camera. :)

Kwill
Mar. 13, 2011, 02:59 PM
Your mare is beautiful! Good luck on getting her bred, she must have gorgeous foals.

snaffles
Mar. 17, 2011, 08:42 AM
As I remember, Darn That Alarm died in a barn fire a few years ago in Florida.
He had many progeny that were known to be good jumpers, having size, good bone and very good looking. His name is good to see in a pedigree.

DMK
Mar. 17, 2011, 08:51 AM
DTA raced here in S. Fla years back when I trained at Calder. His progeny are all older now, but the only two I know that I actually looked at for a friend of mine were broodmares at Big C Farms in Ocala. The one was a very typey smaller mare, fancy. The other mare was big, scopey, great neck and head.
I think his son, Pistols and Roses, still stands to a few mares, he is also in Ocala.
Personally, I loved the horse. Very flashy, game runner, always tried, and raced against some of the best of his time.

I worked at a farm where DTA came to swim as a late 2 year old, I think, and then for a trainer at Calder whose barn was at the head of the path heading to the track (where it narrows and all the horses funnel through to get to the main track).

Whether he was a dark steel grey 2 year old heading for the pool or a near solid white Grand Old Man heading out to gallop, DTA always had incredible presence and he ALWAYS had an audience watch him go by.

Also I think Rising Star Farm had a DTA broodmare that was one of her favorites.

Beam Me Up
Mar. 17, 2011, 01:19 PM
There was a discussion of him going on in the eventing forum
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226131

summerhorse
Mar. 17, 2011, 09:37 PM
He ran a lot at Calder and we used to get the races from there on Sunshine Network every night (no longer, sigh) and I always remember the announcer (forget his name) going DARN that alarm! He was a lovely horse, so sad he and his barn mates died that way.