PDA

View Full Version : Using Eccotemp in Cowboy Shower-questions

LMH
Mar. 11, 2011, 12:19 PM
SO, I got my trailer all ready, Eccotemp in hand and have a few technical questions.

I have a hook hung in the front of the driver stall (straight load trailer).

Does the Eccotemp get hot enough to burn the wall? It is not metal but has a mat running up the wall?

If it is inside my shower curtain with me, is it safe? Or do I need to vent it some other way (I will have windows open in the back of the trailer).

Can I just put the propane tank right there next to me? That seems....close.

LOL...so confused.

I also bought 2 different kinds of solar showers.

IF I have access to hot water from a sink, is it easier to just fill the solar shower with hot water vs the whole eccotemp/propane set up?

Will the solar provide enough water pressure for a soothing shower (as compared to eccotemp)?

katarine
Mar. 11, 2011, 01:02 PM
Get a propane tank mount installed under the GN.
Get an RV place to install your tankless water heater.

Water pressure from a solar shower? Umm...It's a bag with a hose and a nozzle. Pressure? how about gravity for pressure LOL

Guilherme
Mar. 11, 2011, 01:26 PM
Water pressure is provided by either a pump or gravity. Or some combination.

I've seen "solar showers" that are essentially black water bags that you hang up so that you stand under it and the water flows down onto you by gravity. It's probably better than nothing, but it's not going to be a "Hollywood Shower" experience. Indeed it might make a "Navy Shower" seem luxurious. :)

If you have water pressure (from, say, a garden hose) them maybe this (or something like it) might be a better solution:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2300B700

It would certainly solve installation problems.

We use a small, 110v. hot water heater for our "cowboy shower." Water is supplied from the trailers 50 gal. tank by a 12v. pump. It works adequately for a "Navy shower." But you'll find out very quickly that you don't have just a lot of hot water at your disposal.

We went the electric route so we would not have to deal with a propane system. Any time you're burning propane you've got fire and ventilation issues.

Before spending a bunch of money I'd look around for alternatives. We did and I felt we picked the most efficient route for what we do.

G.

LMH
Mar. 11, 2011, 04:11 PM
Get a propane tank mount installed under the GN.
Get an RV place to install your tankless water heater.

{I have had the propane mounted-the gas hose is not long enough to reach. A longer hose is not recommended because it will impact gas pressure.

I do not want the tankless mounted permanently because it is a stall I want to use for horses as well when traveling and don't want them chewing on it.

I was actually looking for answers to my questions. LOL}

Water pressure from a solar shower? Umm...It's a bag with a hose and a nozzle. Pressure? how about gravity for pressure LOL

I found my answer to the solar shower-got it out and filled it...not too bad! Not as good as eccotemp but not bad at all!

LMH
Mar. 11, 2011, 04:12 PM
G. what electric unit do you have? Link??

Guilherme
Mar. 11, 2011, 06:28 PM
G. what electric unit do you have? Link??

I would have to go down to the shed and look at the trailer, but we bought it at Home Depot. It's the smallest one they make (maybe 1.75 gal.) and it is just adequate to the task.

It's getting dark but when we go down to ride tomorrow I'll try and remember to take a look and see if I see a name.

G.

Zwarte
Mar. 12, 2011, 08:38 PM
How about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Shower-Tankless-Water-Heater/dp/B002AUH29U

Guilherme
Mar. 13, 2011, 12:04 AM
When I was small my grandmother did not have hot water in the house. They had a small, plug in heater that she put on the cold water tap and got hot water for washing (dishes, people, whatever). When the washing was done the device was removed and put away. An "electric shower head" is a variation on this very old theme. :)

The problem with this is it will require some pretty specific wiring and when you're done all you can do is take a shower. For the same effort, and not much more money, you can get a real low capacity hot water heater (there are a number on the Amazon site) and be able to wash dishes, hands, etc.

Or go with the Coleman propane system (or something like it).

G.

katarine
Mar. 13, 2011, 09:09 AM
our LQ has a 6 gallon water heater. Heated via propane tank under the GN. Both Drake and I can get a good hot shower with really good water pressure...and as you said, have hot water in the sink for dishes, etc.