PDA

View Full Version : Forty Niner and status of Japan stallions after quake?

Mali
Mar. 11, 2011, 09:20 AM
I know he was pensioned a few years back, and the US tried to get him back here from Japan...any success? Seeing the devastation from this morning's earthquake made me wonder if our dear US bred stallions are okay.

Of course we're all concerned for the human lives, but I can't help but think of the horses as well.

Linny
Mar. 11, 2011, 09:43 AM
Japan is a very active breeding and racing nation. I am not certain where all the farms are but I do know that the island of Hokkaido is one of the breeding centers. Many former US horses as well as champions from urope and Asia are in residence there. I have not seen any coverage of that area specifically.

grits
Mar. 11, 2011, 09:58 AM
Shadai is right there, on Hokkaido, near the epicenter of the quake. I have to confess that I thought immediately of War Emblem. Anybody know anything about the damage there?

Third Glance
Mar. 11, 2011, 12:49 PM
Early reports are hopeful:

http://www.racingpost.com/news/bloodstock/japans-breeding-centre-escapes-worst-of-tsunami/828177/

Glimmerglass
Mar. 11, 2011, 12:51 PM
Racing Post 3-11-11 "Darley sires unharmed by earthquake in Japan" (http://www.racingpost.com/news/bloodstock/japans-breeding-centre-escapes-worst-of-tsunami/828177/)

Concern for the Japanese racing and breeding industry was summarised by America's Three Chimneys Farm, which used to stand Kentucky Derby winner Silver Charm, who is now at the Iburi Stallion station. "We know everyone is very concerned about Silver Charm and our other industry members (horses and human) in Japan," the stud said on its facebook page.

"Geographically speaking, the tsunami waves near where Silver Charm is didn't go as far inland as in other areas of Japan, so from a tsunami standpoint, he should theoretically be okay."

Glimmerglass
Mar. 11, 2011, 12:54 PM
Additional ... DRF 3-11-11 "Japan’s Thoroughbred breeding industry appears unscathed by quake, tsunami" (http://www.drf.com/news/japan%E2%80%99s-thoroughbred-breeding-industry-appears-unscathed-quake-tsunami)

The center of Japan’s Thoroughbred breeding industry – home to such American-bred champions as Azeri, Silver Charm, and Charismatic – appears to have escaped the nation’s largest-ever earthquake with relatively little damage.

Japanese police reported between 200 and 300 dead in Sendai, near the initial quake’e epicenter, and Kyodo News reported a ship carrying more than 100 was washed away by the tsunami.

The Yoshida family also own a training center in Sendai, but Barbe said that the center is five or six miles inland and did not, on initial reports, appear to have suffered any losses of people or horses.

Rubyfree
Mar. 11, 2011, 04:02 PM
Keep jingling and don't count those chickens yet, for people or critters.... a second quake struck further south, this one a 6.6. :cry:

Kandu-it
Mar. 14, 2011, 11:58 PM
Thank goodness....

ptownevt
Mar. 18, 2011, 11:08 AM
What about the radiation? Are these horses in range of the wind blowing radiation? What effects could the horses have? Infertility of the stallions? Birth defects?

Glimmerglass
Mar. 18, 2011, 03:10 PM
The Horse, Mar 18, 2011 "New Information on Japan's Equine Industry Surfaces " (http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=17949&src=LN)

"On account of the radiation leak caused by the explosions at Fukushima nuclear power plant, some of the training farms decided to move their horses to other areas (for safety reasons)," Mizobe noted.

He added that several riding clubs in the Fukushima prefecture evacuated their horses from the area to comply with Japanese government evacuation instructions in connection with the radiation leaks at the Fukushima nuclear plant.

He also noted that most of the training and breeding farms have enough stockpiled feed for their horses at present.

However, news from the Miyagi prefecture--one of the worse-hit regions--is not as positive. Mizobi explained that three riding clubs in the region were "submerged in the tsunami."

"Thirty-three riding horses belonging to these riding clubs were rescued," he noted. "But four horses were reported dead, and at least 18 horses were reported missing."

Agreed on the concerns tied into the lingering effects of radiation, et al.

Flashy Gray VA
Mar. 18, 2011, 08:19 PM
I could be totally off-base here but my understanding is that the main TB stud farms of Hokkaido (sp?) are located well (as in hundreds/thousands of miles) northwest of the hardest-hit regions. And with prevailing winds in the exact opposite direction of Hokkaido.

That said, I am a bit surprised that out of an abundance of caution regarding the radiation, some of these top stallions haven't been put on a plane to Europe or Dubai or Australia or wherever to hang out until the situation at the power plants is under control.

Mali
Mar. 18, 2011, 08:54 PM
I could be totally off-base here but my understanding is that the main TB stud farms of Hokkaido (sp?) are located well (as in hundreds/thousands of miles) northwest of the hardest-hit regions. And with prevailing winds in the exact opposite direction of Hokkaido.

That said, I am a bit surprised that out of an abundance of caution regarding the radiation, some of these top stallions haven't been put on a plane to Europe or Dubai or Australia or wherever to hang out until the situation at the power plants is under control.

Agreed! I can't imagine that with everything going on, breeding and racing is much of a priorty at the moment. I would think they would want to protect future investments as much as possible. I don't know how long they would have to be in quarantine, but at least get them off the island!

ptownevt
Mar. 18, 2011, 09:54 PM
Given the situation in Japan, it may not be possible right now to get the planes in and out for the horses.