PDA

View Full Version : Fwd: [AERCMembersForum] Statistics on horses with more than 8,000 miles

rainechyldes
Mar. 9, 2011, 01:51 PM
From the AERCMembers forum, this was presented by Mike Maul (former
AERC President and one of the people responsible for their IT) tob

I'm back from the AERC convention where I gave a talk on high mileage
horses.

The talk was a part of a mini-series sponsored by the Education
Committee and presented in the Trade Show area on Friday and Saturday.
Other speakers in the series included Dr. Jeannie Waldron, John
Crandell, Carol Giles, and Dinah Rojek.

I talked about the characteristics of horses with more than 8,000
lifetime miles (38) - breeds, fast vs slow, gender...and finished up
with my personal experience with my horse Rroco-my-Sol.

A pdf copy of the powerpoint slides presented is at

http://www.qser.net/10,000_Mile_Horses.pdf

The opening slide was:

What does it take to have a 10,000 mile horse?

How fast do you ride?
Where do you ride?
Types of rides you do?
What breeds?

There's some surprising conclusions that come out of this so if you look
at the slides and have some additional questions - fell free to email me
privately or post to the list as others may be interested in the
question as well.

Auventera Two
Mar. 15, 2011, 03:14 PM
I had been following all those posts with great interest. If a person wants legitimate endurance chat, that's the place to go.

Kyzteke
Mar. 15, 2011, 08:14 PM
I had been following all those posts with great interest. If a person wants legitimate endurance chat, that's the place to go.

I read the powerpoint presentation... why do you think (anyone) there are so few high mile horses these days?

rainechyldes
Mar. 15, 2011, 08:39 PM
time. money.
thats the easy answer as to why there are fewer imo.

Personally I believe some facets the face of endurance is changing. needs to change in fact to stay competitive world wide.

Riders possibly change horses more often now, due to a variey of reasons.

More stringent vet checks, more knowledge all round.
More competitions/year = more miles on the horses (wear and tear)
The quest for the fast 100ers to be competitive internationally - means that while they wish they could ride faithful old Dobby - if they want to gain points to be shortlisted and so forth, they have to switch horses.
etc etc

Lieselotte
Mar. 15, 2011, 09:13 PM
When you look at the records of high-mileage endurance riders like Karen Chaton and Dave Rabe for instance, the first thing you notice is that they go to all the multi-day rides in their own and neighboring regions and have at least two (Karen) or more horses available to compete on and can switch between them. (Dave also rides horses he doesn't own, like Tulip.)

That takes a lot of time and (entry fee/gas) money, and people who are not retired like those two riders simply won't be able to rack up the miles like this. I know I can't... I can only afford one horse and I'm very lucky to be able to compete once a month -- and that is considered pretty active -- but at that rate my horse (already 13 years and on her second career) will probably not make it to the Hall of Fame ;)

There are also two very different "strategies" to approaching Endurance: You can ride fast and go for Top Ten and BC, or you can ride slow and put more miles on your horse. Unfortunately it is very rare to successfully do both with the same horse. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't even think of any high-mileage horse that also top tens...

I personally do enjoy a faster ride, and so does my horse, and we do well with that. I do realize it may shorten our career together but that's the path we're on at the moment. Just like Karen Chaton, I may change my mind and approach a few years down the road and/or when I'm retired in, like, 25 years -- hopefully with a fat bank account, sigh...