PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Selling - Feels Like I'm Gonna Throw Up

xrmn002
Mar. 8, 2011, 06:40 PM
This is a long shot but I am freaking out right now. Just gave my trainer permission to offer up my dressage horse as "for sale" to one of his other clients for a VERY fair price. She has been taking lessons on my horse 1-2 times a week and they click like nothing I've ever seen.

My horse is not for sale otherwise but I thought this may be the right thing to do if she is interested. I have no idea if she's in a position to buy, but my circumstances are not the great right now for my horse. I have on-going medical issues that are preventing me from riding and enjoying him consistently and my trainer who has been keeping him fit and happy has to leave the area to deal with some personal issues for an undetermined amount of time.

I'm not sure what is going to happen or even what I want to happen. I think either way is okay but the possibility that she may accept makes me sick to my stomach!

luchiamae
Mar. 8, 2011, 07:11 PM
I don't have any advice or anything, but I certainly can sympathise with your situation. Horses are not always fun and joy but I hope that either way something good comes out of this for you.

Petstorejunkie
Mar. 8, 2011, 07:25 PM
perhaps a lease is a better option all around. you could also write in a lease to purchase option with a right to back out.

houserabbitz
Mar. 8, 2011, 07:41 PM
I sold my heart horse a couple of years ago when I was pregnant. Really hard to do, and I backed out more than once. It worked out for the best and he went to a great home, but it was very hard. I know how you're feeling.

Somermist
Mar. 8, 2011, 07:43 PM
perhaps a lease is a better option all around. you could also write in a lease to purchase option with a right to back out.

This is a great idea. It might be a easier option for you. Good luck.

manentail
Mar. 8, 2011, 11:55 PM
I cried when I sold my 1st level horse. Have the girl buying him agree to still let you see him and maybe still ride once in a while. That's what my horses new owner did for me.

Wild Rose
Mar. 9, 2011, 12:12 AM
I sold my "baby" a few years ago, and while my situation is uncommonly good for me in that he is still at my stable and I see him everyday, it was very hard on my heart. He was born in my arms and I was his "mother" for his whole life. I sold him because I had rode him in all ways that I could and it was time for him to move on and have a different job. He was 15 when I sold him. Now he is the happiest pony in the world - teaching his new "girl" how to ride.

I sold my horse for his happiness. If you can't offer your athlete a job, perhaps someone else can and that will make him a happy horse.

It's not advice; but rather another way of thinking of it. Good luck with whatever choice you make.:)

horseworld
Mar. 14, 2011, 05:43 PM
I have been going thru something similar myself. I have put my 5yr friesian cross filly up for sale because I didn't/don't have the expertise to get her started right myself (though I do have her in training now) and have other horses that need attention. I look at her and see this horse with "great potential" (when she gets in her gaits - wow) and it just makes me sick to think of giving her up. BUT, if the right person were to come along I would have to ask myself - "what is best for her future?". If she could go to someone who knew what they were doing and/or had access to trainers, etc who do, then maybe it's unfair for me to hang on to her until I'm "ready" to be her rider.

I had horses as a kid and then got out of them for a while. So, this will be my first "baby" to have to make the tough decision to let her go or not. Man, it stinks being an adult! Hang in there and good luck either way!

springer
Mar. 14, 2011, 07:18 PM
Same scenario here... my 4 yr old andalusian "baby" went for training and my dressage trainer & friend ended up falling in love with him. I knew that I couldn't afford, nor did I have the expertise, to move him up the levels, but I still went back and forth about selling him for months before I finally realized it was the best thing for him. It broke my heart to do it; I cried for several months afterwards. But he is doing better than I ever expected and very happy. It was the right decision for him. I do have first right of refusal though.:)

Zugabe
Mar. 14, 2011, 07:22 PM
Know what you're going through. Hang in there. It's never easy. :no:

seabreeze
Mar. 14, 2011, 07:58 PM
Sorry you are going through this. Despite the way it makes you feel, there must be something right about your decision, deep down, that allowed you to even make the offer. I hope it all works out in a way that you can be content with in the end.

kookicat
Mar. 14, 2011, 08:14 PM
Try a lease first. :)

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 14, 2011, 08:26 PM
Same scenario here... my 4 yr old andalusian "baby" went for training and my dressage trainer & friend ended up falling in love with him. I knew that I couldn't afford, nor did I have the expertise, to move him up the levels, but I still went back and forth about selling him for months before I finally realized it was the best thing for him. It broke my heart to do it; I cried for several months afterwards. But he is doing better than I ever expected and very happy. It was the right decision for him. I do have first right of refusal though.:)

I am in a similar situation. I will make a decision this summer. For me, though, at my age, and with retirement looming, there might not be another horse in my future, one that I own anyway. It's difficult to contemplate.

Dry Clean Only
Mar. 14, 2011, 08:45 PM
You wouldn't have decided to make the offer if you didn't know deep down it was the right thing for both of you. We see so often in these times how hard it can be to find a great home for a horse, and as they say a bird in the hand..

I'm sorry your health is interfereing with your riding:(

xrmn002
Mar. 16, 2011, 10:29 PM
Update:

Thanks for all your support! Got a clean scan last week (which is a MAJOR step in me recovering from cancer) so that is good news. I have a ways to go to get healthy and back into riding shape but things are definitely looking up healthwise.

I went back to the barn last week and my horse was SO excited to see me. He's not normally a cuddly guy but he went absolutely bananas- nickering and cuddling and trying to do everything I wanted before I asked. It really got me!

My trainer never said another word about selling him so I finally asked and he told me that he had known better than to offer my boy up for sale at a low point for me. Also, my trainer left town today but has arranged for for someone else to ride my horse while he is away and for me to work on getting fit and strong on two other horses that are older and mellower.

I am pretty relieved for now, although I'm still not sure that I won't be back to selling him at some point if I can't get fit enough or confident enough to ride him again. I may also look into a lease option as many of you suggested.

Galloping Granny
Mar. 17, 2011, 12:14 AM
I am so happy to hear about the clean scan! Don't make any big decisions during a down time - they won't be clearly thought out. It sounds to me like you need your horse more than ever right now, and he needs you too. Your relationship with him is just as important as the riding part. Let him help you heal. I'll be praying for you!

alto
Mar. 17, 2011, 12:44 AM
Excellent news :yes:

netg
Mar. 17, 2011, 01:03 AM
That sounds like great news all around! This thread makes me want to celebrate for you now. :)

I think that the feeling in your gut often lets you know more than your brain does. I was worried that you would sell the horse while having that feeling - I think that when it's right you may feel very sad, but that sick feeling isn't there. I hope you can get a lease or whatever it takes to make the situation work out now, but still get to make things work together in the future.

Here's to continued recovery and improving health, and growing relationships with horses!

Justa Bob
Mar. 17, 2011, 01:50 AM
Got a clean scan last week (which is a MAJOR step in me recovering from cancer) so that is good news.

WOO HOO!!! Huge news!!!!!!!!!

My trainer ..... told me that he had known better than to offer my boy up for sale at a low point for me.

Deeply touching.

Also, my trainer left town today but has arranged for for someone else to ride my horse while he is away and for me to work on getting fit and strong on two other horses that are older and mellower.

Wow....a very professional trainer. Sounds like he has been considerate and supportive.

Congrats on so many fronts. Best wishes for continued good health and getting back to riding.

Trying
Mar. 17, 2011, 09:53 AM
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
It took me a year to get over 3 yrs with 5 surgeries but am riding again and got strong ( ALIVE vitamins helped, Vit D, etc....)
Good luck and you have help so GOFORIT!!!!

ivy62
Mar. 17, 2011, 10:06 AM
sounds like you have a wonderful trainer and a wonderful horse. good luck getting riding fit..congrats on the scan!

AnotherRound
Mar. 17, 2011, 10:19 AM
I went back to the barn last week and my horse was SO excited to see me. He's not normally a cuddly guy but he went absolutely bananas- nickering and cuddling and trying to do everything I wanted before I asked. It really got me!

My trainer never said another word about selling him so I finally asked and he told me that he had known better than to offer my boy up for sale at a low point for me. Also, my trainer left town today but has arranged for for someone else to ride my horse while he is away and for me to work on getting fit and strong on two other horses that are older and mellower.

suggested.

Wow - congratulations, and dang, that's the kind of trainer you want looking out for you and your horse's best interest. I have to say that's the kind of trainer I have - she really knows before I do what's righ/needed for both me and my boy. Nice going. \

I predict you will start to really do well - this is spring, and having those other two horses to ride is really, really, going to bolster your health, tone and riding. A little yoga never hurt, either...:winkgrin:

Have a great spring!

horseworld
Mar. 17, 2011, 12:30 PM
Great news!!!!

princessfluffybritches
Mar. 17, 2011, 02:06 PM
Glad you could keep your horse.
I have my gaited mule for sale, and it breaks my heart but I can't keep up with her and her mother. One thing has made it slightly easier-I'd like first option on a buy-back.