PDA

View Full Version : Wintec dressage saddles: your preference?

katarine
Mar. 8, 2011, 01:58 PM
If your preference is none, why bother answering :) :cool:

I have a Wintec 2000 A/P without CAIR, and it's fine for toodling.

I have an ancient Kiefer Wien similar to this one- deep seat but minimal knee rolls/blocks: http://www.equinehits.com/photos/11/products/31355x1.jpg

The saddle needs reflocking and may not pass the saddler's sniff test through the shoulders, according to my horse's chiropractor. Hmmm..

So, I may be in the market to replace the Wien, maybe.

I rode in my trainer's Wintec 2000 A/P with CAIR last night, and liked the feel of a non suede flap. I am halfway thinking of a Wintec dressage saddle with CAIR, with minimal knee blocks and as little of the equisuede as possible-my horse has a really big walk and I know from my current seude seat that I'll get body sore from being too glued to it.

Suggestions on models to consider, are most welcome.

cu.at.x
Mar. 8, 2011, 04:03 PM
I have an Isabell-with CAIR, of course. I bought it because 1.) it's a decent, well made saddle that puts you in a good position and 2.) I wanted something that could fit multiple horses as I didn't own my own, and when I do it will be convenient to have something that can adjust as their topline develops.

Frankly, I prefer leather saddles, and there are a few in the 2k-3k range that I would definitely rather have if I had the money and had my own horse that was stable in its development. But if you're looking for a low-maintenance, adaptable saddle, the Isabell is it. I tried Wintec's other dressage saddle and I don't like it. It felt like an AP saddle to me.

You said you prefer little equisuede. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me, as I find fullseats TOO constricting and the suede gives me just a little grip) the Isabell is entirely covered in suede. Don't know if this is a dealbreaker or not for you. At least try it, if it doesn't work out you can always buy something else. :)

GreyDes
Mar. 8, 2011, 08:30 PM
I think the 500 is the only model without the equisuede seat. I've had the Pro (older style, w/CAIR) in the past and liked, but didn't love it. I've moved on to a Smith Worthington, and for me, it's a much better balanced saddle.

In general, I've found that people who like the Pro, don't like the Isabell, and vice versa. The Pro is a much shallower seat, with more forward flaps. Isabell is a deep seat, nrrow twist, bigger blocks. The 500 is much closer to the Pro.

FYI - I've ridden in 500s, and they all seem to sqeak where your boot hits the equileather. It drove me nuts! I think I've seen postings with ways to fix it, but heads up.

It's definitely worth sitting in the different models to see what works for you.

Oh, one more thing. The CAIR tends to be a little bouncy, and apparently it doesn't work well for all horses. My Arab never had a problem with it, but I have heard of other people's horses getting sore with CAIR panel, and not having issues w/the same saddle flocked. If you plan to do a lot of sitting trot, you may want to consider getting the flocked version.

kkindley
Mar. 8, 2011, 08:37 PM
I have a 500 and for what I'm doing, I like it. I rode in my friends pro and HATED the suede. Too gluey. I have not had a problem with my boot squeaking on the 500. Mine has CAIR panels. My mare doesn't mind them, but it does fit her perfectly. The v billet system also works quite well for her. For a cheap, but well made saddle, they are nice. I will move up to a nicer saddle one day, but while I'm still paying off my County jump saddle, it's working out quite well for us.

cu.at.x
Mar. 8, 2011, 08:56 PM
Isabell is a deep seat, nrrow twist, bigger blocks.

Are you referring to the optional knee blocks? The saddle itself actually has very small blocks.

manentail
Mar. 8, 2011, 10:48 PM
I own a wintec Isabella also and it is a wonderfully comfortable saddle I bought used because I needed one in a pinch and it was $250.
But my husband has a Greenline that I like better, but it's a $2500 saddle. It has a spring tree but no CAIR.

However, the wintec is stickier and holds you better especially on a young horse. My husband slid right out of his when his TB took off one day.

TBDressage916
Mar. 9, 2011, 09:25 AM
I know I keep singing its praises-but the flatter panels of the wintecs didn't work great for my mare, and the Tekna is awesome. It fits her curvy back better, and I love where it makes me sit, I think its a great alternative to a wintec, and it's wool flocked.

NoDQhere
Mar. 9, 2011, 09:38 AM
Mr. NoDQhere has the 09 Pro with the contour blocks and wool flocking for Dressage. He also has the old Pro and the old AP for baby starting.

He loves the new Pro, and hasn't tried the new Isabel.