PDA

View Full Version : Debbie McDonald's Riding Career is Over?

Velvet
Mar. 8, 2011, 01:45 PM
Did anyone else read the article on DressageDaily about her fall and now the herniated discs in her neck that she believes have now ended her riding career?

What a sucky way to have things end.

alg0181
Mar. 8, 2011, 01:51 PM
Oh no! I have such wonderful memories of her and Brentina. My non-horsey mother absolutely LOVED that pair and we watched them together all the time. How terribly sad.

meaty ogre
Mar. 8, 2011, 02:01 PM
http://www.dressagedaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5973:us-olympian-dressage-rider-debbie-mcdonald-credits-courtney-king-dye-for-surviving-a-bad-fall&catid=381:03-2011

Just linking the article for the google-impaired

Velvet
Mar. 8, 2011, 02:03 PM
http://www.dressagedaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5973:us-olympian-dressage-rider-debbie-mcdonald-credits-courtney-king-dye-for-surviving-a-bad-fall&catid=381:03-2011

Just linking the article for the google-impaired

Dang, you mean you think COTHers can't type dressagedaily.com in the URL string and scroll down to the article? :lol:

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 8, 2011, 03:00 PM
I think taking a bad fall is what led her to switch disciplines way back when.

She's giving a lecture in LA on March 23. Now I'm going.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 8, 2011, 03:04 PM
She said on Saturday that she was done, her neck is damaged, but will get on and play with Brentina every once in awhile going forward. She credits her helmet with saving her life. She said the whole shell had shifted and the base of the arena was mashed into the helmet. She said she is on a mission when it comes to helmets and won't teach someone who isn't wearing one.

FYI, she was FANTASTIC. Probably the most dramatic improvement I have seen in horses in a two day clinic. She was also one of the more "kind to the horses" BNTs I have ever seen.

I really can't say enough good things.

Perfect Pony
Mar. 8, 2011, 03:05 PM
Oh that is terrible. That said, a neck is not something to mess with. I hope she can find relief from her pain and at the very least be able to enjoy riding for pleasure in the future.

PiaffePlease
Mar. 8, 2011, 04:37 PM
I saw that today and was very saddened by it. She is a great role model, esp for short people like me :)

dudders
Mar. 8, 2011, 04:50 PM
She is a great role model, esp for short people like me :)

I second this.

dwblover
Mar. 8, 2011, 05:26 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, but glad she had such an amazing career! She will continue to inspire people with her teaching I am quite sure!!

NorthStar
Mar. 9, 2011, 09:31 AM
If anyone can give a more in depth report of her clinic this weekend in MN (TrotTrotPumpkn?), and how she is as a teacher, I would love to hear it!

ctanner
Mar. 9, 2011, 09:37 AM
Really a sad day.So glad she will be able to continue teaching and having a full life.

ise@ssl
Mar. 9, 2011, 09:47 AM
Bravo for her wearing the helmet and her retirement from riding isn't the end of her life for heaven's sake. She has a family and a tremendous amount of knowledge to share with other riders and trainers.

Life can go on after riding and given the severity of her injuries she is a wise person to make the decision she made.

Velvet
Mar. 9, 2011, 09:50 AM
ise,

No one said she couldn't keep up with teaching/coaching, etc. It sounds like she's sad about it as well. It's not a decision you want forced upon you, when you really love to ride. Why such a drama llama about this?

I think most of us just know how awesome it is to be in the saddle and love riding, and we hope we go the way of the American Cowgirl and if we live to 100---we're still able to climb into the saddle.

monstrpony
Mar. 9, 2011, 09:52 AM
Got to admire her good sense. Hope she will be able to do a little riding for fun, at least.

Foxtrot's
Mar. 9, 2011, 02:24 PM
I'm relatively impaired - thanks for the link!! :) Sometimes I'm just lazy. :D

ise@ssl
Mar. 9, 2011, 03:41 PM
Most of us would want to ride into the older years but certain injuries just change the choices.

SGray
Mar. 9, 2011, 05:30 PM
hope she gets herself to a good orthopedic surgeon -- some microdiscectomy work could do wonders for her

cu.at.x
Mar. 9, 2011, 06:23 PM
I am sad to hear this. Debbie and Brentina were one of my favorite pairs (I know B. was retired long before Debbie's injury.) I'm glad Debbie was wearing a helmet.

Poody
Mar. 9, 2011, 10:35 PM
Sorry to hear this news.. I have known Debbie and Bob a very long time. She is such a buoyant person that she will find the silver lining and go forward in great spirits.
She give awesome lessons and clinics so I suppose now she will have much more time to share her knowledge and perhaps will get into judging as well.

OverandOnward
Mar. 9, 2011, 10:42 PM
So - of the 3 2008 Olympians in the article picture, in the non-jumping discipline of dressage, 2 are down for the count from falls from horses? Kudos to Debbie for continuing her campaign for wearing helmets.

I am so sorry to hear about her not being able to ride. But I sense Debbie is far from out of the picture. She will have even more time to share her talent and her message now. Go Debbie! :)