PDA

View Full Version : helmet help

arabiansrock
Mar. 8, 2011, 01:31 PM
ok, since I fell off Sat (see "fear" thread) I now need a new helmet. I had a Tipperary, and I liked it well enough, can't say I "loved" it, but liked it, and really like the idea of it coming lower in back of head (don't know if that is really more protective or not but it seems like it should be). Am not sure if I should just get hte same or try something different.

Any opinions on just getting a schooling helmet vs getting a more "show' helmet and using it for schooling and show?

Any recommendations on really nice, comfy helmets? I do NOT like the dial fit adjustable types, I want one that is sized, or at least like the tipperary, with no moving adjustment. and Troxels of any type just do not fit me at all.

TIA :cool:
arabsrock (and OTTB's too)

paintlady
Mar. 8, 2011, 02:27 PM
Buy the helmet that fits you best! My best advice is to go to a tack store and try a bunch on.

Tipperaries don't fit me at all. I have a long oval head. Charles Owens fit me nicely, so I'm guessing that they probably won't fit you. Other than that, I don't have any other brand suggestions.

Vented helmets are probably best if you're going to use one helmet for both schooling and show. You could always get a velvet cover for it for shows.

Piaffe11
Mar. 8, 2011, 05:40 PM
I used to ride in a traditional velvet hunt-type helmet and was quite happy with it. I had tried a Troxel type and hated it! A friend of mine offered to sell me her older (i.e. maybe a year or two) GPA Classic and what a difference! Feels so much more secure (especially around the lower head). Totally recommend it - I don't think I'll ever go back :)

Covergirl15
Mar. 8, 2011, 09:57 PM
I also second the going to the tack shop and seeing what fits, and what you like the look of. I used to have a tipperary but then got a charles owen for shows only- but I liked it so much better so I got a new one for shows and use my old one for schooling, just because it got really old. It doesn't really come down that far in the back, but after getting used to it, putting on my old tipperary feels weird coming down so far.

rooroo8
Mar. 8, 2011, 10:09 PM
I just retired my IRH helmet which was great (but 5 years old), but i could not find one in my size anymore (7 5/8) so I went with a CO skullcap (only thing in my size that was in my budget). It is so comfy, wish I had bought one before. I don't show, just ride for fun so I'm not too concerned about how it looks (would not look too stylish at a hunter show I don't think).

The dial fits don't fit my head, either.

Hampton Bay
Mar. 8, 2011, 11:21 PM
Check out some of the IRH models. They make the sized ones in regular or long oval. I have one that I love. Very comfy, and not too hot.

arabiansrock
Mar. 9, 2011, 12:17 AM
Thanks all for the advice. The main problem I have is the local tack shops have very limited selection (and over priced but I am willing to pay that for the customer service).

Charles Owen is just out of my price range since my two kids also need new helmets. But I really do want one for my show helmet so will have to save up for it.

The IRH is the brand that I haven't tried and would like to find in stock to try some on. I kind of wonder if long oval is the shape I need. Any idea how you can tell just by looking at your head?:confused::confused:

paintlady
Mar. 9, 2011, 08:58 AM
The IRH is the brand that I haven't tried and would like to find in stock to try some on. I kind of wonder if long oval is the shape I need. Any idea how you can tell just by looking at your head?:confused::confused:

IRH are also more reasonable than Charles Owen or GPAs. Definitely worth checking out - especially since they come in both regular and oval sizes. IRH has a wide variety of styles too - from inexpensive plastic models to velvet show styles.

The Tipperary pushes against my forehead and back of my head, but I can fit my hand up along each side... good indication to me that my head is oval shaped. I don't have that issue with either the Charles Owen or IRH long oval helmets.

IMO - nothing beats going to a good tack store and trying on a bunch of different brands/styles. Getting what FITS is more important than the logo.