PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Trainer Recommendations near Westport, CT

hvfdressage
Mar. 8, 2011, 12:27 PM
I'll be in CT over the summer and am looking for respectable dressage trainers near Westport, CT. I'll be boarding my horse as well and would prefer to keep her at the trainer's facility.

I'm having a hard time finding trainer listings online so any recommendations are appreciated!!

Feel free to send me a private message.

hvfdressage
Mar. 17, 2011, 12:09 PM
bump!

any information?

AnotherRound
Mar. 17, 2011, 01:32 PM
I don't know alot about Fairfield county, sorry. I would probably check out Fairfield Hunt Club, just because its the one place I had my horse when a kid, for a summer, but I don't know much about them dressage wise. Bettina Drummond is I think in Ridgefield, but I could be really wrong about that. I also don't know what her policies are about boarding. If I had a choice, I would seriously look into Vicki-Hammers O'Niel at Once Again Farms in Meriden, CT, but that is so not Fairfield county, that's on the other side of New Haven, and would proably be a good 45 mins from Westport on a good day. My trainer, Marty Whittle is in Killingworth, a good hour or more from Westport, and there are several other trainers in this area, but we are in the middletown area, not near you at all.

For Westbrook area, there is Mystic Valley and Fox Ledge Farm (Ann Guptil). Just don't know about Westport.

Here is a link to the Connecticut directory, Just Horses in the dressage section. http://www.justhorses.com/45.html

Unfortunately, I don't know many of these people, only because I have been out of horses for so long. I do know the folks at Windhorse International and would board there any day, but don't know their dressage trainer, although they are having a Bettina Drummond clinic next month combined with my trainer (Top Cat Farm, Marty Whittle in Killingworth) and that may say some thing about thier goals...:) They may be wonderful, I don't know. All I know about would be my trainer and Vickie-O'niel, so sorry. Thought the Just Horses may help.

If you don't find the dressage trainer, it may at least help you find a good barn in your area. Go through the other category types with a map in hand, as well.

Then, try equinesite.com

Its a fairly large regional bulletin board, and you can ask the folks on the CT part of the board for recommendations, too. There are listings, but the listings are basically farm name, phone number and address, and don't give much info beyond that.

Good luck. Hope someone else can speak up and help, too.

AnotherRound
Mar. 17, 2011, 01:37 PM
Oh. There might be a couple of smaller but good trainers facilities in Woodbridge and another in Bethany which you could get to in about 1/2 hour on the Merrit Pkwy, if you turn out to be interested in looking in Woodbridge or Bethany, PM me and I will look those contacts for you, if so.

ponymom64
Mar. 17, 2011, 01:56 PM
I think Katya Eilers is in Redding and there is Grey's Friesan Farm in Easton - I think she teaches dressage there as well. Both would be about 30 - 40 minutes drive

Lendon Gray's facility is in Bedford, NY which is not too far from Westport, probably also about 30 - 40 minutes.

Fairfield Hunt Club does not offer dressage and also doesn't offer boarding for non members

hvfdressage
Mar. 28, 2011, 02:59 PM
Thanks everybody for your help! I would love to find a show barn as competing this summer is very important. Any additional info would be great. I'm going to email Lendon to see if she has any availability (fingers crossed!!) or recommendations.

Tha Ridge
Aug. 6, 2013, 01:46 PM
RK, why are you spamming threads that are 2, or even 3, years old?

Kadenz
Aug. 6, 2013, 02:11 PM
Why would anyone think these random, identical posts on EVERY thread about New York, are going to help their business?

Lendon would know better. :winkgrin: