PDA

View Full Version : tie back surgery, cost?

ivy62
Mar. 8, 2011, 09:40 AM
i have a friend who has a lovely colt that was being vetted for purchase as an event horse. lovely horse but they scoped him and said he has a grade 2 from the flap....the buyers vet quoted $2500 to do tie back surgery. is this price about right and how much would something like this effect his performance?
thanks

Hunter's Rest
Mar. 8, 2011, 12:34 PM
I got one for $250-ish by one of the finest vets in the area/region/US/world. Worked perfect. Horse won his next start, 6 weeks later. This was 5 years ago, but, still, shouldn't be that much.

animaldoc
Mar. 8, 2011, 01:28 PM
$2500 is about right for an arytenoid lateralization (tie-back). I would think anywhere from $2000-4000 would be the range in the US. Generally I would think that a horse that was a good candidate for a tie back would have a fair amount of trouble as an event horse. After the surgery is done, they would likely do much better.

Of course, I might try and find an event horse that didn't need a tie-back in the first place, since the procedure isn't 100%, and not without complications.

Hunter's rest - are you sure the $250 was for a tie-back and not an epiglottic entrapment or something? A tie-back takes about 1-1.5h under general anesthesia and uses a synthetic implant or a suture to hold the arytenoid open. I have NEVER heard of this being done for $250 (and I've been doing this longer than 5 years - LOL). An entrapment (or a Lwellyn or something) would be a quick 10 minute procedure and could be done for much cheaper....

Acertainsmile
Mar. 9, 2011, 10:58 AM
Usually the Lwellyn is between $500 and $800 (last time I had one done)... wondering also what was done for $250?

MintHillFarm
Mar. 10, 2011, 10:13 AM
$2500 is about right for an arytenoid lateralization (tie-back). I would think anywhere from $2000-4000 would be the range in the US. Generally I would think that a horse that was a good candidate for a tie back would have a fair amount of trouble as an event horse. After the surgery is done, they would likely do much better.

Of course, I might try and find an event horse that didn't need a tie-back in the first place, since the procedure isn't 100%, and not without complications.

Hunter's rest - are you sure the $250 was for a tie-back and not an epiglottic entrapment or something? A tie-back takes about 1-1.5h under general anesthesia and uses a synthetic implant or a suture to hold the arytenoid open. I have NEVER heard of this being done for $250 (and I've been doing this longer than 5 years - LOL). An entrapment (or a Lwellyn or something) would be a quick 10 minute procedure and could be done for much cheaper....

Wow, that does sound really inexpensive! I was told $2200-2500 at Cornell several years ago. My horse ended up with a Vocalcordectomy and that was about 1/2 that amount.

stolen virtue
Mar. 10, 2011, 03:40 PM
I am curious, why not have tie forward surgery ? I had to look into it recently and the vet surgeon I spoke with said that it was a much better option and that his facility did not see any problems with the horses they had performed this surgery on. I know it is fairly new, sorry I don't mean to hyjack this post but I thought I would bring it up.

Hunter's Rest
Mar. 10, 2011, 06:55 PM
You guys are probably correct - it was a standing surgery, in the vet's barn. Tranq'ed the horse, tied his leadrope over the header over the stall front. Went to work. Hell, I don't know recall what he did. (It's been 5 years). All I know is the horse entrapped/made a noise before. Didn't after.