View Full Version : Courbette saddle--Anyone know what model?

Mar. 7, 2011, 10:35 PM
I'm looking for a dressage saddle and came across this one:


It's a Courbette, 17.5", leather. Looks Swiss made?

Basically it's really really cheap, my/horse's size, and I don't want to pass it up if it's a quality saddle. I don't mind that it's a little beat up. Just wondering if anyone recognizes what model this is, and has an opinion on it. I have heard different things about the Courbettes that seem to vary with model.


Mar. 8, 2011, 12:48 AM
Wool-flocked Courbette's have hard panels (this is done for off the rack saddles primarily b/c you never need it adjusted. And it's hard to adjust the flocking anyway- no room as the panels don't have any space), and they rather curved trees. Very similar to lots of Stubbens. The gullets and actual tree structure (front to back) are not that wide, so depending on your horse, it might or might not work. If your horse has a flat back, you might have rocking issues, which can't be easily remedied with this particular saddle. If your horse has a low wither and is kind of "barrle shaped", this will probably make him sore at the trapezius muscles. So in other words, a medium to higher withered horse, slightly curved back, with a narrow spinal column could possible do ok with this. However, if you get it, you should have a saddle fitter check it. Hope this helps!

Mar. 8, 2011, 01:04 AM
This would be for a high withered TB gelding. Was this one German made then? I have heard the wool-flocked models are preferable to the foam Swiss ones. I would of course have the fit checked before using. It's for sale for $100...Which I think is a steal. Thanks for the info...guess for the price I'll just get it and see how it works out!

Mar. 8, 2011, 07:19 AM
looks like an older Trenck D special to me, special because it has the little foamy triangle at the back of the thigh just under the jockey. I think its german made, which iirc is preferable over their swiss lines.

as was said, they do fit a lot like stubbens, curvy and best on horses with at least some wither. They do tend to have a more narrow channel.

For your TB, you may or may not find that the back panels make contact with his back, depending on how curvy he is, I've seen TBs to almost every back shape imaginable so anything goes.

This one does appear to be wool flocked by the look of the panel peeking out in back. As far as hard panels, I don't notice older Courbettes any worse than stubbens, or kieffers or passiers of the same age. Their flocking materials may not be the greatest, but its on par with what everyone else was using at the time.

The saddle is a bargain at $100, however, do inspect it before handing the $$ over, make sure the tree is straight & sound and the billets in good shape, and the panels not grossly lopsided.

congrats on your find!

Mar. 8, 2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks buck. I spent hours googling various Courbette model names to try to figure out what this is. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a cheapie, a Magic especially, as I have heard bad things about those. It is really hard to know, though, because there are so few good photos of old saddles online.

I will definitely inspect it thoroughly, I have a feeling that the person who is selling it maybe doesn't know much about English saddles. Which is a blessing and a curse, because the price is low, but I have to be extra cautious that the measurements were done correctly, etc. Luckily the seller lives very close by.

Thanks for the help!!

Mar. 8, 2011, 01:44 PM
I bought it today. It is in really good condition considering its age. The seller wanted it gone because she was moving. Even gave me a pad. I feel good about it because I know I can get the money back if it doesn't work out.

It is a Felsbach. Swiss made but with wool-flocked panels. Just in case anyone out there on the internets ever needs to ID this model in the future!

Mar. 8, 2011, 02:47 PM
cool congrats on your find!