PDA

View Full Version : Wobble Trot

EasyStreet
Mar. 7, 2011, 01:51 PM
Has anyone ever ridden a horse that has a side to side rolling movement in thier trot? I saw a video of a horse for sale that has this trot and I did once before see a comfirmed third level horse with this same trot. It really shifts your hips side to side in a higher/lower movement. Both horses seemed Very easy to sit trot. I don't know if it coincidence or not, but both horses I have seen with this perticular trot are BIG boned. Is this sort of lateral rolling trot undesirable?? Would it lower trot scores?? Could it possibly promote unsoundnes?? In other words...would this be a "Deal Breaker" for you?...if so why?? Thanks in advance!

Samigator
Mar. 7, 2011, 02:26 PM
is it just how the rider is sitting the trot? when I used to ride western pleasure, I would let my hips go side to side with each stride in the trot. In a view from the side (where the judge stands), it looks extremely smooth and flowing as instead of taking the up-down bounce that the judge can see, you disguise that bounce some by allowing your seat to rock side to side.

I don't think it would be a deal breaker for me- not that I'm an expert by any stretch, but to me that would probably help me to be more aware of which of my horses legs are moving when.

a video would probably help though, as perhaps the horse is not developed properly to carry his weight on one leg (like a person who stands on one leg and lets their pelvis sink away- weak glutes). ??

EasyStreet
Mar. 7, 2011, 02:40 PM
Sam,I do not think it is the riders. From head on in the video..the horse really seems to roll back and forth from side to side like a boat in a ripple of low wake waves. I will see if I can get a clip of the horse in ?

EasyStreet
Mar. 7, 2011, 03:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88aTLXQYmoM Here is the Youtube of the horse for sale. The other horse I mentioned in the op, the 3rd level horse, was on the video of the USDF"S 2006 "On The Levels" volumeII.

ThreeFigs
Mar. 7, 2011, 03:24 PM
Awwww, Freddie's cute! I love his face and his kind eye. He looks like a sweet, happy guy.

The rider is crooked and definitely has a torque in her posting trot. Watch her also in the left canter from behind. I had to stop watching -- painful for me. Freddie paddles a bit, though I don't call that a dealbreaker, either. He looks long-backed, but I have a couple of long-backed horses myself. Some advantages, some disadvantages.

I've ridden some of these "rollers" -- the last one was a Friesian. I find them kinda comfy to ride, although that Friesian also had a LOT of up & down, too. I think the side-to-side indicates a relaxed, swingy mover.

merrygoround
Mar. 7, 2011, 03:37 PM
Freddie is wide through the chest. this is what create that rolling stride.'''

He is also very long in his back.

And, No! his rider doesn't help except to show he's cute and tolerant. ;)

Samigator
Mar. 7, 2011, 06:58 PM
Sam,I do not think it is the riders. From head on in the video..the horse really seems to roll back and forth from side to side like a boat in a ripple of low wake waves. I will see if I can get a clip of the horse in ?

yes you're right, now that I see the video, it definitely is not the rider. I was thinking you were seeing the rider bounce from side to side while sitting the trot. I think that is how he is built that causes that. I used to show a big paint horse that moved a little bit like that behind. Some judges loved how he moved because he was springy- springier than this horse, and some penalized it. That is in the halter ring though. I guess it all depends on what your purpose would be for the horse. He does paddle a little bit in front, but my horse does too, when you watch him coming straight toward the video, I think the paddling accents the hind end swinging, so it looks worse than it really is.

Swing
Mar. 7, 2011, 07:12 PM
Freddy looks footsore to me :( Lovely horse with a good attitude, despite his rider bumping around

MelantheLLC
Mar. 7, 2011, 07:23 PM
Freddy looks sore to me too, and possibly off behind. I would guess the soreness might be in the stifles or SI joint, but just a guess. To me, he seems to "waddle" behind, which might create the sensation you mention.

tarragon
Mar. 7, 2011, 07:27 PM
It looks like he's pretty crooked too, really carrying his hindquarters to the left. Even when on the right rein his body is curved to the left.
That would definitely throw a rider to one side.

Petstorejunkie
Mar. 7, 2011, 07:35 PM
I call it 'trotting in two different zipcodes' and it's a common thing I find myself fixing on horses that need work on straightness, coming through their body, and accepting contact. I've repaired it numerous times.

ThreeFigs
Mar. 7, 2011, 08:28 PM
So, he's "adoptable"? Has the rescue (or whatever it is...) disclosed any health or soundness issues?

mackandblues
Mar. 7, 2011, 08:40 PM
No expert but he looks a bit tight from behind (maybe cause he's strung out?) and definetly "paddles". But looks very cute and tolerant!

EasyStreet
Mar. 8, 2011, 09:02 PM
I'm starting to look for a horse for myself that will only need to be suitable for lower level dressage. I thought Freddy was so cute and his disposition seems great..I am not bothered by the paddleing but I did think he looked to be somewhat restricted in the shoulder..not much range of motion. I just didn't know if that rolling was a "Don't Go There" for dressage, cause like I said..I just don't see it very often in horses. I almost apears to me that instead of reaching the front leg straight forward,that the hoof gets placed midline on the ground and then the next front inspite of the paddle/wing gets placed in the same track as the other front because of the lateral rolling...sorta that model runway walk thing...one foot in front of the other. The rescue has not diclosed any lameness in his copy..but I have just started to look and he was one that caught my eye but wasn't sure about that trot?!?! Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences!!

MelantheLLC
Mar. 8, 2011, 09:07 PM
What's his walk like? Is it a pure 4 beat, with a nice clear V, or does he go lateral at all? Does he ever knuckle under a hoof in a downward transition?

EasyStreet
Mar. 8, 2011, 09:20 PM
The video shows very little of the walk as I think they are trying to market him as a Hunter/Jumper...I know there are plenty of horses out there that would be better suited to dressage and to me..5' 4", thick thighs... He is just so sweet looking and sure seems to have the disposition I am looking for!

MelantheLLC
Mar. 8, 2011, 09:35 PM
Not really thinking of the show issues, but more about his soundness. Just from the video alone, this is a horse I personally would thoroughly vet, even if he was free or a rescue, before taking him home, unless I was prepared to give him a home no matter what.

There are some issues--and note that I'm NOT saying he has them, this video is not enough to tell--but SI, stifle and neurological issues, that would be deal breakers for me. He just seems a little funky behind to me. If you ride him and love him, just be have him thoroughly checked out, and tell the vet what it is about his movement that concerns you.

He does look like a sweet boy.