PDA

View Full Version : Dressage saddle makes shoulder "clump"?

LaLuna
Mar. 7, 2011, 01:21 PM
I have a Wintec Dressage saddle (not sure which one, I think it's the pro? I got it for nothing at a thrift store) and I use it on my TB (never raced, she was bred for jumping). It makes her shoulder muscle kind of clump when she moves her leg back. It's definitely not limiting her motion, and it doesn't seem to be bugging her at all, it just doesn't look comfortable. Is that normal with Wintecs? or Thoroughbreds for that matter.. She only has this problem with her dressage saddle.

The fit is AMAZING on her back (lots of wither clearance), it was the only saddle that would fit her when I was rehabbing her a year ago. I made the gullet one size bigger, and it helped some with the shoulder and it still fits her back really well. Is there anything I could do to make the "clumping" stop? I don't know if a riser pad would help? It has been looked at by a few people and they all said it was fine. I don't ride in it every day, it's my dressage schooling show saddle (like twice a year). I'm starting to think she's just not built for a dressage saddle. :mad:

netg
Mar. 7, 2011, 02:16 PM
I don't know that I understand exactly what you mean. Pictures or video would help.

Just by guessing without fully understanding, I'm thinking your saddle may be too far forward - and if it fits perfectly there, may not fit if you were to move it back to the correct placement (though that isn't always the case.)

KateWooten
Mar. 7, 2011, 02:27 PM
I"d get a good local saddlefitter out to check if I were you. The Wintec Isabell really can fit a TB-type very well, as I have found out recently. I used to be a complete snob about them ! The Wintec Pro I am less fond of. Lots of different things might be going on here, starting with placement, sure, but you need to check the curve of the tree, width obviously, rock, even yaw ! You need someone on the ground to do the static checks and then watch the ridden test - that's where it all happens. If the balance is good already, then adding a riser pad will make the saddle too narrow, and pitch up at the front. Adding a bump pad at the back to balance out too narrow a saddle is dreadful - don't do that. Adding an extra layer to fill in atrophied or under-developed muscle behind the wither, to provide extra support at the front is an essential fitting task for some horses ... without seeing and doing all the tests and checks, nobody can really say what's causing this and what the cure would be.

sadlmakr
Mar. 7, 2011, 02:36 PM
I agree with the above post. You need a good saddle fitter to check it out.
You might have it tacked up too far forward. Use the front most billet and the second from the front...
That is a great saddle and I hope you get it to fit well.
The point of the tree should be behind the shoulder blade. I like to see 2 fingers width between the point of the tree and the scapula . It might be what is needed. But try it out and also see if you can find a good saddle fitter.
Wish you the best in finding the answer to the problem.
Regards, sadlmakr