View Full Version : Rode in rain, how to get black saddle color out of white dressage pants

Mar. 7, 2011, 01:21 PM
Poured rain during a show. Now the Irideon white breeches have black stains from the saddle. I've washed them once and the black did not come out. Any suggestions about a laundry treatment? Thanks!

Mar. 7, 2011, 01:59 PM
and you can ask for a new pair.
Other than that, the only thing I've found for those types of stains that actually works somewhat, depending on stain and fabric is a mixture of really good carpet cleaner, like the oxy stuff for pet stains and dawn dish soap. Spray, glob, brush, cuss, repeat, wash and pray.

Then buy a new pair.

Mar. 7, 2011, 02:13 PM
Haha were you at the CT on the 6th? I heard it was a monsoon out there for the dressage tests! Glad my horse wasn't in shape enough to go ;)

Oxy Clean (pet stains is the strongest, like said above) works really well for my light pale breeches, with a bit of bleach. If the breaches are all white, you might be able to bleach them out?

I got a decent pair of full seat breeches for cheap at Dover.

Mar. 7, 2011, 02:17 PM
You might also try the Rit "color remover" in the fabric dye section (most grocery stores or WalMart have it). It's been a while since I used it (and it very well might be the same as the Oxy, I don't know) but I did have good luck getting rainy ride dye out of breeches with it 10 years ago or so.

Mar. 7, 2011, 02:21 PM
Those stained britches are your designated rain britches!

Mar. 7, 2011, 02:55 PM
Well, shoot! I was hoping for a miracle solution! If anything works, I'll post back in hopes it'll help someone else.

Mar. 7, 2011, 05:49 PM
You know, the good news is that no one can probably see the black as long as you're in the saddle, so I just wouldn't worry about it.

I was showing in a brown saddle last year, and brown stains have even worse connotations... ;)

Mar. 7, 2011, 07:10 PM
I use Spray and Wash Resolve and then detergent. I scrub them by hand with a plastic curry comb.

Mar. 7, 2011, 10:58 PM
Once you have washed them the stain is probably set.
When this happens you need to take it to the dry cleaners to use their solvents to remove the black stains before you wash them. But once you wash and dry it , most likely you will not get it out. You can try it with the above mentioned but I doubt it will work.
The black dye is usually a denatured alchohol base. You might be able to cut it with alchohol.
But I don't think it will help.
You might be able to have them dyed black. Looks like new white britches are on you want list.
Regards, sadlmakr

Mar. 9, 2011, 01:51 PM
I tried everything and the stains have somewhat faded but still there. My last resort is the dry cleaner's. Thanks everyone!

Mar. 9, 2011, 02:10 PM
I have iridieon white show breeches and I have used bleach and washed them in hot water and the stains came out. The bleach did not casue any problems.