PDA

View Full Version : Discovered that BIG trot, but how to keep it?

Swing
Mar. 6, 2011, 10:58 PM
Okay like the heading says I have discovered that BIg swingy trot in my young horse...and it feel awesome:)

BUT How on earth to I keep that big forward trot in the corners and shortside of my arena....I can keep it in legyeild:cool: but we lose it in tricky areas.

Also now we have discovered it, my forward thinking horse wants to go a bit too fast in it...how do I sustain it in a stady rhythm. It feals like we are tearing around, but my instructor (who is awesome) says it is our working trot and not to accept any less. It is great to sit too, as it just swings along.
Anyway help! lol

Swing
Mar. 7, 2011, 02:31 AM
71 views and no comments?

Valentina_32926
Mar. 7, 2011, 08:52 AM
The best way to maintain a steady rhythm is to POST the trot. The rider posts to the rhythm desired and the horse will (eventually) match that rhythm.

In corners and during lateral movements, since the horse is stepping underneath itself, the steps can get slower and thus seem shorter when in actuality they are not. All I can say (without seeing you ride) is make certain you're not "holding" the horse when executing those movements.

It's the riders fault to lose those larger strides.

Leena
Mar. 7, 2011, 09:55 AM
A young horse will always have a hard time, depending on his fitness to sustain the big trot.
I really like Valentina's comment to POST the trot since it is the thing to do until you horse is capable to match it.

Corners are tricky for the rider; watch to see if you are following your horse and not blocking your elbows.

Also if you horse speed up..he is out of balance, out of his gait, this is where you need to accept more weight in your hands, look for rythm and learn to use your body weight and your legs to help him.

Good luck and take it step by step..

mickeydoodle
Mar. 7, 2011, 10:16 AM
In the corners, use a half halt (as strong as needed) to rebalance the big trot, think of activating the hind legs and not slowing, just having him step under. On the short side do a shoulder-in or shoulder-fore, again thinking quicker but shorter hind legs. Out of the second corner on the short side use the new balance to swing along more uphill and longer.

Swing
Mar. 7, 2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks for your answers guys!

I feel like he is swinging BUT I want to be able to keep that swing in the corners without losing the trot...and when we do get the big trot he is trying to go bigger! lol

I like your suggestion of shoulderfore on the longside....is this just gonna get time to develop? or is it me as a rider? at the moment we find a sweet spot and then lose it. I have another lesson this weekend and mght try and get a friend to video!