PDA

View Full Version : Saddle sliding forward

dogponyshow
Mar. 5, 2011, 10:33 PM
I'm posting for a friend that has a cute Friesian. Her saddle has been sliding forward lately. She has a saddle she bought from Black Stirling Friesians, when she bought the horse. Any suggestions? Thanks!

alibi_18
Mar. 5, 2011, 10:58 PM
Have a saddle fitter come and check the horse and the saddle as it obviously doesn't fit!

2tempe
Mar. 5, 2011, 11:17 PM
Dont know if this is applicable, but I have a WB mare who had this problem; she has a "forward girth groove" which causes the saddle to move even when properly fitted. Solved by adding a non-slip pad (like Barnsby sells) and an anatomical girth such as the County Logic, Prestige or one or two others. The anatomical girth sits in the girth groove on the underside of the belly while aligning the billets and girth buckles appropriately. My mare is big in the shoulder and also built so her belly's narrowest part is near the elbows.
Start w/ the fitter and keep the above in mind...

Hampton Bay
Mar. 6, 2011, 05:20 AM
Mine slips forward on my arab when it needs the flocking adjusted so that more is up front and less in the middle. When recently adjusted, it sits perfectly. Foam panels work better than wool for this issue IMO, as the wool usually shifts within a few months even when the panels fit pretty well. I'm betting your horse has a pretty flat back, and if you put the saddle on him and tickle his belly a bit, it will come up in front and back (rock).

Callaway
Mar. 6, 2011, 07:41 AM
The saddle always slips forward when I ride a wide horse with not very developed withers. It usually is on a young horse, like a 3 year old, but it has happened on Friesians as well. I got a "bumper pad" from France, with is a pad that has blocks that go under the pommel and in front of the thigh blocks. It doesn't completely stop the problem, but it helps quite a bit. Before I started using the pad, I had to constantly dismount, ungirth the saddle, slide it back, re girth, re mount. It was a real pain!

Eclectic Horseman
Mar. 7, 2011, 11:28 AM
Make sure the saddle fits. But if it does and you are just riding a butt high youngster with no wither, then use a crupper. Works like a charm.

FatDinah
Mar. 7, 2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, but lunge that youngster the first time you put on a crupper!

Or you might be the one sliding forward - like right over their ears with a big buck.

dogponyshow
Mar. 7, 2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the replies, the horse is not a youngster, he's about 13.

joiedevie99
Mar. 7, 2011, 04:30 PM
1. Have a saddle fitter look at it, and either adjust the tree or adjust the flocking (or both) if the general shape is still appropraite for the hosre. If it's not, start shopping.

2. If the billets of the saddle don't sit over the girth groove (after the adjustment), order a contoured girth.

3. If you still have a problem, you can add a non-slip pad or a crupper as a temporary fix, but you need to get to the bottom of the problem. Either the saddle is wrong for the horse, the horse is underdeveloped in the withers and needs consistent correct riding, or the horse has some lameness issue that causes the saddle to shift.