PDA

View Full Version : Breeches and Knee Rubs

EqTrainer
Mar. 4, 2011, 02:06 PM
Over the last six months I've lost a lot of weight (unintended and unnecessary) and none of my breeches fit the same. When I started riding again I found that only my summer tights really fit at all and even those are loose in the knee area and giving me rubs.

Now, I have pretty bony knees, and sensitive skin and have always been prone to rubs. But this seems ridiculous! Can you actually lose weight in your knee area? And the real question is, what should i do? Buy some new breeches in smaller sizes to tide me over until I (hopefully) gain it back? Last question - I have many breeches with real leather seats/extended knee patches, does anyone reliably alter breeches or reuse the leather?

So many questions on such an odd subject :confused:

jen-s
Mar. 4, 2011, 02:13 PM
Equissentials will recycle the leather into new breeches, but I'm not sure about leather that they didn't originally create into breeches (that reads awful, but I hope it makes sense. http://www.equissentials.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/equissentials-leather-recycling-order-form.pdf That's a link from their website but doesn't provide much actual info.

I'll be very interested in the responses to this from people with far more breech-IQ points than me. ;)

Velvet
Mar. 4, 2011, 02:15 PM
Best solution is probably to go with fake patches, and softer ones. I've had similar issues over the years for various reasons (full seats that stopped short and don't go down the whole leg--and the bottom rubs in the boots, or knee patches that just bunch). Best thing is the soft fake full seats.

merrygoround
Mar. 4, 2011, 02:15 PM
Sports shops carry a product called "BodyGlide". It comes in a stick like a deodorant, and you just rub it on the affected area.

Years ago I used to rub my knees, more from bad leg usage I think, it certainly wasn't loose breeches. Bodyglide worked. Then I fixed my leg.

I have since used it for girth rubs, and I know of one Triathlete who uses it for various chafes and rubs.

Eclectic Horseman
Mar. 4, 2011, 02:22 PM
I have found that certain combinations of breeches and saddles give me rubs. What seems to cause it is where the seam of the breeches lies across the side of the knee and whether the knee roll meets it. So losing weight might in fact cause the seam to lie in a different place on your knee.

I really think that all you can do is to find a certain brand of breeches that works with your saddle and stick to them. Or change your saddle. I had one or two clients' saddles with big knee rolls that I couldn't wear most of my breeches while schooling in or it would tear the skin right off the bone on the side of my knees. :eek:

atr
Mar. 4, 2011, 02:27 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Velvet--the real leather ones have to fit so darned perfectly or they bunch and rub in all sorts of unintended places.

So I'd vote for buy some cheapies and enjoy putting the weight back on...

Alternatively, I'd try getting someone to alter a pair of your old ones for you and see how they work--if they take the bulk out of the outside seam, it might well work.

meaty ogre
Mar. 4, 2011, 02:46 PM
I contacted Equissentials about recycling a pair and was shocked at how much they charge. It seemed more economical to look for a sale. I think you'd be better off finding a good seamstress than having them repurpose the patches.

EqT, I certainly don't share your build, but I have found that breeches, whether they are leather or synthetic, work best for me if the leather/clarino is NOT directly on the skin. A lot of manufacturers are doing the inset seats (probably to save fabric) but for the most part, those are the ones that tend to bother me. I prefer an overlaid seat, where it's sewn onto the outside of the fabric. I hope that makes sense.

Boink makes nice tights, with the bending seam over the knee, and they tend to fit well and not sag, bag or bunch anywhere, at least for me. They have lots of styles on sale, and also usually have coupons for additional $ or % off, so that may be a cheaper option to tide you over. If you are really small, they're even cheaper, so you may be in good luck there.

Piaffe11
Mar. 4, 2011, 02:47 PM
... buy some cheapies and enjoy putting the weight back on...

This :yes:

ArabDiva
Mar. 4, 2011, 03:02 PM
I'm with the people who say buy a pair of cheap ones.

Or, could you wear nylons and/or bodyglide under your breeches? that would prevent chafe I would think.

SevenDogs
Mar. 4, 2011, 03:03 PM
I had this issue, which was solved by going to more expensive breeches (Pikeur and Schumacher) where the seams appeared to be finished better.

However, since you didn't have the issue at your normal weight and you plan to gain the weight back, I don't think switching brands is necessary.

If you think you are going to be able to get back to your normal weight fairly quickly and don't want to invest in new pants (even cheapies), you can wear pantyhose underneath. That was how I solved "rubs" before I found the breeches that didn't do that.

... and yes, you most definitely gain/lose weight in your knees. Unfortunately, I have "fat boots" and "skinny boots" the way that "normal people" have jeans! :)

Velvet
Mar. 4, 2011, 03:04 PM
Meaty,

Funny, I hate having extra fabric on the inside. I only buy the inset ones. I think there's a better feel and it moves less. With leather, of course, there's still a risk on the seems rubbing on the top inside of your boots--if they fit well and are tight, but your breeches bunch a tad.

Once again, fake seats are best for your knees! :yes:

Bogey2
Mar. 4, 2011, 05:30 PM
I hope you feel better and get some wight back on! In the meantime I say buy some chespies as well. I can't ride in loose breeches for the same reason, the rubs are awful to deal with.

EqTrainer
Mar. 4, 2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the well wishes :) COTH is the best! I am feeling good and riding regularly, which is of course the best medicine.

Some really great ideas here.

I am assuming REI will have some sort of body glide? Can get by there over the weekend and grab some.

I looked closely at how the knee was moving when I bent my leg before I changed this afternoon, it is definately shifting to the inside, so the leather is rotating in too far. I think that between this and the loose material, my knees are doomed :lol: so I am going to have a friend who is a seamstress alter one pair and see how it goes. She also rides so will understand what I am talking about :)

Cheap breeches... I wear mostly Boink tights in the summer here for schooling and have never had this problem in them. But the pair I wore yesterday rubbed (and I nearly froze but that will cure itself soon, since its spring here, yeah!!!) so I am at a loss. Any ideas or recommendations on brands and styles? I am usually a 28 or 30 long, am probably a 26 now. Prefer low(wr) rises as I am short waisted but nothing toooo short of course!

Thanks so much, such a silly problem but wow, rubs sure do hurt... My wisdom to share is that the Bandaid blister bubbles with a Nexcel waterproof over it work pretty good!

Petstorejunkie
Mar. 4, 2011, 11:35 PM
I learned this from my trainer
Moleskin (http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/productSearch.do?method=doProductDetailsLookup&searchArg=84) cut and stuck in the right places offers fantastic protection from rubs.
I went through a phase while we were correcting my pelvic balance that I got terrible sores on muh butt right under my seat bones. Moleskin allowed me to keep riding without literally riding my ass off :lol:

When she evented, she had moleskin patches on her shin, ankle, knees, and a weird spot on her thighs. Would not run a course without it!

it will stay on a few days, but does soak up moisture, so make sure you pat it dry well when you get out of the shower.

oh, and yes you can gain and lose weight in your knees. when i was 90lbs heavier, i had terrible stretch marks on the sides of my knees.

GimmeQs
Mar. 5, 2011, 05:17 AM
I got knee rubs for a month long period once, seemingly totally out of the blue. I alternated gettings rubs and letting them heal by wrapping vet wrap around my knees under my breeches ~ my plan had been to let the skin toughen up or whatever (not so pretty, but riding comes first!).
I also "borrowed" a lot of skin care products from work....

akrogirl
Mar. 5, 2011, 08:32 AM
This is one of the many reasons I love my FiTS breeches. They are super soft and comfortable, and adjust to quite a range of weight gain or loss.

trixie10
Mar. 5, 2011, 04:15 PM
EqTrainer,

Yes, moleskin and those large water-proof fabric bandaides on the knees! I've used them for the same issue (weightless after shoulder surgery).

After I rode for a bit the problem resolved itself.

kcmel
Mar. 5, 2011, 04:38 PM
What about these?

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Equestrian_Leggins_p/0288.htm

They are worn by exercise riders to prevent rubs. Mr KC wears them because he is sooooo sensitive :lol:.

Leena
Mar. 6, 2011, 03:56 PM
EQ, I really hope you are feeling well...I don't like reading my friend is loosing weight for unknown reasons...

You should come in Montreal, they sell breeches at P├ępin saddle shop for 25$ can a pair, full seat..

Hugs xxx

Oberon13
Mar. 7, 2011, 09:58 AM
I hope you're feeling better soon!

I just wanted to second the moleskin suggestions. Years of hiking, cross country skiing and mountain biking have taught me the invaluable lesson of always having moleskin around. I also had friends who were ballerinas who religiously wore the stuff on their poor, abused toes.

It's quick, cheap and easy!

LarkspurCO
Mar. 7, 2011, 10:05 AM
Or this?

http://www.kneeshop.com/proddetail.asp?prod=79-8019X&cat=10

dfsaz
Mar. 7, 2011, 10:09 AM
You could try A&D ointment which is sold for diaper rash (don't get the zinc oxide one). This has worked for me for years. I've used Body Glide as well.

ridealot
Mar. 9, 2011, 01:28 PM
Put moleskin on the area that is getting rubbed on your knee under your breeches. We used it all the time for runners who would get blisters. It stickes and does not move. We use to buy it at the drugstore or Walmart.