PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite girth?

Bugs-n-Frodo
Mar. 3, 2011, 04:15 PM
Looking for the ins and outs. What is your favorite girth for the fit, the money and the looks. I want the down and dirty. This has to be right, Frodo deserves the best that I can get for him and I am on a steep budget, so I am deal hunting.

kcmel
Mar. 3, 2011, 04:20 PM
I found a laser girth used at a tack consignment store recently for $25.

http://www.laserequestrian.com/?p=21

It is by far the nicest girth I have ever seen/felt. I just want to lay around and wallow in it :lol:.

Flap15
Mar. 3, 2011, 06:43 PM
Definitely not cheap, but I love my Prestige Anatomic girth. The leather is lovely, it has nice cushioning and will hopefully last a long time if I take care of it properly! Knowing that I will get many years of use out of good quality tack makes the initial investment a little easier to swallow.

I always keep my eyes on eBay and other classified sites as well- you never know what kind of deal you might find!

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Mar. 3, 2011, 07:04 PM
Definitely not cheap, but I love my Prestige Anatomic girth.

Yup, me too. :) My girl is happy as a clam with this girth, no attitude when tacking up, saddle sits super stable, no rubs. And it's pretty! :D

easyrider
Mar. 3, 2011, 07:24 PM
I adore the EAS wide belly girth: http://www.eurosaddlery.com/products2.CFM?id=54. Some horses have special considerations that make other girths more suitable, but I really like how soft this girth is, and it has held up beautifully through the years.

cuatx55
Mar. 3, 2011, 07:36 PM
I got a Buccas cotton girth on ebay WITH shipping for a total of 10 dollars. Its great!

I also really like the smart pack fleece girth, 27 dollars. Both don't slip or rub. I personally don't like leather girths, its just a preference. Wintec was allright, just allright, but I like the fleece and cotton varities better, they don't slip as much. I would use one if I HAD to.

2tempe
Mar. 3, 2011, 08:55 PM
side question here: my horse needs an anatomical girth - like the prestige discussed above. Does ANYONE know if it possible to buy one of these that is not leather? I have a preference for synthetic on girths; but will buy a leather one if need be....

horsefaerie
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:04 PM
I have the Passier all elastic girths that most horses seem to like. Pricey unless you can find a deal.

I also like the Wintec elastic girth and so do a number of horses. Easy to clean but honestly I don't know where they hide the elastic!

inca
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:46 PM
I just bought a Classic Equine Soft Touch girth (on clearance for $25 at VTO Saddlery) and used it for the first time today. So far, my horse seems happy with it. And I have a big problem with the saddle slipping forward on her and it didn't during my clinic ride today.

bthatasitmay
Mar. 4, 2011, 01:08 AM
Passier elastic girth here as well. The only girth that does not cause girth sores on my mare. I also use a girth sock with it. I have had it now for several years.

horsegalriding
Mar. 4, 2011, 10:49 AM
Another vote for Passier elastic girth. I think the horse breaths better.

Calhoun
Mar. 4, 2011, 11:37 AM
Ovation Airform dressage girth, no leather to clean, just a sponge, cheap. My mare loves it.

Dressage_Julie
Mar. 4, 2011, 12:18 PM
Scheelse 8" Wide Contoured Dressage Girth

I have one and love it, I bought it barely used off Craigslist for half price... you can find them for good deals if you put about 10 minutes into the internet search.

KatherineC
Mar. 4, 2011, 12:32 PM
Red Barn. It is soft and buttery.

CatPS
Mar. 4, 2011, 03:24 PM
I love the cloth/fleece equalizer girths that Dover sells for about $30. Never had a single rub with them ever and the elastic on both sides makes it easier to tighten up on a girthy horse without irritating them. Also makes it easier to tighten while mounted. Haven't had any problems with slipping, though I can imagine how a more structured girth might be desirable on horses that conformationally are prone to that. I also like that the fleece part comes up above the roller buckles so you don't see the bare billets hanging down between the flap and the top of the girth... just my aesthetic preference, though.

Mosey_2003
Mar. 4, 2011, 03:31 PM
I really like the Thorowgood Aeroform girth, much better than Wintec types in my experience.

leilatigress
Mar. 4, 2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation-airform-dressage-girth/p/X1-02193/cn/4674/

For the portly arab this girth works wonders. I LOVE Neoprene girths, wash them with the hose and your done! They don't chafe, travel or pinch either and they are usually less than $50.

Vesper Sparrow
Mar. 4, 2011, 04:09 PM
I really like the Thorowgood Aeroform girth, much better than Wintec types in my experience.

Yes, I have both and prefer the Thorowgood.

raff
Mar. 5, 2011, 05:13 AM
Christ lambskin http://www.gifthorsegallery.com/proddetail.asp?prod=hdc6660

cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony
Mar. 5, 2011, 10:34 AM
I LOVE these anatomical girths, great quality leather and really inexpensive too! Only $89
Its the only girth that doesn't gall my pony.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=delfina+girth&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Coreene
Mar. 5, 2011, 10:43 AM
Big fat sheepskin Mattes. Got it on eBay NWT, which saved me a lot of $$.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Mar. 6, 2011, 12:41 AM
Anyone tried the Kieffer Anatomical girth?