PDA

View Full Version : Will a Mohair Cord Girth Stretch?

supaflyskye
Mar. 3, 2011, 01:25 PM
I figured the dressage forum would be the most appropriate place to ask, as I am potentially purchasing a dressage length girth.

I'm looking to buy a mohair cord girth for my ridiculously small horse. He's also sensitive, girthy horse. The Le Tixerant girth has really not helped in this regard, so I'm considering other girth options.
The billets on one of my saddles are longer than on the other, and while a 20" girth fits quite nicely on one(I already have a suitable girth for this saddle), the saddle w/ slightly longer billets needs a shorter girth. The shortest I've been able to find a real mohair cord girth(colour does not matter), is 18". I would rather have 16", but 18" should theoretically be alright as long as I can guarantee that it will not stretch at all. It seems, though, that given the material, it might.
Does anyone here have experience in this matter? Or better yet - know where I could find a 16" mohair cord girth?

This horse is 15.3hh, by the way. Takes a cob size in everything and has holes punched in his bridles. It's really just silly how finely built he is!

buck22
Mar. 3, 2011, 03:58 PM
it might just be my imagination, but I find my mohair girths and cinches stretch and retract slightly with use/moisture... ie, when used a lot and dirty/sweathy stretch a teensy bit, and then when washed and dried shrink back to size. Again, so subtle it might be my imagination, but I seem to notice this only with mohair.

these folks custom made a girth for me, they might do a 16" order?
http://www.mossrockendurance.com/view_product.asp?category_ID=9&prod_ID=353

I really like this girth too btw, the buckle guards are neoprene on the buckle side, but leather on the horse side, a nice touch imo.

SmartAlex
Mar. 3, 2011, 04:05 PM
They stretch even while you are saddleing. In fact, I think mohair is almost as stretchable as elastic. I haven't had mine long enough to know whether it will grow over time though. I think if you wash and shrink it, it will grow with use again.

Mr.GMan
Mar. 3, 2011, 04:31 PM
So if they do stretch, should you get a size smaller than you usually buy?

SmartAlex
Mar. 3, 2011, 04:36 PM
Actually I did. My horse wears a 54" elastic ended leather girth. I bought a 52" mohair one for my side saddle and it is plenty long enough. It requires a little effort to just get it on the billets, then by the time I'm done tightening, it is up about 4 holes on each side the same as his other girth is.

merrygoround
Mar. 3, 2011, 04:37 PM
I would buy the size you usually use.My experience is that they have some give in them but are far from an elastic ended girth.

The most obvious stretch out comes after washing.

Invite
Mar. 3, 2011, 05:12 PM
My mohair girths have stretched. I had to have a saddler make me a small leather girth.

didgery
Mar. 3, 2011, 05:17 PM
My Moss Rock Endurance girth hasn't stretched much, and I've had it for a couple of years now. I use it to trail ride in a Wintec Isabel. I LOVE it. It may be the best tack purchase I have ever made. The comfort for my slippery and thin-skinned mule is incredible.

supaflyskye
Mar. 3, 2011, 05:24 PM
I do have any elastic ended girths at the moment, so my statements about the size girth I need is not based upon having the give of elastic. I need at least an 18", though a 16" would probably be more ideal, non elastic girth.

I'm more wondering if the girth will stretch more permanently over time. If I use it daily for 6 months (or however long) will it come to be an inch longer? Because if all I'm able to acquire is an 18", that will not do.
Edit: I see that posts made while I was taking forever to type up my response (I'm at work and on a phone) adressed the question above. Thank you for the input!

kdow
Mar. 3, 2011, 08:10 PM
I do have any elastic ended girths at the moment, so my statements about the size girth I need is not based upon having the give of elastic. I need at least an 18", though a 16" would probably be more ideal, non elastic girth.

I'm more wondering if the girth will stretch more permanently over time. If I use it daily for 6 months (or however long) will it come to be an inch longer? Because if all I'm able to acquire is an 18", that will not do.
Edit: I see that posts made while I was taking forever to type up my response (I'm at work and on a phone) adressed the question above. Thank you for the input!

If you're willing to spend a bit, ArtCords seems to be really knowledgeable about mohair girths and will custom make them for you. They aren't the cheapest in the world, though.

It might be worth sending them off an email just to see what they'd suggest and what the cost would be.

buck22
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:11 PM
I'm more wondering if the girth will stretch more permanently over time.
I've had the moss rock girth I posted for a few years now, and my mohair cinches I've had for over a decade, they haven't permanently stretched to my observation, they still fit more or less the same, I just notice they get looser as they get used more and tighten back up after a wash. My cinches still look brand new too. I just love mohair for a girth.

It very well might depend on quality, both material and construction. I usually buy the best I can afford.

didgery
Mar. 4, 2011, 08:02 PM
Moss Rock will make their dressage or endurance girths in any length—if you're willing to spend a hundred bucks, I highly recommend going through them and getting the size you need.

hundredacres
Mar. 4, 2011, 08:12 PM
Mine is terribly stretchy - the first time I used it was the first time I had a fall in over 20 years: the horse balked and the saddle slipped because the girth had loosened so much in just a few minutes of riding the very first time. After that experience, I just can't bring myself to use it again :(.