PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay for lessons?

cu.at.x
Mar. 3, 2011, 04:21 AM
Feel free to use the poll option if you want to be anonymous.

n2dressage
Mar. 3, 2011, 04:26 AM
40€ for 30 minutes with a Grand Prix rider here in Deutschland :D

luchiamae
Mar. 3, 2011, 05:30 AM
$55.00 for an hour (Australian Dollars)

pointtaker86
Mar. 3, 2011, 05:36 AM
Depends on who I take the lesson from. It runs from 65 to 85 a hour

dudleyc
Mar. 3, 2011, 06:24 AM
$130 an hour from one of the most famous trainers in the country

blackhorsegirl
Mar. 3, 2011, 07:19 AM
$55-65. Over 150 with a big name trainer. Do you feel you are over charged?

AllWeatherGal
Mar. 3, 2011, 07:24 AM
I paid $65 in southern California with one of the (other?) most famous trainers/instructors in the US, $55 with my regular northern California trainer (that was old-long-time-student rates) and currently $85 with a trainer in central Florida.

Nope, not overcharged at all.

I tend to gravitate towards trainers/teachers who seek continuity (rather than semi-regular clinics) with students and they are willing to price their time accordingly.

blackhorsegirl
Mar. 3, 2011, 07:30 AM
When I lived near my trainer, she charged $55. We've bought our own place an hour and a half away. If I can get 6 lessons, she'll come and charge 65 due to gas prices. She's still a bargain!

Essie
Mar. 3, 2011, 08:50 AM
I pay $40.00 for 30 minutes. It's the deal of the century.

WBLover
Mar. 3, 2011, 08:57 AM
Unfortunately since I keep my horse at home and trailer out to lessons, my lesson has to include a trailer in fee, so it's $65 for the trainer + $15 for the barn--UGGGH! But the trainer is worth it!

Dressage_Julie
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:52 AM
Trainer comes to our barn, so we do pay a bit for him to travel/put up with traffic. Mine is over $70 but worth every penny from an amazing trainer and rider! :)

myvanya
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:52 AM
One trainer I pay $45 for 50 minutes at her barn. The other I haven't lessoned with in a while since I am currently boarding with the previously mentioned trainer, but I think she was $60 for an hour and she came to me. I mostly worked off my lessons from her though. I have that option with the trainer I board with now too as my time allows too but I haven't really had time lately (stupid paying job :winkgrin:)

mg
Mar. 3, 2011, 10:20 AM
$65 for lesson + haul in. Plus side? No real "set time." The instructor spends however long we need to accomplish the task. That means it may be a 30-minute lesson one time or a 2-hour lesson another. (she obviously does not do this if she has another lesson scheduled after you and the person is waiting; that would be rude. But that hasn't happened when I've scheduled lessons). I definitely feel like I get my money's worth.

Piaffe11
Mar. 3, 2011, 11:30 AM
I pay $60 for an hour or $30 if I'm just doing a half hour (Canadian).

dudleyc
Mar. 3, 2011, 11:41 AM
since I seem to pay the most, do I get a prize lol

Eventer007
Mar. 3, 2011, 11:58 AM
Between $30 and $75 for regular lessons, depending on who and location. Over $150 for big name trainers :winkgrin:

for 45 min. to an hour lessons, FWIW

netg
Mar. 3, 2011, 12:08 PM
$40 (regularly) or $50 (regular clinician) depending on which trainer.

My lessons often go an hour and a half, because if I ask her to ride, and she doesn't have another lesson to finish up for, we each tend to end up riding about 45 minutes. She's in love with my horse, and thrilled I chose to buy him a year ago. :)

jenm
Mar. 3, 2011, 03:02 PM
I pay $55 for my trainer and $120 when the BNT comes up once a month.

cu.at.x
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:06 PM
Wide range here. I guess of course it depends on your region, and the trainer's expertise. I paid $50 for a 45-60 minute lesson in Columbus Ohio. I see now that starting this year she's tacked on $10 for use of a school horse. Even in western WA, $45-50 seems like the norm. I did find one that was significantly higher (not a BNT), which is why I posted this thread.

PlatinumVt
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:15 PM
I currently pay $55 for an hour lesson. It's usually $65, but I get a boarder's discount. I have paid a variety of prices in the past, and oddly the highest I paid ($85) was not worth it. I took a few lessons and then ended it. I couldn't figure out how she justified her prices.

quietann
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:38 PM
Two sets here:

1. I pay $500 up front for 8 one hour lessons on a "schoolmistress" (schooled to 4th level, I am much lower than that but am learning a lot!)

2. I pay $55 each (may go to $65 depending on BO's rules), plus $30 to the BO as a lease fee, for one-hour lessons on a retired eventer. These are flat lessons from a jumper trainer who values and teaches flat work, the sort that makes new jumper lesson students stop jumping, and they cannot return to jumping until he's comfortable with their flat work. Generally, I have the first lesson of the day, and he sets up whatever exercise he will be using with the jumper students, but uses ground rails instead of jumps for me. I ride in my dressage saddle. His exercises combine turns, lateral work, changes of gait, etc. and the different moves come very quickly -- which is useful for me, thinking about dressage tests. I occasionally pay this trainer $35 for a half-hour being expert "eyes on the ground" while I ride my horse, who is recovering from an injury. I find his input on her rehab process to be very helpful.

MelantheLLC
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:38 PM
$650/mo full training, 5 rides/lessons/week. Now that I break it down per lesson that's a really good deal!

inca
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:43 PM
$55 for 45 minutes (often ends up being an hour) from my regular trainer

$135 for 45 minutes from the person I clinic with whenever he comes over from Germany (3-4 times per year.) I get so much from these lessons that I would pay it every week if he were here all the time!

MeghanDACVA
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:58 PM
Depends on who I am taking from.
I have paid as little as $35 to as much as $150.

katie+tru
Mar. 3, 2011, 10:08 PM
I believe my trainer charges either $30 or $35 for a 45 minute private or semi-private lesson. All beginner lessons (on the lunge) are one-on-one, but as students progress to riding loose they may ride with one or two other kids at times. She offers a great bargain, for $100/month they get Saturday lessons every week and and can stop up once after school during the week if they want.

Somantu
Mar. 4, 2011, 12:27 AM
$56.50 a lesson ($50 plus 13% HST)

That's a private lesson that lasts as long as it needs to. Can be anywhere from 20 to 75 minutes, depending on what we need to work on and how well horsie and I are doing.

my_doran
Mar. 4, 2011, 08:30 AM
pay $30-40 cdn..but have paid at the $75 cdn price range in the past

quietann
Mar. 4, 2011, 08:37 AM
$650/mo full training, 5 rides/lessons/week. Now that I break it down per lesson that's a really good deal!

Yes, when I had my mare in full training for $700/month, it was definitely a good deal compared to what I am paying now. My biggest problem is board costs at a full-training barn; any place close to me (which the previous training barn was not), full board will start at about $900.

Petstorejunkie
Mar. 4, 2011, 12:25 PM
I dont have anyone local to me that I've found to be a good fit, so I stick to traveling to BNT's for now.
I pay anywhere from $100-250 a lesson
I obviously lesson less often than if I were with a lower level instructor, but I feel it's worth it.

TBrescue
Mar. 5, 2011, 02:09 PM
$75 for around an hour (or as long as it takes) with my regular trainer

fatwhitepony
Mar. 5, 2011, 07:34 PM
I pay anywhere from $120-230 per lesson when I take them. This is with European FEI judges and bereiters from the SRS. I always have them come to my farm. I do not trailer out to other facilities to ride as I want my own students to be able to take advantage of this expertise as well.

I charge $40 for my lessons. Which is 'expensive' because I live in the buttcrack of the Northeast where people are lucky to have enough money to own a car that runs. :( At least they have money to ride!

Clever Pony
Mar. 5, 2011, 07:44 PM
since I seem to pay the most, do I get a prize lol

Only if I can have a prize for paying the least!

I pay $25 for a 45-60 minute lesson and my coach stops by the farmer's market to pick up apples for the ponies on the way to my barn. I'm super super lucky with my coach. She's been the working student for the local olympian team for the last two years and I am always very very impressed with her.

I do on occasion take lessons from another coach in the area that teaches classical dressage for $45 for a half hour if I have the extra money.

EaglesWings
Mar. 5, 2011, 07:46 PM
I pay $40 for an hour on one of my trainer's horses.

fatwhitepony
Mar. 5, 2011, 08:07 PM
Only if I can have a prize for paying the least!

I pay $25 for a 45-60 minute lesson and my coach stops by the farmer's market to pick up apples for the ponies on the way to my barn. I'm super super lucky with my coach. She's been the working student for the local olympian team for the last two years and I am always very very impressed with her.

I do on occasion take lessons from another coach in the area that teaches classical dressage for $45 for a half hour if I have the extra money.

Sorry Dudley...looks like I get the prize! Um, what is the prize? Oh, does frequency play a role? I do this monthly, several lessons a weekend.