PDA

View Full Version : Lease rider saddle recommendations

Give and Take
Mar. 2, 2011, 11:42 PM
Hi all,

I'm a jumper rider but my friend who leases my 19yr old 17'2hh semi-retired ex-jumper to do dressage wants to buy her own saddle for her 50th b-day.

She likes a narrower pommel. 'George', my horse, uses a medium gullet in the wintec pro with a lift pad.

Thought I'd ask for suggestions on saddles for her to try that she wouldn't necessarily have to sell and start all over if George ever fully retires.

TIA!

Valentina_32926
Mar. 4, 2011, 09:09 AM
My guess is she needs a narrow twist, a big boy like that needs a wide gullet to handle his large vertebrae.

Have her go to the local tack shop and see if she can "borrow" (i.e. use a credit card or check in case borrower never returns the saddles) some used saddle to see how they fit her and the horse.

alto
Mar. 4, 2011, 03:01 PM
I think she would do well to invest in an older model Schleese such as this one (http://http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/catalog.htm?Iit=968&Ict=2) which has the completely adjustable Hennig tree - she most likely would need to book in with a Schleese rep to test/adjust the fit of the saddle initially (I believe that some other fitters will adjust this saddle but then you lose the tree warranty - assuming that the tree warranty even extends to non-original owner saddles).
If she sends in wither tracings of your horse, she can start with a saddle that is likely to fit him & progress from there ...

She needs to find a saddle that fits her nicely & is less restrictive of fit on various horses - the wool flocked, half panels combined with the adjustable tree is why I chose the above example.

CatPS
Mar. 4, 2011, 03:16 PM
I prefer a narrow twist and lease a horse that takes a wide gullet... and I just bought a Collegiate Convertible Dressage saddle. It has the Wintec/Bates gullet system as well as flocked panels, so while it certainly won't fit any horse imaginable, it is about as adjustable as you can get. You can find them new online for just a smidge under a thousand bucks, and I think the quality is far more than you would ever expect at that price point. People are always shocked when I tell them what I paid for mine. They are a little difficult to find used, which I believe reflects how much people love these saddles and the fact that they can be used on multiple horses much more easily than most others.

Give and Take
Mar. 4, 2011, 06:14 PM
great - thanks! i'll let her know.